Refill Adblue containers at pump

Can you refill 10litre or any other size Adblue containers at an Adblue pump at filling stations?
Seems cheap enough, 59p Vat inclusive.
Was told there is a device to prevent this on the nozzle?
anybody tried?

When I got first adblue vehicle I gave the driver a 10 litre container to keep just in case he ran ou down the road as we didn’t know how long the adblue would last. After 6 months he hadn’t needed it so we tipped it into the tank.
Looking at the empty container it was just a bog standard container, nothing to prevent it being refilled.

Unless they’ve changed in the meantime?

Thanks Coiler.
I realise theres nowt wrong with containers. Ive got 10 but was wondering if any body had tried refilling at Adblue pump in services etc.
Was told the pump would just click unless it went in the narrow neck on truck Adblue tank.

Adblue pumps have a magnetic switch in the nozzle activated by a radial magnet in the neck of the tank on the vehicle, the pump will not work without this magnet around the nozzle. If anybody has managed to fill a container then the switch on the nozzle has been de-activated.This is supposedly to prevent contamination of the adblue or putting adblue in the diesel.
Google adblue magnets and you can find suppliers, mine cost around £30.

Many thanks Matamoros. Thats the info I was looking for :smiley: :smiley:

matamoros:

Can’t I just use the one off my gearbox? :wink:

Harry Monk:

matamoros:

Can’t I just use the one off my gearbox? :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In seriousness, they are a PITA, about 50% of the AdBlue pumps I use need to have the trigger feathered so lightly that it takes all afternoon to fill the tank up, pull it by more than a sixteenth of an inch and it clicks off. I don’t know whether this is due to the magnet in my tank having weakened, but I would always suspect switch failure before magnet failure.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Harry Monk:
In seriousness, they are a PITA, about 50% of the AdBlue pumps I use need to have the trigger feathered so lightly that it takes all afternoon to fill the tank up, pull it by more than a sixteenth of an inch and it clicks off. I don’t know whether this is due to the magnet in my tank having weakened, but I would always suspect switch failure before magnet failure.

Yes, thats happened to me a few times. Ive left without topping up because I thought there were defective nozzles

Harry Monk:

Morrisons at J41 was terrible, over 10 minutes to get 6 litres in, another reason why I was glad my old firms London branches took all the shiny new Ivecos.

I’ve been told that I can’t fill a container (from own pump) to put in the side locker, in case I might sell it :open_mouth: , seriously WTF, I carry anything from waste yarn to Scotlands finest export and I cant be trusted with six quids worth of ■■■■.

mixer driver too:

Harry Monk:

Yes, thats happened to me a few times. Ive left without topping up because I thought there were defective nozzles

I’ve had the same problem at Magor services , gave up trying to fill up there

( got an IBC at home now )

It seems the norm took me 10mins to get 30 litres at lymm again!
There is obviously a fault somwere the truck is only 12 months old

i went to a pump once, and a bloke told me it was [zb]ed. he was sort of right. it just needed a stronger magnet than the one in the filler.
and as it happens, i had one. :laughing: worked a treat.