Do you need a Class C license to drive a Road Sweeper

Do you need a Class C license to drive a Road Sweeper, i have been told i can drive these on my car license :open_mouth: The vehicle is a 15ton Johnstone Mechanical sweeper.

No, you need a Class 2 license.

Sam Millar:

Would you believe i was told by someone from VOSA that a car license is sufficient as its classed as Industrial Plant.

NoobieTrucker:

Sam Millar:

Would you believe i was told by someone from VOSA that a car license is sufficient as its classed as Industrial Plant.

Actually, itā€™s possible. Iā€™m not best qualified to tell you, someone that knows for sure will be along soon. I think itā€™s slightly different if youā€™re driving it on the streets doing road sweeping but whether that differentiates from using it after a new piece of road has just been tarred and you roll it off the back of a low loader - i couldnā€™t tell you.

I know there are some exemptions when it comes to tacho etc with industrial plant but I have never heard it for licenses.

I have a class C license anyway but have to admit Iā€™m shocked to think you can drive these Machines with a car license, still not sure even though Iā€™ve been told by VOSA Employee, hard to get my head around. oh and i drive it on the public roads.

NoobieTrucker:

If it was it would be exempt however I canā€™t see how it would be classed as that.

mrpj:
If it was it would be exempt however I canā€™t see how it would be classed as that.

I canā€™t either mate thats why Iā€™m confused. :confused:

There are certain large vehicles you can drive with a B license but as far as I can see a 15 tonne road sweeper isnā€™t one of them.

Driving larger goods vehicles (LGV) on a car driving licence

this one you can drive on a car license and its 4 wheel drive on 3 axels and weighs in at 25 tonne, oh and it runs on red diesel as well, and the guy that drives it goes all over the country :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

classed as forestry plant

tachograph:
There are certain large vehicles you can drive with a B license but as far as I can see a 15 tonne road sweeper isnā€™t one of them.

Yeah canā€™t see it mentioned there, Im even more confused now lol

wildfire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6jxLcU488-U

this one you can drive on a car license and its 4 wheel drive on 3 axels and weighs in at 25 tonne, oh and it runs on red diesel as well, and the guy that drives it goes all over the country :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

classed as forestry plant

Now thats a beast, does it drive on public highways as its running on red diesel ? or is that immaterial !!!

NoobieTrucker:
does it drive on public highways as its running on red diesel ? or is that immaterial !!!

Was that a daft question lol :blush:

Dunno then if this has cleared up my question or not, after reading directgov site, then the 25 ton forestry chipper threw me again

Yeah I can drive a fully laden artic at 18 but not a road steamer :unamused:

NoobieTrucker:
Dunno then if this has cleared up my question or not, after reading directgov site, then the 25 ton forestry chipper threw me again

The forestry vehicle can be driven on a B license because it is a ā€œgoods vehicle, other than an agricultural motor vehicle, which is used only for purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry:ā€ as said on the DirectGov website.

Still canā€™t see a where a road sweeper comes into it though unless itā€™s used for the purpose of road construction which presumably isnā€™t what youā€™re talking about.

I suspect you was told wrong by the VOSA bod, he may have been thinking of one of the small road sweepers you see running round mainly on pavements, I could be wrong though :wink:

tachograph:
I suspect you was told wrong by the VOSA bod, he may have been thinking of one of the small road sweepers you see running round mainly on pavements, I could be wrong though :wink:

Thanks for the advice m8, :smiley: i drive the wee sweepers as well there 4.2 ton would you believe. :astonished:

NoobieTrucker:

tachograph:

Thanks for the advice m8, :smiley: i drive the wee sweepers as well there 4.2 ton would you believe. :astonished:

The small ones are 4.2 ton :astonished:, well you learn something new every day here :smiley:

I work for go plant sweepers and yes we need class c to drive the sweepers jhonstone daf and iveco,s .we are not on tacho or logbooks.

sketchybob:
I work for go plant sweepers and yes we need class c to drive the sweepers jhonstone daf and iveco,s .we are not on tacho or logbooks.

I work with Sketchybob and although there is one vehicle in our fleet that can be driven with a 7.5, generally you do need a cat C. when sweeping we are classed as ā€œmachine operatorā€ but if you are sweeping/driving on any public highway or driving in between jobs or to and from base you must have cat C. At the moment sweepers are tacho exempt but that may change in the future.
Rich

Think ill be arguing with VOSA next time i seen them lol :laughing: