Tipper franchise?

Hi been driving a road sweeper now for about 3 month and always in and out of quarry’s and I have noticed most tippers are all owner drivers and the mqp trucks are franchise how does this work anyone on here doing it ? Does it pay how do you get the work etc
I’m interested in this and just wanting info really thanks …

Hi, I think there was a thread on here recently regarding the Tarmac tippers, and how a few of the guys were being parked up. I don’t know how to post a link to it but if you search you should find it.

As for how to start up doing it why not speak to the tipper guys that you work alongside, most of them will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

Being franchised means taking whatever work the company give you; Have you considered being an independant, who can do his own work? You can still get work from the big companies but you can choose which jobs to leave well alone if the rates are low. PM Dave The Renegaade for some advice as he’s a cpc holder for some Tarmac hauliers on the Welsh borders.

thats about right and a lot of the big companys just about give you enough work to pay your monthly rent on the truck and they dont have to give you extra,think it was good thing years ago some of the quarry lads made good money,especially when there was big road jobs.

hanson:
thats about right and a lot of the big companys just about give you enough work to pay your monthly rent on the truck and they dont have to give you extra,think it was good thing years ago some of the quarry lads made good money,especially when there was big road jobs.

Ideally you always need a large construction job as it at least means that there will be work available when the ‘one off’ loads have dwindled BUT I have never found any of the large jobs to be anything other than cut rate! Also beware of ‘interplant jobs’ ie running to the same companies tar and concrete plants with aggregate or sand as these are normally about two thirds of the rate of a ‘proper’ load of similar mileage. Plenty of work also doesn’t equal plenty of money, some loads are better off being left in the office if you will be running around wasting fuel, there will always be some crackpot willing to work for less than the going rate. As an ex driver paid on earnings I learned that when a quarry was desperate for my services it usually meant that the job was a bad one, no shortage of trucks for the premium work :unamused:

Pete.

windrush:
Ideally you always need a large construction job as it at least means that there will be work available when the ‘one off’ loads have dwindled BUT I have never found any of the large jobs to be anything other than cut rate! Also beware of ‘interplant jobs’ ie running to the same companies tar and concrete plants with aggregate or sand as these are normally about two thirds of the rate of a ‘proper’ load of similar mileage. Plenty of work also doesn’t equal plenty of money, some loads are better off being left in the office if you will be running around wasting fuel, there will always be some crackpot willing to work for less than the going rate. As an ex driver paid on earnings I learned that when a quarry was desperate for my services it usually meant that the job was a bad one, no shortage of trucks for the premium work :unamused:

Pete.

Good advice ^. Usually this time of the year is busy but I’ve never known it so dead. Maybe the councils are ‘digesting’ their budgets and deciding what to spend the dough on. I’m not so sure. To give you an example heres my day;

Today i went for my first load from the quarry since last Tuesday ( :frowning: ). Twenty wagons standing, all contracted hauliers. I only had a load because it had to go on a 6x4. Having tipped my load, I was told to go home (10:15).

I had a loads to do for myself. In the quarry there were nine wagons standing (they only have about 15 regulars). As you leave you can see across the road into another quarry. Lots of trucks standing. Thats the reality at the moment. I would be suicidal if I’d bought a new wagon on HP and were paying their crappy HP rates to boot.

Windrush the intercompany thing goes on around here: Some of the subbies we use have franchised wagons and will try to sneak a load for us after doing “one for premix” at a discount rate. Problem is Pete is that we have some teararse charlie firms nearby who do this moat of the time as their main work…

Hammer if things are bad and you can get a load out this way, you’d get work for Smiths; Can’t get many hired 6ws around here…if nights out aren’t a problem.

Thanks for the info guys think I will have a chat to a few drivers, it’s just a thought and thinking about a long term job ,I actually enjoy driving the sweeper maby look into to owner driving one…

Starting up as a tipper operator at the moment is very risky venture.There are a load of operators packing the tipper job up this way because they aren’t breaking even.

Muckaway:
Hammer if things are bad and you can get a load out this way, you’d get work for Smiths; Can’t get many hired 6ws around here…if nights out aren’t a problem.

Muckaway, thank you for the offer. If its still like this in a week, I might take you up on it. I’m hoping that the councils are wrestling with their budgets and deciding what to spend it on. It did dip last year, just not this bad.

Not sure I fancy a week in a Hino with no curtains or nightheater but needs must! I’ll let you know. Thank you.

sketchybob:
Thanks for the info guys think I will have a chat to a few drivers, it’s just a thought and thinking about a long term job ,I actually enjoy driving the sweeper maby look into to owner driving one…

If I was you then I would definatly look at a sweeper instead. Its more of a niche market than tippers, although someone who knows sweepers may tell me thats total rubbish. Niche markets is where the money is :sunglasses: .

I would try and find out all you can whilst doing your current job. Write down fuel consumption figures, maintenance and tyre costs, insurance issues (is there some hidden extras the insurance firms insist on?) etc. Try to find out what your firm charges customers, look at Truck Trader to see what they are selling for. Do you need a waste carriers licence etc?

Do all the numbers, use your job and experience to inform your decision and if it stacks up then go for it.

hammer:
Not sure I fancy a week in a Hino with no curtains or nightheater but needs must! I’ll let you know. Thank you.

That wont be a problem Hammer, Muckaway finds himself somewhere local on his very occasional nights out that even includes a bed warmer, you could use it as well I guess! :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:

hammer:

That wont be a problem Hammer, Muckaway finds himself somewhere local on his very occasional nights out that even includes a bed warmer, you could use it as well I guess! :laughing:

Pete.

Aslong as Callum gets read a Thomas the tank story, he’s friendly enough. :laughing:

Don,t bother OD,S parking up for good up here!!! Clitheroes bottom tar plant being shutdown on the 1st May,what work there is, is now being mixed on the Barber Green!! 20+ trucks @25 minutes a truck to load, plus clean outs■■? :confused: :frowning: A days work now starts with a cut rate dry from Skipton Rock back to Clitheroe,tip, sit around MAYBE GET A TAR? thats is. :open_mouth:

Here’s an idea; A lot of one man band/small outfits seem to have sprung up around here operating grab tippers.

There is nothing to be earned on the franchise side of things at the moment.

I work for a company that has franchised trucks in Hanson quarries, there isn’t much work about and they have
just changed to a new system (SAP) which has cut a lot of mileages and the way we were paid for overnight loads.

I’d be suprised if my bosses are making it pay and am worried about the way things are going.

sketchybob:

Hiya …STAY ON THE SWEEPER…tarmac made all the drivers self employed at cauldon low quarry 25 yeras ago,
things was better then, after 5 years or so the lorries was getting rough the rates was only just covering
the running cost. one way out sell up, only a couple made it. one was a good mechanic who was servicing
the lorries for drivers and running 3or4 of his own. plus was in a good position to buy lorries at a good price.
John

Cemex have employed drivers as they can’t get enough subbies on the mixers and tippers.

Stick with the sweeper, when the WTD for ODs kicks in proper and there are prosocutions ODs wont be worth a light, you will find you have loads of work then no hours to do it(or get a driver frought with dangers) then you will have loads of hours and no work that is what its like in construction,ho and then there is the weather,most will not pay a fair rate,they need a dose of a fleet like the old days with a good union man, they dont know their born at the minute.