West Cumberland Farmers Selby

this is who my dad worked for does any one have any more photos of wcf im trying to find one of a 6 wheeler volvo f86 tanker he had LYG 579K

The F86 LYG 579K that Andy is looking for is a Dry Powder tanker.
Other WCF trucks in Yorks.

Same trailer with an F86 Unit

yorkyjoy:
The F86 LYG 579K that Andy is looking for is a Dry Powder tanker.
Other WCF trucks in Yorks.

yorkyjoy, Just out of interest/curiousity, do you know which airfield this was taken, could it be Silloth in ■■■■■■■■

West ■■■■■■■■■■ Farmers used to be the largest Farmers organisation in the UK, it is now a shadow of itself http://www.wcf.co.uk/

They had around 20 lorries based at Silloth on the sea front next to Carrs Flour Mills and beside where the fair is, these lorries were known as Silloth Haulage, the Scammell in the photo has Silloth Haulage written on it’s cab.

Didn’t notice the Silloth on the door :blush: :unamused: . Do you know who the Scammel driver was George ? one of the 4wheelers was driven by a guy called Watson who went on to be Transport manager at Carrs, and a six wheeler driven by Selwyn Cook who is now on for Markley, and I think Bill “Wuzzel” Wilson drove for them at one time also.

robroy:
Didn’t notice the Silloth on the door :blush: :unamused: . Do you know who the Scammel driver was George ? one of the 4wheelers was driven by a guy called Watson who went on to be Transport manager at Carrs, and a six wheeler driven by Selwyn Cook who is now on for Markley, and I think Bill “Wuzzel” Wilson drove for them at one time also.

No too sure, I was only a small boy at that time, I remember them having some lorries in the yellow Goldenlay Eggs Livery.

[/quote]
yorkyjoy, Just out of interest/curiousity, do you know which airfield this was taken, could it be Silloth in ■■■■■■■■
[/quote]
Sorry, can’t tell you where the photo was taken, but it was sent down to the ( YHU Yorkshire haulage Unit ) because it was deemed to be too big for farm work at the Silloth unit and we had plenty of work that it could do in Yorks, (quite a bit of the time running back up north ) Did not keep the Crusader to long though because it was too heavy and would not carry 20tons so it was changed for the F86 GAO 432 N which could carry 20.5 tons. :smiley: :smiley:

The driver of the Scammell was Tony Faulder from Carlisle. and yes the photo looks like one of the two the poultry units operated by WCF at Kirkbride the other two were run by Carr,s. Dennis Holliday then Jackson Strong were transport managers for WCF at Silloth where the surgery now is, Jackson moved into Carr’s trnasport office when WCF closed their haulage unit. The Scammell was deemed too heavy and too big for ■■■■■■■■ farms, I remember an occassion when after getting into Orton Grange farm where the new roundabout is today Tony had extreme difficulty in getting himself out which led to its transfer to Selby. Leyland 600

georgeking:
West ■■■■■■■■■■ Farmers used to be the largest Farmers organisation in the UK, it is now a shadow of itself http://www.wcf.co.uk/

They had around 20 lorries based at Silloth on the sea front next to Carrs Flour Mills and beside where the fair is, these lorries were known as Silloth Haulage, the Scammell in the photo has Silloth Haulage written on it’s cab.

I was told that WCF were,at one time,the Largest Farmers co-operative in western Europe.I also recall that the “plumb job” as a Nat West manager was their Whitehaven branch where the WCF a/c was held only when one of my old Nat West managers at Kendal was given the job he didn’t really want it,so he kept his house on in Kendal and rented a property in St. Bees as this was his last branch until he retired and returned to Kendal ! The only dealings I had with WCF was when their Fuel division tried to buy out Delta Fuels Ltd. of Kendal where I was a 50% shareholder,it transpired that all they wanted,the cheeky ■■■■■■■■■■■■ our customer list so I told their Director to Foxtrot Oscar ! Cheers Bewick.