Adelaide Car Insurance

From their website…

Adelaide Insurance Services in partnership with the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists), the UK’s leading road safety charity have put together an outstanding package that recognises the high standard of driving skills that UK LGV/HGV drivers have acquired in passing the rigorous LGV test therefore making them better CAR drivers. With these enhanced driving skills we see these drivers as less of an insurance risk on the road than your average car driver and as a result could save them some money on their personal car insurance! (Business car insurance excluded)

adelaideinsurance.com/lgv

Anyone use them? Are they cheaper than the cheapest on comparison sites?

Have done for three years now. First year they matched the best I had from anywhere else, second year they were almost exactly the same as the lowest and last year they were £35 less than the nearest other quote; that at least covered my I.A.M. membership subs, which I would have paid anyway. I check with at least 3 of the comparison sites every time.

You do have to be a full I.A.M. member to benefit though.

What they told me was that if more members used the service there would be more “evidence” to support the claim for lower premiums. It has worked for me :slight_smile:

Just uploaded my details thinking my car insurance was due next month (March).

Had a check of my details and found my insurance doesn’t expire 'til July! :astonished:

Oh well… at least I’m registered ready for then… :slight_smile:

i have just had a quote from them, they beat every one else and i checked that i would have third party cover on vehicles not owned by me, as all of the others said as an lgv driver i would not be covered. and i only found out when reading the renewal from my original company i was still listed as a transport manager and said can you change it to stay legal and straight away lost the third party cover which i was told was non negotiable. so off to adelaide for me.

Used them for the past 3 years but this year they were not the cheapest so went elsewhere and saved over £50 for like for like cover

I did give them the opportunity to match my current insurer by they would or could not

The only thing I have lost is insurance doing IAM demo drives but as I did only 1 a year on average then I just will not bother doing them

I took out a policy with them a couple of weeks ago, got a very good price from them. But they called me on Saturday and told me they had increased my excess by £50 due to the fact that my lowest quote from another insurer had a higher excess.

been with them 4yrs, compared them this year (just to check) and they’re still competitive

I went to them this year when i spotted the same advert in Truck and Driver,i thought it would be the usual hidden scam crap to drag you in, but i was mistaken,i got far better cover and extras than my old policy for £180 less than i was paying for a crap policy.
Well worth a quote.

I renewed with them via the IAM Surety scheme in January - and claimed a new windscreen this week (£70 excess) after getting a crack/chip from a chucked stone last w/e in Essex.

My only negative experience, so far, was receiving duff advice from their weekend staff (in the R O Ireland) who told me to book a replacement from their ‘…UK preferred partner, Autoglass…’

I’m glad that I double checked with Adelaide’s Belfast office at the first office hour opportunity because their preferred partner on the Mainland is the AA - and that had I gone ahead with an Autoglass job then I would have not been supported: Gumph…!

I use them for both the car and bike - I am an IAM member.

Got my renewal last week at £257 inc breakdown cover - had a shop around and got a quote for £187 x breakdown. Had a chat with one of their call centre staff and they looked at the figures and gave me coverage for £189 all in but no bd cover.

They are good and all their staff are based in Belfast and will haggle.

P

Tried them today. Nice people and they came in 250 quid cheaper than my previous mob whose price has always been good and little lower than the market in general :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

250 quids worth of extra beer rations for Billy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Used them last week saved over £200, will be giving them a bell for my bike insurance in a couple of months :slight_smile:

Had my my car insurance renweal through current insurer last week… £442!!! :open_mouth:

Rang Adelaide, £261! :smiley: :smiley: And that’s with 9 years NCD protected and the wife on the policy too. :grimacing:

m i doing something wrong, everytime i fill in one of those internet forms and it asks if you have and advance driving qualifications HGV never comes up in the choice of answers, surley this is advance qualifications??

Madguy :smiling_imp:

madguy:
m i doing something wrong, everytime i fill in one of those internet forms and it asks if you have and advance driving qualifications HGV never comes up in the choice of answers, surley this is advance qualifications??

Madguy :smiling_imp:

No it isn’t. BUT Adelaide do a deal for LGV drivers.

Well i am not sure where i was going wrong with these guys, :exclamation: When i spoke to them for a quote, the guy asked what i had already been quoted :question:
i asked him why he needed to know that and if he wanted my business then surly he could give me HIS best quote.
Apparently thats not how it works, you get the best quote you can from else where and they will beat it :question:
But then i got to thinking how can they do that unless it becomes a bit of a problem when / if you need to make a claim :question:
Plus them being based in Ireland makes for a long trip if you need to go speak to some one face to face to sort out any problems or claims.
I got the impression the guy was a bit shady :sunglasses: , his quote was only £20 better than any i had had a that time :frowning:
but he phoned me about three times a day for a week until i told him i was going else where,
and that was only because i sat down for half hour on the computer using them comparison sites and got the same cover
with less excess for £150 cheaper than Adelaide’s best quote.

My conclusion is that they can all talk the talk on the phone but when you really need them do they walk the walk :question:

Has any one using Adelaide had to claim :question: if so what was that experience like ?

Indeed, but if you had shown them the details of the online quote they would have bettered it!

I have just had the same situation where my car insurance renewal where they wanted £1400, and the previous year was £700. This year it’s £500 through Adelaide.

However, emailing stuff out is a bit iffy mostly because my email ISP rejected their mail as spam, as their mail server was not set up properly. In this day and age I would have thought it a priority so I had to give them a Googlemail address (with fully disabled spam filters) just to get my messages from them! I did tell them exactly what the problem was but haven’t had a response back. Never mind, got the insurance :wink:

Aren’t all insurers a bit shady?

If you ever need to make a claim, they hum - har, use any small ‘technicality’ and try any way not to cough up.

Yet it is law to have insurance. :imp:

At least this year, I’m only paying out bit less for it.

Goldfinger:
Aren’t all insurers a bit shady?

If you ever need to make a claim, they hum - har, use any small ‘technicality’ and try any way not to cough up.

I used to think so but I had my bike stolen in the town in Feb on a Sunday afternoon, Direct Line were excellent and paid me out (in vouchers) more than the insurance said it would cover, far more than the value of the stolen items. This was done within a week and they also sent me a load of replacement items direct from Evans cycles.

The only additional cost to me for claiming was the loss of my 10% NCB on my contents insurance.

I live in the Greater London area and my renewal came through in June! £1200 :open_mouth:
Now I have 9 years protected NCD and that was double last years cover! As said above I rang Adelaide and they advised me to find the lowest quote I can find and they would beat it so I did! AXA came back at £460 and Adelaide offered me £452 and with my missus on as a named driver! The best I’ve found to talk to aswell! :sunglasses: