Double manning

A couple of questions on the above subject, is there anywhere I can download the current drivers hours regs? Also, where does a ‘team’ stand on the current rules regarding starting work before 4am & if so, only being able to work ‘night workers hours’ (9hrs start to finish?)■■

Thanks in advance peeps.

Ross.

bigr250:
A couple of questions on the above subject, is there anywhere I can download the current drivers hours regs? Also, where does a ‘team’ stand on the current rules regarding starting work before 4am & if so, only being able to work ‘night workers hours’ (9hrs start to finish?)■■

Thanks in advance peeps.

Ross.

Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs (VOSA Guide GV262)

REGULATION (EC) No 561/2006

Cheers Tachograph, I got some reading to do;)

Ross.

bigr250:

Ross.

A basic summary…

Rules on breaks while driving are the same, the first driver can take his 45 minute break in the passenger seat after the second driver takes over and vice versa (strictly speaking, after the first driver has spent 45 minutes in the passenger seat on break, his mode switch should be changed to POA for the next 3 hours 45 minutes as he carries on being a passenger).

The vehicle itself needs to be stationary for 9 hours in every 30.

Harry Monk:
A basic summary…

Rules on breaks while driving are the same, the first driver can take his 45 minute break in the passenger seat after the second driver takes over and vice versa (strictly speaking, after the first driver has spent 45 minutes in the passenger seat on break, his mode switch should be changed to POA for the next 3 hours 45 minutes as he carries on being a passenger).

As this question was asked in the “Euro Drivers Forum” I assume bigr250 is enquiring about a trip across the water, the night workers working limits are part of the working time regulations.

Are the working time regulations enforced in any European Countries ?

Harry Monk:
after the first driver has spent 45 minutes in the passenger seat on break, his mode switch should be changed to POA for the next 3 hours 45 minutes as he carries on being a passenger

It will be on POA from when the vehicle starts moving so he won’t need to, or indeed be able to change it. The first 45 minutes of POA recorded for the card in slot 2 while multi-manning will be regarded as break.

tachograph:

I don’t think so. I’ve never had my WTD stuff checked on the mainland.

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:

OK thanks, not knowing if the WTD night time limit would need to be considered was the reason I skipped the question :neutral_face:

tachograph:

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:

OK thanks, not knowing if the WTD night time limit would need to be considered was the reason I skipped the question :neutral_face:

Like I say I’m not sure about it being checked but it might not be an issue anyway. Both could drive 9 - 10 hours and the night thing wouldn’t come into it as most of the rest of the shift will be POA/Break.

tachograph:

I would bet the farm that no policeman in mainland Europe has ever heard of the Working Time Directive.

i dont think the whole night worker hours come into play with double manning,

the thing with double manning is the driving has to be shared equally on say a 20 hour drive, otherwise itll screw everything up if one does 4 n a half and another only does 3, could see you sat parked up for 45 mins.

it has its fun double manning lol

gogzy:
i dont think the whole night worker hours come into play with double manning,

i don’t see any exemption for double manning but it’s not going to be much of an issue, at worst it would limit you to maybe 20 hours duty time instead of 21. Each driver can still have 10 hours of work and the time spent in seat 2 while the other guy is driving is going to be POA/break so you are only going to clock working time while driving, which is limited to 10 hours anyway, and checks, fuel. In reality you tend to have short breaks because just keeping on rolling for 20 hours isn’t easy, you want food and toilet stops. Throw a ferry or train crossing into the mix and there isn’t going to be 20 hours work, divided between the 2 drivers, in total within the 21 hours duty allowed.

gogzy:
the thing with double manning is the driving has to be shared equally on say a 20 hour drive, otherwise itll screw everything up if one does 4 n a half and another only does 3, could see you sat parked up for 45 mins.

You would never need to be parked for a break while double manning. You can keep the wheels turning for the 20 possible hours driving time without parking for 45 pretty much no matter how you divide up the driving.

Example.

Driver 1 - 4.5 hours driving

Driver 2 - 3 hours driving, driver 1 break

Driver 1 - 4.5 hours driving, driver 2 break

Driver 2 - 3 hours driving, driver 1 break

Driver 1 - 1 hour driving, driver 2 break

Driver 2 - 4 hours driving

Not shared equally but no need to stop for a break. You would only need to park for a while if you tried to swap drivers back over in less than 45 minutes from the previous swap.

bigr250:
Also, where does a ‘team’ stand on the current rules regarding starting work before 4am & if so, only being able to work ‘night workers hours’ (9hrs start to finish?)■■

It’s a limit of 10 hours work, that’s driving and other work only, not start to finish. So with breaks and/or POA a driver working to normal rules can still do a 15 hour duty and when multi-manning 21 hours between rest periods. Multi-manning for a full 21 hour shift you will clock a lot of break and POA.

I double man every night from 19:15 to when I finish, which varies between about 03:00 and 05:00, but only around 4 - 4.5 hours each shift counts toward the WTD and the night working limit with the rest of the shift recorded as break and/or POA.

Coffee im not saying it needs to be done equally, but its a ■■■■ sight easier if you share correctly

Harry Monk:

bigr250:

Ross.

A basic summary…

You cannot take you’re break in a moving vehicle. Don’t wish to argue just take it that I am right

spaniard1:

Harry Monk:

bigr250:

Ross.

A basic summary…

You cannot take you’re break in a moving vehicle. Don’t wish to argue just take it that I am right

Sorry, can’t take it that you are right when you are so clearly wrong. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

You cannot take a rest period in a moving vehicle but you can take a break, they are different things with different criteria. If you couldn’t there would be no need for VOSA to say that the first 45 minutes of POA for the driver with their card in slot 2 while multi-manning will be assumed to be break. You can also take a break on a ferry or train and they both move.

spaniard1:
Don’t wish to argue just take it that I am right

I might steal that sentence :smiley:

Even though it was posted by someone who was wrong :grimacing:

spaniard1:

:open_mouth: Do you understand the difference between “rest” and “break?”

I don’t wish to argue either, so that’s why I’ve asked you a question. :wink:

tachograph:

spaniard1:
Don’t wish to argue just take it that I am right

I might steal that sentence :smiley:

I already have, expect to see it on a regular basis. :smiley: :wink:

spaniard1:

Harry Monk:

bigr250:

Ross.

A basic summary…

I think that is a grey area.

See definitions below

pink chalk

revolving drivers

bull crap

speech impediment with odour

Wheel Nut:

spaniard1:

Harry Monk:

bigr250:

Ross.

A basic summary…

I think that is a grey area.

See definitions below

pink chalk

revolving drivers

bull crap

speech impediment with odour

PINK chalk :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I’m sure its Green chalk only :exclamation: :grimacing: