Latched trigger mechanisms at BP sites

Have we had a reply about the damp underwear yet?

Here is a email i sent to BP carelive regarding there HGV diesel pumps

Can somebody please tell me why all of the fast fill HGV pumps have no" latched trigger mechanism”? Or are you expecting a driver to stand there while they fill up there tanks, with more fuel that would go in your average family saloon ? Have you actually tried to do this yourself because, if you have i think that these “latched trigger mechanisms” would be on there quick smart !!

I personally have to stand there holding the trigger open using keys,wood,empty coke bottles or anything I can lay my hands on just to keep the trigger open … is that safe ■■

I was under the impression that these modern fuel dispensers are fitted with a auto cut off feature that prevents tanks being over filled and if these “latched trigger mechanism’s” have been taken off due to drivers over filling there tanks, it surely must be a problem with your pumps auto cut off malfunctioning and therefore they should not be dispensing fuel?

Therefore an excuse of “they have been taken off due to “health and safety” or “ company policy “ is rubbish because they are designed to cut off when you have filled your tank? And even if the driver is not standing next to the tank when the tank is filled the auto cut off function should work . The driver is hardly going to also build up static and make a incendive discharge due to him or her filling with diesel. I mean you would have more of a static problem with somebody wearing nylon stockings or tights or even a woolly jumper in the petrol dispensing part of the forecourt !!

If the reasons why the “latched trigger mechanism’s” are removed due to “company policy” and or “health and safety” — can you explain to me why this is not the case in your stations in the UK and in mainland Europe.

I appreciate that dispensing fuel can be a dangerous thing to do,but in my opinion the removal of these “latched trigger mechanisms” is not helping things due to the reasons i give above.

Or if its we cant be bothered due to the cost to repair them please let me no.

I personal will never fill up again at Watford Gap North until this problem is solved or a adequate answer is given to me… .

Yours Sincerely,

HERE IS THERE REPLY…

Dear Mr B***,

I refer to our previous conversation regarding your query about our pumps.

I have received the answer from our health and safety advisor.

At this time it is our Company Policy to not provide “locks” on the pumps. For gasoline it is contrary to our licence conditions and for diesel we have adopted the same approach. This has been risk assessed and is considered the most suitable approach.

Whilst you are correct in stating that pumps do have an auto cut off there is never a 100% guarantee as nozzles do get damaged and dropped from time to time although they are regularly checked by engineers.

We can only reiterate that there is a potential spill hazard if the tank is filled whilst nobody is in attendance, and the use of wood or other means to wedge open the trigger is hazardous and would request this is avoided.

Finally on the subject of the “gadget” he would not offer any opinion on its suitability or otherwise.

I hope this information explains our point of view about this topic. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us.

Ant thoughts for a reply ■■

Stafford services northbound, BP site and the trigger latches work there. I know as I filled up there last night on pump 22.

They probably haven’t a clue what you’re going on about…

IMHO what with all the other problems we have to contend with on a daily basis the fact that the ‘latched trigger machanism’ fails to work is a mere drop in the ocean but it is annoying I agree.
As an aside, when we take on fuel we cannot any longer use the norma type delivery nozzle but the pipe has to be physically connected to our fueling stand pipe. If we get a oil spill all hell breaks loose and unlimited fines can be imposed. Spill kits with absorbant materials have to be readily available and in position, save alls, and a risk assesement have to be carried out with both parties signing the forms, plus a red flag during the day or a red light displayed during the hours of darkness.
Also some people can get right peed off if you have a look at how the bunkering is going and you have a ciggie on the go. :slight_smile:

I asked someone from ESSO about this a couple of years back and they said that they got vastly reduced insurance premiums for having the latches disabled.

I would imagine that is the real reason for sites that don’t have them working…

Alex

In the past I used to have a split pin on my keyring which just happened to fit the in the hole where the locking pin had been removed, problem solved. Always stayed near the tank but it saved having to hold the trigger.

used to have a rivet handy

I used a small allen key to fit through the wee holes where the lock should be. Failing that find a bit of wood and stop moaning :laughing:

Outrageous, it’s a tax on the working mans hand muscles. I propose we march on London in protest :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It is generally only in the UK that this happens, most of the filler nozzles in Europe have the clips fitted. If there isn’t one, there is normally a decent fitting stone laid next to the pump :stuck_out_tongue:

When I started work, both our tanks had a brass nozzle with a tap fitted, no health and safety in those days, but I can still hear the boss shouting to turn that zb diesel off as he sprinted across the yard into a big puddle.

A can of Mr Sheen does it.

as been said a split pin on the key ring is ideal…or if you can remove the dog clip as that fits or better still keep a spare in the cab door pocket…
The reason when i asked at a station is because they had many nozzles fall out of the tank and it will keep pumping fuel on the ground.

jayeastanglia:
The reason when i asked at a station is because they had many nozzles fall out of the tank and it will keep pumping fuel on the ground.

How is that it do not happen on the continent…

To the original poster: I was thinking about raising the same question, if you gonna to reply, please point that if they are so concerned about safety, they should provide a bucket of water and a window washing tool to improve visiblity, as the driver who has to drive with dirty windscreen gets tired quicker…

I always miss them when I am in UK…

orys:

jayeastanglia:

How is that it do not happen on the continent…

To the original poster: I was thinking about raising the same question, if you gonna to reply, please point that if they are so concerned about safety, they should provide a bucket of water and a window washing tool to improve visiblity, as the driver who has to drive with dirty windscreen gets tired quicker…

I always miss them when I am in UK…

Bugger off back to Poland then :smiling_imp: :wink:

Steve-o:

That would be a long trip to wash my windscreen :stuck_out_tongue:

But, luckily, there are a standard thing even in France, so I always remember to stop and clean my windscreen before I get into the tunnel :stuck_out_tongue:

orys:

Steve-o:

But, luckily, there are a standard thing even in France, so I always remember to stop and clean my windscreen before I get into the tunnel :stuck_out_tongue:

I shudder to think what the euro folk think about the state of the UK when they drive over here for the first time. They must think the UK is a right state

orys:

Steve-o:

You are correct Orys, clean water a bucket and a sponge or the like, they even put a drop of screenwash fluid in it in winter, we are lucky to be able to get water for the washer bottle :blush:

The handy thing with those clips is that you can fuel up, wash your windows and mirrors while doing so and normally get a free coffee for being a customer. What do we get, one stinking toilet that is normally locked, no hot water if it isn’t and asking for a watering can is like asking if you can sleep with their teenage daughter.

Wheel Nut:
The handy thing with those clips is that you can fuel up, wash your windows and mirrors while doing so and normally get a free coffee for being a customer. What do we get, one stinking toilet that is normally locked, no hot water if it isn’t and asking for a watering can is like asking if you can sleep with their teenage daughter.

And check lights. I allways live my lights on when fuelling and do a walk around check…

It is a pain in the arse when you’ve got a tank on either side and neither of the latches work.