Highways Incident support unit

I have seen a position advertised for an ISU driver which sounds quite interesting and i am thinking of applying. Anyone know what the role actually consists of and what sort of pay it is?

Advert states you need HGV2 licence working 4 on 4 off in 12 hour shifts.

Any helpful comments welcome

Cheers

Putting out cones and sweeping up mess, no idea about money.

RuddyAntique:
I have seen a position advertised for an ISU driver which sounds quite interesting and i am thinking of applying. Anyone know what the role actually consists of and what sort of pay it is?

Advert states you need HGV2 licence working 4 on 4 off in 12 hour shifts.

Any helpful comments welcome

Cheers

Its an agency and i applied for milton common nr Thame but did not even get a reply :unamused: :unamused:

The job involves a whole lot of different things from litter picking, repairing fences, putting out the cones for road works lots of waiting around and gritting. I have no idea what the money is but the guys I know who do this seem happy enough with the money.

This may help

INCIDENT SUPPORT UNIT OPERATIVE
Vacancy from
Job No:HWY/31618Wage£9.27 PER HOUR Hours42 PER WEEK, 4 DAYS OVER 7 DAYS AND NIGHTSLocationHigh Wycombe, Buckinghamshire HP11DurationTemporaryDate posted22 February 2011Pension detailsNo details held
Description
This Vacancy is being advertised on behalf of SkyBlue (Aldgate Branch) who is operating as an employment business. Fantastic opportunity to join one of the countries leading highway maintenance contractors. Temporary to permanent position. You must have a Class 2 HGV licence as a minimum. Duties to include to provide support at the scenes of incidents on the. motorway working alongside the emergency services, general highways maintenance, litter picking, grass maintenance, winter maintenance, litter picking and grass cutting. Temporary ongoing. Immediate start. .
How to apply
You can apply for this job by sending a CV/written application to Robert Toumbas at SkyBlue (Aldgate Branch), robert.toumbas@skybluesolutions.com.
Employer
SkyBlue (Aldgate Branch)

Big ■■■■:
This may help

Looks like the position is all about picking up litter and cutting grass then picking up more litter and cutting more grass whilst at the same time trying to avoid being run over!
INCIDENT SUPPORT UNIT OPERATIVE
Vacancy from
Job No:HWY/31618Wage£9.27 PER HOUR Hours42 PER WEEK, 4 DAYS OVER 7 DAYS AND NIGHTSLocationHigh Wycombe, Buckinghamshire HP11DurationTemporaryDate posted22 February 2011Pension detailsNo details held
Description
This Vacancy is being advertised on behalf of SkyBlue (Aldgate Branch) who is operating as an employment business. Fantastic opportunity to join one of the countries leading highway maintenance contractors. Temporary to permanent position. You must have a Class 2 HGV licence as a minimum. Duties to include to provide support at the scenes of incidents on the. motorway working alongside the emergency services, general highways maintenance, litter picking, grass maintenance, winter maintenance, litter picking and grass cutting. Temporary ongoing. Immediate start. .
How to apply
You can apply for this job by sending a CV/written application to Robert Toumbas at SkyBlue (Aldgate Branch), robert.toumbas@skybluesolutions.com.
Employer
SkyBlue (Aldgate Branch)

Cheers,

skyblue is the reciuitment arm of carillion who have a lot of the contracts :wink:

Heard it was a VERY good number!

Decent wage for doing very little. Sometimes hard to get into though, (found that out after I applied a few years ago.)

Next time you’re out and about, just look at how much sitting around they do… :laughing: :laughing:

Fill your boots :smiley:

highways.gov.uk/business/16709.aspx

highways.gov.uk/aboutus/27232.aspx
to me but not 100% sure

highways.gov.uk/business/doc … edures.pdf

highways.gov.uk/business/6176.htm

May be worth submitting a speculative application on here

carillionplc.com/careers/car … ancies.asp

You don’t hear the boys moaning about money much just getting the time to spend it all :slight_smile:

What area of the country are you applying to work in?

In the south-east, you could easily be looking at anything between £25k - £30k.

HOWEVER, don’t be fooled into thinking you’ll be doing all the glamerous things the advert suggests. I know a fair few people who work as ISU drivers/operatives. To start with, it’ll just be picking up debris and litter, filling potholes, cleaning up oil spills - the general day-to-day stuff. Everything else requires extra training courses, which often have quite a lengthy wait to get on…

Duties to include to provide support at the scenes of incidents on the. motorway working alongside the emergency services, general highways maintenance, litter picking, grass maintenance, winter maintenance, litter picking and grass cutting, travelling to and from incidents, litter picking, barrier maintenance, litter picking, sweeping roads after accident cleared, litter picking, directing traffic around incident, litter picking, helping out clueless motorists, litter picking, suggesting alternative routes to clueless motorists, litter picking, sign cleaning and clearing, litter picking, collecting cones from hub, litter picking, putting out cones after incident, litter picking, collecting cones after incident, litter picking, returning cones to hub, litter picking Temporary ongoing. Immediate start.
Why do you need an O level in English to do all that :question:

English O level?? One of the ISU blokes i work with is Polish and when he started he only knew 10 words of English!!

Supposed to be a good job but like everyone else the employers are cutting costs at the moment. ISU’s are an essential part of the HA’s response to motorway and A road problems so cant see them disappearing anytime soon.

The rumour around these parts isup to £34k a year, no idea if thats true but never heard anyone complain about money.

Mick

Hi I work ISU.
The wage is around 24k a year not including overtime.
Your main duties is really looking after the network around your patch and to provide a safe (ish) working area to those attending a scene.
So if your on days, you do a road deck check, looking out for Cat 1 potholes (Which you patch), litter (which you pick), access steps to carriage way items (which you keep clear), growth in front of signs (which you cut).
In the main you will be attending BDV (broken down vehicles) if called in by HATO’s, police, you or your control.
If on hard shoulder all this could be just dropping your crash cushion, down to full cones, taper and close lane 1 for a HGV.
Clearing debris in the lanes, may need cones.
And crashes, you provide the cones and clear up afterwards
What you are, in affect, is a temporary store of cones, oil mop up and emergency stuff.
It can be dangerous. I’ve had a driver go through a coned area, a HGV go down a line of cones and a mad driver go nuts when we had to move car from an on slip.
Training around 3 weeks and then ongoing
You get a Licence to practice and an ID card to work on the motorway.
First Aid, Emergency Traffic Management, Airwave radio use, Hard shoulder driving, Health and Safety, Drug test, Pothole filling, Chapter 8 Traffic management, Cold weather training, Crash cushion training and in depth carriage way knowledge.
…and the cons are…it can be a long day/night. Sometimes nothing happens at all and being there is the hardest of all. Sometimes it all happens and your baking in the sun, freezing in the snow or very wet.
If your partner is a bore then its a long shift

oscardog:
English O level?? One of the ISU blokes i work with is Polish and when he started he only knew 10 words of English!!

10 is all you need, you only need 15 to obtain British citizenship :unamused: