Speed cameras for hgv

can anybody please tell me if they have found that a lot of speed cameras have had there sensitivity lowered to target hgvs exceeding 40mph.In the last two weeks I have been caught by two camera both of which I have passed many times before.On both occasions I was doing exactly 50mph which in my opinion is safer than 40mph on a single carriageway.Also as nobody in the industry either union or employers seem interested in campaigning to have this outdated peed limit raised I am seriously considering starting a campaign myself.If any body else is interested please contact me on 07736 527208

I Was reading an interesting article on the net the other week about Gatso Cameras actually being no good for trucks because of their size, the more signal returned the higher the innaccuracies recorded by the Gatso.

I’ll see If I can dig it out

wiggy:
can anybody please tell me if they have found that a lot of speed cameras have had there sensitivity lowered to target hgvs exceeding 40mph.In the last two weeks I have been caught by two camera both of which I have passed many times before.On both occasions I was doing exactly 50mph which in my opinion is safer than 40mph on a single carriageway.Also as nobody in the industry either union or employers seem interested in campaigning to have this outdated peed limit raised I am seriously considering starting a campaign myself.If any body else is interested please contact me on 07736 527208

You were breaking the law, you got a ticket deal with it pay the fine and do 40 next time :wink::):).

Where were these cameras at Wiggy?

Ken.

I’ve heard about these but not seen any in action yet, although I believe the cameras along the A556 between M56 and M6 through Mere can tell the difference between large and small vehicles.

Allrighty

They are all over the place.

Another example is the one on the A40 at Burford.

I was speaking to someone recently who receives NIP’s for his 7.5 tonners exceeding 40. He simply sends them back stating the MGW of the relevant vehicle.

jammymutt:

wiggy:

You were breaking the law, you got a ticket deal with it pay the fine and do 40 next time :wink::):).

spoken like a true wannabee coppa… :smiling_imp:

Almost every speed camera can detect size , weight , number of axles etc etc the best policy is to do the limit or less or pay the consequences.

I got 3 points and £60 fine for 55mph on the A17 Ledenham bypass Lincs, in April.

Davey Driver:
I Was reading an interesting article on the net the other week about Gatso Cameras actually being no good for trucks because of their size, the more signal returned the higher the innaccuracies recorded by the Gatso.

I’ll see If I can dig it out

Davey, should you find it, would you like to post it on the safespeed.org.uk/forum/

They would be very interested.

jammymutt:
Almost every speed camera can detect size , weight , number of axles etc etc the best policy is to do the limit or less or pay the consequences.

uk-cheap-car-insurance-direc … ctors-Work

Could someone please post a site or some factual information regarding the above quote or the other stories stating that speed cameras can differentiate between the speed limit for different classes of vehicle because the URL I have posted shows the different technologies available and to me, unless I have missed something, shows that an awful lot of brown stuff is being spoken.

I would suggest the drivers caught have been done so by manned cameras where a person can see the size and type of vehicle commiting any offence.
I wait to be proved wrong.

apophis:
I would suggest the drivers caught have been done so by manned cameras where a person can see the size and type of vehicle commiting any offence.

They certainly can tell the difference. A colleague of mine was caught out somewhere in the vicinity of the A52 heading into Grantham by a STATIC camera.

He appealed stating that it was a national speed limit.

Yes, was the reply, but that means a maximum speed of 40mph for your class of vehicle dear boy NOT 55 :laughing: haha

I would love to know exactly how they do do it but the word on the street from people I have spoken to about it reckon it was the height of the vehicle in this case, hence the post above mentioning receiving tickets for 7.5 tonners.

No speeding = No ticket… simple.

clevelandsafetycameras.co.uk/cameras.html

Some Gatso’s can also tell the difference between a car and HGV, so if for instance the limit was 60 mph for cars and for HGV’s it was 40 mph, if HGV’s pass the threshold of approx 45-50mph the camera would be triggered.

Just near the top… :unamused: :unamused:

And here speedcamerasuk.fsnet.co.uk/S … aGuide.htm

Some Gatso’s can also tell the difference between a car and HGV, so if for instance the limit was 60mph for cars and for HGV’s it was 40mph, if HGV’s pass the threshold of approx 45-50mph the camera would be triggered.

:wink: :wink:

Hope this helps.

Saxon786:

apophis:
II would love to know exactly how they do do.

They do it using an induction loop which is buried in the road, approximately half-way along the white markings. Where this has been retro-fitted, you can see it. It is seen as a diagonal grid of freshly laid tar, identical to that which is found at traffic lights, but larger. This detects the larger footprint of large vehicles and causes the camera to fire at the lower speed which applies to HGVs.

Vince

There are some interesting points raised here on this thread…but i cannot imagine that the gatso was invented just for cars and allow trucks to speed as and when they pleased…so it seems to me that adjustments would and could be made to catch anyone speeding regardless of the size of the vehicle…the simple remedy is drive to the speed limits advertised and keep your licence and your money where it belongs, and dont listen to anyone who seems to know all the answers…like…“that camera at so and so is set at 50mph but you can do 60mph”…its a myth
have a nice day

I was caught by a Gatso - I saw the double flash.

Some speed cameras are fitted with height sensors. If a vehicle above that height goes past the camera the threshold values for the camera to activate are lowered. The problem is that they can’t tell what sort of vehicle is passing the camera, only that it is above a certain height.

You can tell these cameras by looking at the top of them as you approach. The height sensor is a tube, similar in size to a tube of Jaffa cakes or a little larger, and is pointing at right angles to the road.

This is how the chap with the 7.5 tonners is getting tickets.

I’m trying to remember where I have seen them.

As I understand it, all Gatso’s, whether it is a film type or a digital camera, take a photo of any vehicle exceeding the pre-set parameters built into the camera. The photo is then reviewed by a camera agency where a person decides if a prosecution is to take place. Quite clearly, that person can decide from the photo what kind of vehicle triggered the camera and apply the appropriate speed limits. As far as I am aware the Gatso is a dumb instrument and cannot make a decision about any vehicle size. It simply “knows” that when anything triggers the radar it takes a photo. Go fast enough on a push bike and you’ll have a picture taken of your backside!

ginger:
As far as I am aware the Gatso is a dumb instrument and cannot make a decision about any vehicle size.

Check the links posted by jammymutt further up this page and you will see that some Gatso’s can tell the difference between cars and HGV’s.