HINO 700 8x4 tipper

Hino 700 Series.
I have been driving tippers since 1976 as a driver for local sand quarries in the Northwest, in 1987 became an owner driver and bought my first 6 wheel tipper 1982 Mastiff kept her for three years, then had Volvo. In 1990 bought my first Foden 6 wheeler second hand with ■■■■■■■■ engine that blew up. 1999 first new Foden 6x4 tipper with Cat 380 then 2003 Foden Cat 450, when Fodens packed up bought 2007 Hino 700 series 410 8x4 alloy Ali-weld body and electric sheet front to back alloy wheels and air con, some folk on here seem not to like the Hino 700, but have had mine since 2007 carries bulk aggregates in the Northwest. Midlands and North Wales never had anything wrong with her, hardly any spanners have been near the engine nor the ZF16 speed box, no broken springs, she carries 20800 tonnes and does between 8 and 8.5mpg depending on the work she does. At mot time she has a full service and wash and never uses any oil from one service to the other. As to the gearbox being 4 x 4 and slap over with half gear drops you get use to that, I dont find the clutch heavy and do like the high sitting cab, with the cab being so high it lets you see over hedge cops what other folk are up to. As to the bunk I agree with most the mattress is a plank of wood covered in cloth, but have now put in a 5 inch mattress and that is a lot better. Would I buy another, YES for the price I paid in 2007 this truck/tipper has been a god send for me, I priced Volvo`s and Dafs at the time and the Hino was £15000 cheaper, OK I may not get the end price like a Volvo or Daf but who cares the Hino will stay with me until I retire, I have another 5 years to go. So you see there are Hino fans out there including myself and I have no regrets and would buy another.

Hino 700 8x4 tipper anyone used one of these ,what do you think of them are they any good. :sunglasses:

I drive a Hino Fy myself, which is the previous model. The Hino’s have a great steering lock, they’re quite bouncy. Probably one of the best, if not THE best for getting in and out of a tip. I’ve driven mine where others fear to tread and if they do, they usually end up needing a push or a pull. I know lads that drive the Hino 700 and they reckon that they’re quite thirsty, but i suppose that all depends on how heavy your right foot is. They do have an Eco drive button that can be used when empty, i think it reduces the horses. Talking to a Hino fitter, he said a lot of them have come in for new drums and shoes after only 70,000klms. And a few have had problems with the turbo. You can buy a 2nd hand Hino 700 now quite cheap. The cabs are too high for my liking, i much prefer the FY. But like any truck, they have their pro’s and con’s.

any ideas wot sort of gear box the 700 run :question:

ZF 16s221

lol i would get it checked over before it gets recalled its a toyota look it up lol

I drove one a few times they are ok I suppose. but I wasn’t keen on the jap crap plastic interior and the indicatior stalk is on the wrong side. and as bee said before the cab is too high

Talked to a la Farge owner driver the other day about them,he owned one best truck hes ever had on a 56 plate loads of horses at 410. Much better than any Volvo ,Scania and come into its own down the pit never gets stuck!

Fitters love them as you only need a spanner to mend . very tall cab but all adds to the presence inside was ok but stuck in the 80s with its blue plastic dash thought i was in a 4x4 Hi-lux.

Must admit thought about these myself and still not ruled one out as a lot of truck for your money,cheap to buy new and very much cheaper when second hand.

Even saw a Morrisons Utility 32 ton grab Hino the other day and they use to love the Volvos?

trickyd

I took the plunge and bought one last year (albeit a 6x4). 380bhp in a 6-wheeler is probably overkill, maybe I’m compensating for something! :laughing:

As a 6-legger I find it a bit heavy for quarry work (1/2tonne over my old Daf 75). They are heavier on the juice than I’m used to but if you are careful with the loud pedal you should be ok. They are excellent off road - swamp donkies the Irish call em’.

The gearbox is a slap-over 4-over-4 with half gears in each. Its a bit slow and you have to take your time - I would imagine stepping out of an I-Shift equipped Volvo would be like going back to the dark ages but I like it, so there :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: .

Yes, the dashboard is like a 90’s Japanese saloon car and yes, some will look down their noses but I bought mine for two main reasons. Reliability and price. So far, its been reliable. My uncle runs two as well and has had no major problems at all. Parts are dear though if they do go wrong. 3 grand for a turbo I’m told and 650 for a rear spring, although they are monster bits of metal.

In terms of price, there was a Scania adverstised recently, same age, higher miles and same spec as mine (although the Scania had a leccy sheet and tailboard). The Scania was 16,000quid more expensive!

Overall, I’m well pleased.