Am i being ungrateful

Over the last year I’ve been doing odd days Agency driving at the weekend mainly to keep my hand in on the road and earn a bit of ‘pocket money’.I work full time in a trafiic office so can just take it as it comes although up until recently the offers of weekend work have been non existent.Anyway last week one of the agencies local to me gave me a shift at DHL Chelmsford delivering some mail to the local sorting office driving an 18tonner .Turned up at 7 loaded up and off I went with message given of once back drive you can go home Result I thought .I got signed up at 11 all ok but today the pay slip come in the post and to my amazement amount payable £28.80 !!! 4 Hours at £9 less a bit of tax .My other agency always guarentee me 8 hours which is what I thought all agencies charge out or am I being Naive.Personally I think its a p**s take and willl not be working for this mob any more .I just wondered what everyones views were ? Is this all my LGV licence is worth nowadays ? And no I won’t be naming the Agency to save them anymore embarassment.

No you aren’t being ungreatful because I bet you anything your agency still charged them for 8 hours!

Depends on the contract the agency has with the company. One agency i was with was the normal 8 hours but if you did Somerfields at the time was only 6 hours guareenteed.

Used to be in Somerfields five nights a week doing 10-12 hour shifts so wasnt a problem. Then they had a recruiting drive and suddenly we were driving from East Kilbride to Pitrevie then back 3 hours shift,sitting about for another few hours then sent home. Had a week of this was well annoyed, next week same thing happend, went saw agency explained wasnt worth my while if i was just doing 6 hours, she said yeah everyone is complaining but its what Somerfields pay we have been talking to them but won’t budge.

Ended up jacking it in.

Steve-o:
No you aren’t being ungreatful because I bet you anything your agency still charged them for 8 hours!

Prob not, because the agency doesent like it, because its hard to get drivers if only paying 4 hours or something like that, if its a regular thing only getting 4hours most people will refuse to go out.

When i did Exel/DHL the contract was if the shift was cancelled i think within 2 hours of the start time you got 4 hours pay, if it was cancelled when you arrived you got the 8 hours. They always paid it.

Took me 40mins to get to work, so as soon as i left the house for work phone would be switched off.

Saying that ive not been in Exel/DHL this year because they droped their rates, well the agency did which i imagine is more Exel’s doing than the actual agency and wouldnt be surprised if maybe got rid of the 4 hours for being cancelled. They know there is to many drivers and are seeing it as a good opertuntity to save some cash by screwing people over.