David Davies - Did he do the right thing?

Was DD right to resign over the issue of 42 days detention without charge, and to make it an election issue?

After the universal condemnation on Thursday am I right in sensing that the public mood is changing?

I think its a good thing that he resigned.
42 days without charge is not often enough for terrorists. They should not be here at all and anybody advocating a softer line is not wanted by most of the general public as a representative of Britain.

he’ll look stupid when its only him and a couple of loony parties standing in the by election.

biggusdickusgb:
he’ll look stupid when its only him and a couple of loony parties standing in the by election.

I dont think he has risked anything as Howden and Haltemprice is a safe Tory seat,

David Davis the former shadow home secretary knows that, but what he has done is bring it to the notice of the media about how he feels and probably how most of us should feel.

A CCTV camera for every 14 citiziens, a DNA database bigger than any dictatorship has, with 1000s of innocent children and a million innocent citizens on it.

We have witnessed an assault on jury trials - that balwark against bad law and its arbitrary use by the state. Short cuts with our justice system that make our system neither firm not fair.

And the creation of a database state opening up our private lives to the prying eyes of official snoopers and exposing our personal data to careless civil servants and criminal hackers.

The state has security powers to clamp down on peaceful protest and so-called hate laws that stifle legitimate debate - while those who incite violence get off Scot free.

Full Story Here.

The Lib Dems have said they won’t stand a candidate and it’s highly unlikely Nu Labour will either.
David Davis will be returned virtually unopposed at the by-election so what will he have achieved?
It is going to cost the taxpayer in the region of £80,000 to stage this by-election. :angry: :angry: :angry:
The public mood is in favour of 42 days detention without charge,Davis and the Tory party are out of touch on this issue.

Kelvin MacKenzie has said he will stand against David Davis,

It seems that Rupert Murdoch is paying for it which would be illegal as an Australian apparently

Actually Mackenzie will probably be about as welcome in Hull as he is in Liverpool or Scotland.

All they need to do now is dig up Robert Maxwell and add him to the list of candidates.
This by-election is going to be a complete fiasco. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Check out the Sunday papers today. Looks like the view is changing. The Grauniad thinks DD is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it seems Labour MP Bob Marshall-Andrews has come out to support him. The mail on sunday has a poll stating that 67% would vote for DD over 14% for McKenzie.

Intersting to see how this develops…

I don’t care how many support and vote for or against him. It is a cynical publicity stunt which will prove nothing and in my eyes makes him a complete mug.
As has been said it will cost the taxpayer a fortune to no good purpose and is a shameless manipulation of the democratic process.
I should add that like him I am horrified at the 42 day proposal but I do think that he has taken the pressure of the government with this folly, they had won the vote but lost the plot - 'till this.

on the other hand you could say he has stuck by his principals and belifes

Well, this has two sides. He took a stand for his principles, which is a good thing, but it will cost the government a small pile of money, which isn’t.
Given the fact it’s 80 grand, which is a tiny amount to the government, something like an hour’s VAT returns from a petrol supplier… it’s hardly a big deal cash wise.

So, the principles win out. Davis was always a man who did things his way, and he’s kept doing that. I think he did the right thing, in the balance.

But if every MP did the same each time the vote didn’t go their way the system would grind to a halt.
He hasn’t done this for principle, it is part of a sour grapes gripe dating from the last time he lost a big vote - to Cameron. The latter must be furious having had the moral upper hand taken away from him when he had Brown looking devious and foolish.
If it had been a collective point of principle then the whole Conservative party could have resigned, forcing a mini general election. I think they know they would have returned to Parliament with even less seats though. How daft would that have been when they have Brown so low in the polls generally?