What is 'Tramping'?

I’ve been reading through the professional forum and come across this (and other) terms that i’m struggling to translate!

So what does it mean togo tramping?

Cheers,

Sethie

Tramping = working away from home, usually sleeping in your cab during the working week.

But this could also be longer if you work differnet patterns or work away in Europe.

I’m sure that there will be differnet takes on the meaning of “Tramping”

Needless to say, “Your cab becomes your Second or First home”

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sethie_D:
I’ve been reading through the professional forum and come across this (and other) terms that i’m struggling to translate!

So what does it mean togo tramping?

Cheers,

Sethie

Take a look at the last “STICKY” at the top of the NEWBIE page, entitled Acronyms and Synonyms, It’ll give you the translation for every term you’re struggling with, and more.

Thanks Kate :slight_smile:

I totally missed that :astonished:pps: . Some hazard perception huh :wink:

Sethie.

Tramping, taken literally by some judging by the state of em by the middle of the week, for you newbies it DOESN’T mean that you avoid soap & water all week :exclamation: Even if you have to park in a layby you can still wash in hot water, by either heating some up on a portable stove or even by putting a bottle of water near your night heater outlet, wet wipes come in handy too & they are very good at getting grease off clothes, seats etc. Always remember to use deodorant too, think of the poor bloke stood next to you in a queue at a booking in window :exclamation:

I have been a driver on and off for over 20 years and this is one thing that really gets to me WHY do so many drivers never flippin wash???Some of these so called ‘Knights of the road’ do not know the first thing about basic hygine.

There is NO excuse for it most service stations have showers and they are free, if you have a really dirty job wear some overalls you don’t need to wear the rigger boots all day either you can change them when you are not loading or unloading.

We have all seen them the dirty stinking tramps who are a disgrace to the British haulage industry, please don’t come back and say that they are all poles because they are not. You know who you are NOW GET A WASH YOU GROT!!!
Lets all try and look a bit smarter and cleaner, you never know we might get a bit of respect back :wink:

ok rant over

ha ha awesome rant there lol

Deepinvet:
I have been a driver on and off for over 20 years and this is one thing that really gets to me WHY do so many drivers never flippin wash???Some of these so called ‘Knights of the road’ do not know the first thing about basic hygine.

There is NO excuse for it most service stations have showers and they are free, if you have a really dirty job wear some overalls you don’t need to wear the rigger boots all day either you can change them when you are not loading or unloading.

We have all seen them the dirty stinking tramps who are a disgrace to the British haulage industry, please don’t come back and say that they are all poles because they are not. You know who you are NOW GET A WASH YOU GROT!!!
Lets all try and look a bit smarter and cleaner, you never know we might get a bit of respect back :wink:

ok rant over

free showers where :question:

■■■■ right, there is NO need to smell like a wet dog, every garage you go in will have a sink at least & I mentioned alternatives if you can’t find one or some animal has been in there before & demolished it. BTW WTF is that all about, why would you feel the need to destroy a sink or leave your body waste on the floor & walls :question: :open_mouth:

& another thing, why do container drivers need rigger boots :question: Is it to do with the size of your trouser snake :question: The bigger the boots, the smaller it is :laughing: :laughing:

Free showers where?

Please :cry: …Is that your excuse then Scania 245■■?

This topic would make good reading on the main forum, it might embarrass some of the GROTS to wash more than once a month ■■?
[/quote]