Reinstated HGV licences to help driver shortage

Have any figures been published showing how many HGV drivers returned to help with the shortage last year?

I would think not many.
Any ex drivers I have spoken to are those that did not bother taking a CPC,.and have said that they had or have no intention of taking it.
So the answer to the problem (assuming there actually IS a problem in reality) is to sack off this money making excercise, in it s present form at least, surely 8 hours is enough for an experienced driver to brush up on stuff he already knows, and to learn any new stuff that he doesn’t.
Problem is the actual industry that has grown with all this will suffer, so it won’t happen.

spot on rob, cut mine up in 2015 after 38 years in the job and no amount of money would entice me back…
i do drive a vw caddy 1 day a week doing locals and that covers me beer and horse bets…

Is there still a HGV driver shortage in some areas or are we back to the imaginary driver shortage now ?

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

m.a.n rules:
that covers me beer and horse bets…

Ya got any good tips?
(Aoart from …Jack the ■■■■ job in :laughing: )

sadly mate jackin is the only 100% tip i can give you :blush: :laughing: ,your time will come rob just keep grinding the ■■■■■■■■ down… :wink:

I noticed that the Govt did not say to expired licence holders that they would pay for the medical + digicard + cpc in order to entice them back …

good point rog, roughly £500 before you turn a wheel… :unamused:

Had the medical and kept mine alive but £11.50 an hour in Cornwall is not much of an incentive.

I spoke to a Sainburys delivery driver, he said he wanted to drive hgvs again but couldnt find a job. He reckoned his age was against him. I told him that he looked old enough but that wasnt the point.

ROG:
I noticed that the Govt did not say to expired licence holders that they would pay for the medical + digicard + cpc in order to entice them back …

Digicard and CPC still valid, paying for medical not the end of the world, but waiting months to get licence renewed by DVLA put me off.

getting your licences back is not the end…all the hangers on need to be paid or your valuable time taken up to do some mafi style thing before you can work ie MPQC… the line of hangers on gets longer …same as the hours

Even if I was still young enough to consider reinstating my licence it would not interest me. Never used it in the first year of retirement,never bothered to renew anything again

Still got cpc and tacho card, valid till 2024. Medical out of date. Because of medical problems, I have to go to my doc for it. £150.00 for a 1 year licence? No Thanks. I will drive on my memories. :smiley:

When this shortage started I wrote to th useless transport ministry telling them that the cpc put a lot of drivers off who just wanted to work part-time. I received anemail from Baroness Vere of Norbiton, Minister for Roads. She basically reckons that it improves safety ( tell that to the families on the a34) and the idiot who killed three people last year. We all know that it does little or nothing but the people who know nothing still like the money it brings in.

chooch:
When this shortage started I wrote to th useless transport ministry telling them that the cpc put a lot of drivers off who just wanted to work part-time. I received anemail from Baroness Vere of Norbiton, Minister for Roads. She basically reckons that it improves safety ( tell that to the families on the a34) and the idiot who killed three people last year. We all know that it does little or nothing but the people who know nothing still like the money it brings in.

The fact that she’s known as the …'‘Baroness Vere of Norbiton’ (ffs ! :laughing: :laughing: ) says enough to illustrate how out of touch she is with real life and actual reality mate, don’t bother your arse about it, you could never be able to appeal to anybody who is stuck in an ivory tower and still living in the 17th Century.

Baroness De Vere?

A Gov Minister. Voted in by nobody. Ever.
Once stood as a Tory MP, but came in 3rd.

Franglais:
Baroness De Vere?

A Gov Minister. Voted in by nobody. Ever.
Once stood as a Tory MP, but came in 3rd.

Remember "baroness " Dido “I’m utterly useless but married to an MP HAHAHA” Harding?
Wasted billions of our money, on a non working test and trace system. And got away with it.

I do think that they are starting to sleep less well. They look more haggard when they appear on TV. I think they are sensing a change in the mood of the population.

Their ivory tower has started to crumble :smiling_imp: