Another bridge strike

leicestermercury.co.uk/news … wn-7453414

The bridge is 4.2m so he is pulling a euro trailer yet still hits it?

I knew…

Before I clicked the link it would be a Skoda.

Just how? I go under there with a euro fridge regularly with no problems whatsoever.

Scania drivers with their middle axle up not knowing it increases the running height of the unit and trailer

Jaxo:
Scania drivers with their middle axle up not knowing it increases the running height of the unit and trailer

Ding ding ding…

We have a winner.

Im not one to stick the knife in,but I just cant understand why ,with all the warning signs before you get to the bridge.
I dont know why they dont dig it out,make it 16 foot6.They cant because its something to do with the water drainage,but we can put a man on the moon…

Sploom:
Im not one to stick the knife in,but I just cant understand why ,with all the warning signs before you get to the bridge.
I dont know why they dont dig it out,make it 16 foot6.They cant because its something to do with the water drainage,but we can put a man on the moon…

This is the one in Hinckley town, next to the old Lidl store. its 4.2 meters / 13ft 9in

It’s a right ■■■■■■ 6x2 - do LKW Walter run UK motors now ■■

whisperingsmith:

Probably traction?

yourhavingalarf:

Jaxo:

Ding ding ding…

We have a winner.

It’s not up in the picture. Anyway, I can’t believe it adds 30 cm?

Is it an arched bridge?

looks like could be a mega trailer, so would only be at 4.0m on a low ride unit

PA22:
looks like could be a mega trailer, so would only be at 4.0m on a low ride unit

^^^^^THIS^^^^^
Plus being a UK 6 wheel unit the fifth wheel height wont be as low as our European brethrens trucks
Looks like an ex Maritime unit

Only score this one 5/10 as it’s mainly still intact, better luck next time drive :laughing:

drover:
Only score this one 5/10 as it’s mainly still intact, better luck next time drive [emoji38]

Why do we get called drive instead of driver? It’s not much of a shortening. Always wondered.

stu675:

drover:
Only score this one 5/10 as it’s mainly still intact, better luck next time drive [emoji38]

Why do we get called drive instead of driver? It’s not much of a shortening. Always wondered.

No idea drive :laughing:

It’s 4m trailer when pulled by a low ride unit which would have a fifth wheel height of around 950mm compared to a Scania which is 1250mm fifth wheel height with mid axle lowered (higher if its lifted, stupidly).

They allow for a larger cubic capacity whilst maintaining the 4m height restriction. You’d normally see them being pulled by units that have removed the top of unit mudguards. Fly by Nite use low ride DAFs as an example.

So that’s 300mm extra height, minimum, on a 4m trailer giving it a height of 4.3m for a bridge at 4.2m. Case closed.

Maybe he confused “Burbage” route with his “Groupage” route? :unamused:

andy187:

whisperingsmith:

Probably traction?

Traction out of one of the ports.

We have 3 on for them.

Ken.

toonsy:
It’s 4m trailer when pulled by a low ride unit which would have a fifth wheel height of around 950mm compared to a Scania which is 1250mm fifth wheel height with mid axle lowered (higher if its lifted, stupidly).

They allow for a larger cubic capacity whilst maintaining the 4m height restriction. You’d normally see them being pulled by units that have removed the top of unit mudguards. Fly by Nite use low ride DAFs as an example.

So that’s 300mm extra height, minimum, on a 4m trailer giving it a height of 4.3m for a bridge at 4.2m. Case closed.

If a trailer is taller than a unit then it is significantly over 4 metre. And that trailer is/was a foot taller.

Case very much open

Jimmy McNulty:

toonsy:

If a trailer is taller than a unit then it is significantly over 4 metre. And that trailer is/was a foot taller.

Case very much open

Well EU trailers have a 4m height standard maximum. In fact any vehicle type approved in the EU will fall under a 4m height standard even double deck coaches and double deck trailers (think those 2win trailers you see sometimes, Dutch I think)

The difference here is as I said its a mege cube that gives a larger load space and comes in at the 4m clearance by virtue of being pulled by a low ride unit. I’ve attached an image of how they should sit, note the low ride unit how the trailer is level because the fifth wheel is lower, the suspension ride is lower, the mudguard tops are off because the trailer sits a bit lower etc.

When I pulled them the fifth wheel height was 950mm, so the pin sat lower, the trailer sat level, and job was a goodun.

Now look at the photo in the article, see the guard rails down the side and note how much higher they are at the front of compared to by the first rear axle? That shows that the trailer is higher at the front than at the back. Now extrapolate that angle right to the very front of the trailer.

So you have a trailer designed to be at 4m, and most people will think that because its fairly standard height. Except as said this is a mega cube so the coupling height is much lower, hence the need for a low ride unit such as the events industry often use (ref Fly by Nite) for which ive added this link from an event company which also mentions the 950mm coupling height.

globaltrailermag.com/2020/0 … -solution/

So you have a trailer that is 4m, based on a 950mm coupling height. Except that Scania has a coupling height of 1250mm (or it might be 1275mm but I can’t fully remember so we’ll just stick at standard 1250mm) a full 300mm more than is designed for so simple maths says that 4m, plus an additional 300mm comes to 4.3m. That’s ignoring the silly Scania midlift thing which for some lifts it even higher.

If he’d reversed through the bridge he’d have got 3/4 way through but because of the pin height lifting the front by 300mm and angling it up at the front, the headboard of the trailer would have been slightly more than 300mm higher by virtue if being in front of the pin.

N.B that’s also why you might have seen an EU unit pulling a UK trailer and it looks like it’s dragging the front down while the back sits with its arse in the air. That’s because its being pulled by a low ride unit.

So yeah its fairly cut and dried to me. Unless anyone else can explain how a trailer legislated at 4m can clobber a 4.2m bridge…

images.jpeg-9.jpg