Cryogenic work

Evening all,

I am currently on the fuel but the Days/ nights rota is playing havoc with my health and social life so have been keeping an eye out to see what is around and have just come across an advert from XPO on their Air Liquide contract.

Instead of potentially wasting their time I want to collect a bit more information before applying to see if the job would suit me, but google has let me down :frowning:

So was wondering if anyone could tell me what a typical day in the life of a cryogenics driver is like ?

Any and all information is appreciated :smiley:

(Also a first time poster, so sorry if it’s in the wrong place feel free to move)

Easiest bet, get the office number for Coleshill and give them a call

Silver:
Evening all,

I am currently on the fuel but the Days/ nights rota is playing havoc with my health and social life so have been keeping an eye out to see what is around and have just come across an advert from XPO on their Air Liquide contract.

Instead of potentially wasting their time I want to collect a bit more information before applying to see if the job would suit me, but google has let me down :frowning:

So was wondering if anyone could tell me what a typical day in the life of a cryogenics driver is like ?

(Also a first time poster, so sorry if it’s in the wrong place feel free to move)

Keep looking around mate I do class 2 work on fuels on days and it’s the best job I’ve ever had. Maybe look at other local fuel companies.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Silver:
Evening all,

Well… it depends.

Air Liquide are a multi national company. So are BOC(Linde) as are Air Products. I would say go for it.

So you know, in my opinion you will get good training and you will be generally be received well at all sites.

(Ok, cylinder work is different), My guess is it will be a lot of night work on tankers but they will not stretch yo and max you out.

Been on Cryo for years , clean and tidy work and good wages . You’ll get full training , lots of corporate nonsense to deal with but if you can tolerate this and do the job as Air Liquide require it should be a decent place to work . A lot of the Oxygen loads are to hospitals so be prepared for tanks in stupid places usually in a staff car park which isn’t designed for artics , Ox is nasty stuff btw and needs to be treated with respect . Nitrogen is mainly for engineering works or the food industry , but other niche uses too .Equipment should be top notch though management spec trucks I’d imagine .
You probably won’t find too much online as security is an issue and these type of companies tend to shy away from social media .So long as XPO haven’t done to cryo what Hoyer did to the fuel tanker work give it a try .

The gas man:

I think the OP is probably looking for info from drivers rather than office workers.

Silver:
Evening all,have been doing this job for a long time and would highly recommend cryo work, according to the advert you will be on regular nights so so will be pretty much left alone to do the work .
Deliveries are straight forward and most of the time you are reliant on nobody to deliver.
It’s more involved and technical than fuel hence the 6 weeks training .
You will earn the 46000 and you are not required to work over the 12 hour shift , extra shifts are paid at normal rate and over 12 hrs on normal shift paid extra.
Downside you only get no sick pay only ssp.
Upside you work less than half the year as you get 20 days holiday.
New units expected in October and new tanks have been added to the fleet with a refurb programme ongoing.
Hope this info helps

I’ve heard they’ve currently frozen all job applications.

Harry Monk:

The gas man:

I think the OP is probably looking for info from drivers rather than office workers.

I know what you mean Harry but I find it easier to ring the depot and ask as we all know it can vary from driver to driver

eagerbeaver:
I’ve heard they’ve currently frozen all job applications.

I see what you did there

Air Products and BOC are all rotating days/nights shifts pattern.
Similar to what you have on fuel tankers.
I have been investigating it myself, talking to drivers, and given up on it, as not worth it for me, I value my health more that the job and the money.
No wonder they keep advertising all the time, and can’t seem to find drivers, same as with fuel tankers.

Air Liquid, cameras inside the cab facing the driver, not sure about the other two.
Cameras inside the cab facing the driver at FloGas, and possibly Calor too.

internetfan:
I have been investigating it myself, talking to drivers, and given up on it, as not worth it for me, I value my health more that the job and the money.
No wonder they keep advertising all the time, and can’t seem to find drivers, same as with fuel tankers.

Air Liquid, cameras inside the cab facing the driver, not sure about the other two.

Air liquide on bulk don’t have in cab camera’s at the moment, there’s been discussions with the union but that is as far as it has got ,they are wanting night drivers so not be rotating

I spoke to one of the Air Liquid drivers a few months ago, and was told they had camera’s in their cabs facing the driver.
I also had been told about it by someone else before.

internetfan:
I spoke to one of the Air Liquid drivers a few months ago, and was told they had camera’s in their cabs facing the driver.
I also had been told about it by someone else before.

Possibly the cylinders drivers who work direct for air liquide, Bulk work for XPO ,no cameras as yet

internetfan:

BOC are not rotating day / night ■■■■■ at all depots. Fawley, Thame & Margam had permanent day and night drivers. A few depots like Brinsworth and Middlesborough had alternating shifts. I can’t remember about Motherwell but I seem to recall they were the same as us at Fawley, permanent day and night drivers.
I can confirm that Calor do have driver facing cameras in the cabs. BOC once talked about it at a meeting with the TU, we threw it out. They were told you can have forward facing cameras but not ones facing the drivers. Nothing ever come of it.

Just want to say thank you for the replies, its cool to finally ask a question myself after reading through posts for years, even recognised a name or two :laughing:

Looking at what has been said though it looks like I am better off where I am, will just have to wait for a fixed shift to come along

are you kingsbury based, W O S L… :question: :question: