First Time using a Tacho how to se to breaks?

Guys , I’ll be out for the first time in a 7.5 T tomorrow .

So I’m ok making manual entries for 15 minutes of extra work from the day before ect but what I’m confused about is when I take my first 15 minute break . Sorry not when but how I enter it on the tacho /

I’ll be using a Siemens VDO unit .

So I’ve added a picture , I’m assuming when I have stopped ( cross hammers ) I will need to select the bed ( rest ) but how do I manually enter this , is it the no 1 button to select and then hit ok ?

Also wheni I’ve finished in the yard for the day do I just eject the card and that will record the finish time in the vehicle obviously making a manual entry the next day ?

As the driver you put your driver card in slot 1 and use the number 1 button to change activities.

I haven’t watched all through these videos so cannot vouch for the accuracy but be aware that the precise way of doing manual entries may change a bit depending on the version (age) of the VDO.

How to use Siemens DTCO 1381 Digital Tachograph unit PART 1

How to use Siemens DTCO 1381 Digital Tachograph unit PART 2

How to use Siemens DTCO 1381 Digital Tachograph unit PART 3

How to use Siemens DTCO 1381 Digital Tachograph unit PART 4

How to use Siemens DTCO 1381 Digital Tachograph unit PART 5

Baldyman:
, is it the no 1 button to select and then hit ok ?

Yes. But I don’t think you will need to press ok. Just make sure it it changes to bed. Then watch the time count up to 1 minute etc. Makes sure it’s 16 mins at least before driving off ( because it might round down )

Also wheni I’ve finished in the yard for the day do I just eject the card and that will record the finish time in the vehicle obviously making a manual entry the next day ?

Yes. It will ask if you don’t want to get a printout. Change it to yes. Ok. End in UK is ok button. It’s interesting to read.
And looks like you have an eject button - scary! Don’t press it by accident! I have a long press of the 1 button instead.

Take care with your manual entry. When I did mine, it didn’t register for some reason and recorded 56 hrs of other work instead of rest . [emoji849] Got a lot of reminders exceeding driver hours that day!

stu675:

Baldyman:
, is it the no 1 button to select and then hit ok ?

Yes. But I don’t think you will need to press ok. Just make sure it it changes to bed. Then watch the time count up to 1 minute etc. Makes sure it’s 16 mins at least before driving off ( because it might round down )

Yes. It will ask if you don’t want to get a printout. Change it to yes. Ok. End in UK is ok button. It’s interesting to read.
And looks like you have an eject button - scary! Don’t press it by accident! I have a long press of the 1 button instead.

Take care with your manual entry. When I did mine, it didn’t register for some reason and recorded 56 hrs of other work instead of rest . [emoji849] Got a lot of reminders exceeding driver hours that day!

HAHAHA

I also did the latter. Ended up having been at work for 474 hours…

The tacho kept telling me I needed a rest!!![emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Truckulent:
HAHAHA

The tacho kept telling me I needed a rest!!![emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Hope they paid you for the 474 hours [emoji1787]

I’m still waiting to find out! [emoji57]

Do you need to do a manual entry to get paid?

If not, then don’t bother, for the reasons given above :laughing: Unless the company insist.

Zac_A:
Do you need to do a manual entry to get paid?

If not, then don’t bother, for the reasons given above :laughing: Unless the company insist.

You need to do manual entries to comply with the law.
If you change the tacho to rest before you pull your card, yet you continue to do some work before you leave and do more work the next day before you put your card in then that is (whatever the illegal term is) unless you take a printout and manual entry that - ■■■■ that! Or you leave it on other work before you pull your card (as we did) and you get ■■■■ messages from the tacho instead of helpful ones to keep you right. (and when you get pulled by VOSA they’ll send you to prison if you haven’t already lost your job - so yes the company will insist).

tachograph:
As the driver you put your driver card in slot 1 and use the number 1 button to change activities.

I haven’t watched all through these videos so cannot vouch for the accuracy but be aware that the precise way of doing manual entries may change a bit depending on the version (age) of the VDO.

How to use Siemens DTCO 1381 Digital Tachograph unit PART 1

How to use Siemens DTCO 1381 Digital Tachograph unit PART 2

How to use Siemens DTCO 1381 Digital Tachograph unit PART 3

How to use Siemens DTCO 1381 Digital Tachograph unit PART 4

How to use Siemens DTCO 1381 Digital Tachograph unit PART 5

That’s better than £250 worth of CPC! :open_mouth: :unamused:

stu675:

Truckulent:
HAHAHA

Hope they paid you for the 474 hours [emoji1787]

I’m still waiting to find out! [emoji57]

Sadly not. I got an infringement instead! [emoji31][emoji1787]

stu675:
If you change the tacho to rest before you pull your card, yet you continue to do some work before you leave and do more work the next day before you put your card in then that is (whatever the illegal term is) unless you take a printout and manual entry that - [zb] that! Or you leave it on other work before you pull your card (as we did) and you get [zb] messages from the tacho instead of helpful ones to keep you right. (and when you get pulled by VOSA they’ll send you to prison if you haven’t already lost your job - so yes the company will insist).

Jeeez… Alarmist much? No, you really do not HAVE to do manual entries

My previous long term employer never asked us to do manual entries. If I did do some “other work” after I’d set my card to rest and ejected it (not that I did, unless you count dropping paperwork off into the office, which I don’t count as other work because I’m on my way home) then who would know besides me?

As for DVSA sending people to jail, they don’t, only Judges and Magistrates do that, and you have to be in court on a quite serious offence, like multiple events of creating a false driver record, or using someone elses digicard, or proven digital tachograph fraud, like this guy
smartcompliance.descartes.com/r … ers-hours/

Zac_A:

stu675:
If you change the tacho to rest before you pull your card, yet you continue to do some work before you leave and do more work the next day before you put your card in then that is (whatever the illegal term is) unless you take a printout and manual entry that - [zb] that! Or you leave it on other work before you pull your card (as we did) and you get [zb] messages from the tacho instead of helpful ones to keep you right. (and when you get pulled by VOSA they’ll send you to prison if you haven’t already lost your job - so yes the company will insist).

Jeeez… Alarmist much? No, you really do not HAVE to do manual entries

My previous long term employer never asked us to do manual entries. If I did do some “other work” after I’d set my card to rest and ejected it (not that I did, unless you count dropping paperwork off into the office, which I don’t count as other work because I’m on my way home) then who would know besides me?

As for DVSA sending people to jail, they don’t, only Judges and Magistrates do that, and you have to be in court on a quite serious offence, like multiple events of creating a false driver record, or using someone elses digicard, or proven digital tachograph fraud, like this guy
smartcompliance.descartes.com/r … ers-hours/

I was basing my answer on the fact that you do do substantial work after pulling and before inserting your card.

So in a long winded way, the DVSA sent someone to prison… :smiley: