Left my first HGV Job

So I’ve left my first job the bloke who was running the joint was nuts in my opinion. Money was good but he kept setting impossible tasks. He constantly asked me to pull my card to make it back and when I refused continued to call me the c word screaming down the phone. ( still didn’t pull my card regardless mind you this was already on 15. )

He also promised me a week getting trained up with another driver which went down the pan withing the first 6 hours on my first day.

All in all this has made me question my entire career choice not trying to sound to soft haha.

Are there alot of these company’s out there or was this pure badluck for a first job.

It’s more of a rant I suppose but if it could almost put me off I’m sure could almost put other new starters.

Hopefully back to drawing board for new job.

volkswagen1994:
He constantly asked me to pull my card to make it back and when I refused continued to call me the c word screaming down the phone. ( still didn’t pull my card regardless mind you this was already on 15. )

I’m pretty sure the legal repercussions fall on to you, rather than the employer for doing this. If a boss called me a “[zb]” on my first week of work, I wouldn’t be back the next day.

Did you go over 15 hours on the card or did someone come out and drive you back ?

I never pulled my card and never went over my hours the misses come and picked me up took me home then next took lorry back to yard and that was it there and then for me. Luckily I was quite clue up from drivers was a coach driver for 1 year and half. Just baffled me that a transport manager could be running things this way.

There is now a Traffic Commissioner on the main forum (who first came on the forums claiming to be one and calling himself ‘Bogbrush’, resulting in howls of laughter and ridicule). Anyway, he has said that ejecting the card is a far worse offence than going over by a few minutes.

Being shouted at on the phone with such language by the person supposed to be overseeing your compliance is a sure-fire reason to immediately return to the yard, eject card and never return to the premises ever again.

Not saying this is the best option in all employment situations, but it doesn’t even sound like the kind of place that would know how to write a reference, so really just a case of moving on and forgetting the place ever existed.

volkswagen1994:
I never pulled my card and never went over my hours the misses come and picked me up took me home then next took lorry back to yard and that was it there and then for me. Luckily I was quite clue up from drivers was a coach driver for 1 year and half. Just baffled me that a transport manager could be running things this way.

Good one :smiley:

Pulling the card and carrying on driving is a serious offence and you was certainly right not to do that, it sounds like you was unlucky to be on this company for your first HGV job, most TMs would not expect or want you to drive without the card in.

Better luck next time :wink:

One thing I’ve learned from reading this forum is if we (drivers) don’t keep ourselves legal, no-one else will. :exclamation:

Record what he says and seek legal advice, get him charged if there are grounds!

It is the TM’s responsibility to only devise schedules that are legally reasonable. Naturally, all sorts of stuff can scupper it, but it’s got to start off as reasonable.

And the Traffic Commissioners would like to hear about any operator not adhering to this simple rule.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing: