Rate the blue corsa driving? ( not me )

fb.watch/87nmwS4SsC/

context

bin lorry rolls through oncoming traffic and narrowly misses a dog-walker.
They only just managed to jump out of the way of the large truck before it smashed into a wall.

I rate the corsa a solid 9/10 could of had more awareness from the get go, but we cant see the full video to know that

Not something you’d want to be faced with [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Good bit of predictive avoidance based on where the truck was going and would be v the car, if he’d continued with the aborted move into the side street.
Where was the bin wagon’s driver and why ?.

Carryfast:
Good bit of predictive avoidance based on where the truck was going and would be v the car, if he’d continued with the aborted move into the side street.

Bin drivers constantly in and out of the lorry. Chances are he jumped out and forgot to put the handbrake on.
One of the issues of bin drivers being on job and knock. Always in a rush to finish.

adam277:

Carryfast:

Bin drivers constantly in and out of the lorry. Chances are he jumped out and forgot to put the handbrake on.
One of the issues of bin drivers being on job and knock. Always in a rush to finish.

As opposed to employ enough bin crew so the driver can do the job of driving.

You would think that if the handbrake wasn’t put on surly an alarm would go off when the drivers door opens.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Would the Corsa have had a chance of stopping the truck? At the expense of damaging the Corsa could have saved someone’s life.

rearaxle:
You would think that if the handbrake wasn’t put on surly an alarm would go off when the drivers door opens.

I’ve never…

Come across a truck that had an alarm of that nature. It seems a good idea but one the manufacturers avoid for some reason.

yourhavingalarf:

rearaxle:

I’ve never…

Come across a truck that had an alarm of that nature. It seems a good idea but one the manufacturers avoid for some reason.

The Actros has it.

Dav1d:

yourhavingalarf:

rearaxle:

I’ve never…

The Actros has it.

Good to know…

I’ve never heard it in the Actros’ I’ve driven.

The park brake alarm is part of the Australian Design Rules, for mine site access it has to be an external alarm.

Every truck I’ve driven in the last 15 years has had an handbrake alarm. Granted, some are barely audible, but they’ve all had one.

yourhavingalarf:

rearaxle:

I’ve never…

Brakesafe.

An aftermarket fitment that utilises a pressure pad in the drivers seat and sensors on the door, lift your arse off the seat with the door ajar and the brakes apply instantly with audible alarm, you then have to apply the park brake and press the reset button on the unit before you can move again.

Considering the Corsa driver was not likely to be a full time driver, did OK in my book.

All our trucks have an audible warning if handbrake not applied but door opened
Only slight issue is that they’re all different and could be confused.
My unit uses a verbal warning

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

stu675:
Would the Corsa have had a chance of stopping the truck?.

In theory but say the bin truck is 30T, I wouldn’t want to test it with a 1T Corsa. Plus theres a high risk it would rode up onto the front of the car.

Car driver probably thinking WTF and might not even realise theres no driver.

Most new trucks have an alarm for almost everything. Handbrake off, beep. Seat belt off, bong. Door open, buzz.
Usually you have to look at the dashboard for the message to tell you what this specific noise is warning you about

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Terry Cooksey:
Most new trucks have an alarm for almost everything. Handbrake off, beep. Seat belt off, bong. Door open, buzz.
Usually you have to look at the dashboard for the message to tell you what this specific noise is warning you about

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thats probably the trouble here, so much bloody dinging donging bonging and buzzes sounding off that they just become background noise, bit like alarms going off these days.

I have been working on bin wagons for a few years and not one has ever crashed due the drivers rushing to get finished, drivers rarely get out of the cab on the big town rounds as they are all 3 man crewed!

If you open a door in the Dennis wagons when the vehicle is moving even slightly a voice says “Driver apply the handbrake”

Bin Man:

I have been working on bin wagons for a few years and not one has ever crashed due the drivers rushing to get finished, drivers rarely get out of the cab on the big town rounds as they are all 3 man crewed!

If you open a door in the Dennis wagons when the vehicle is moving even slightly a voice says “Driver apply the handbrake”

Yep all are supposed to have a warning. Yet, how many test that audible warning noise as apart of their daily checks? I’ve driven lorries before that have not had it.
Just google run away dustcarts. This is not an isolated incident. This has happened on multiple occasions.
I’ve also done dustcarts and it is a constant rush job and knock mentalility. Also it is not always a 3 man crew. It is supposed to be though.

adam277:

Bin Man:

Yep all are supposed to have a warning. Yet, how many test that audible warning noise as apart of their daily checks? I’ve driven lorries before that have not had it.
Just google run away dustcarts. This is not an isolated incident. This has happened on multiple occasions.
I’ve also done dustcarts and it is a constant rush job and knock mentalility. Also it is not always a 3 man crew. It is supposed to be though.

Our drivers do their checks properly they have no reason to dodge anything as we have spare vehicles they can jump into should there be any defects.
I can imagine there are places where if something is not working and its not seen as a serious defect they will take the wagon out fortunately ours isn’t one.

Our big wagons are priority they always go out 3 crewed they never go out with just one loader as they would never finish, our smaller 12 ton bin wagons which do the rural rounds are usually double crewed but if we have a shortage they go out single crewed to allow the big wagons to be fully staffed.