Supermarket LGV Drivers

Just curious, how many supermarket drivers are employed directly by the supermarket and how many work for logistics companies. I’m assuming it’s better to be employed by the supermarket company direct?
What sort of companies run the distribution centres? Wincanton and Stobarts?
I suppose the risk could be you could be a driver direct to say Tesco for example, who then contract it out to a logistics company.

I’m with Wincanton on the Sainsbury’s contract. Sainsburys pay our wage, Wincanton manage the depot

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Coop employ direct but also use agency. I’ve done agency work with them found them to be good.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

spacemanZ10:
Coop employ direct but also use agency. I’ve done agency work with them found them to be good.

I think you are missing the OP’s point. He’s not asking about agency vs permanent employee - he is asking whether the permies are employed by the supermarket companies or if the transport side of things has been subbed out to a “logistics company” such as DHL, Stobarts, Wincanton etc.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

spacemanZ10:

I think you are missing the OP’s point. He’s not asking about agency vs permanent employee - he is asking whether the permies are employed by the supermarket companies or if the transport side of things has been subbed out to a “logistics company” such as DHL, Stobarts, Wincanton etc.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Ok yes, I was just saying though they haven’t subbed it out, and seem to treat agency staff on too. [emoji106]

I work on the Sainsbury’s contract, employed by DHL. But because we have a strong union we have by far better terms and conditions and a higher hourly paid rate for less hours than any Sainsbury’s run depot.!

Employed by Tesco directly in a depth that is ran by Tesco. Before me it had been DHL and someone else prior to that going back years but its been taken back in house now.

Question for those working for say DHL Sainsburys… do you guys get staff discount off store shopping and that kind of thing?

toonsy:
Employed by Tesco directly in a depth that is ran by Tesco. Before me it had been DHL and someone else prior to that going back years but its been taken back in house now.

Question for those working for say DHL Sainsburys… do you guys get staff discount off store shopping and that kind of thing?

If your depot is Unity at DIRFT then it started life as Power Logistics then went to Exel then DHL before DHL handed the contract back to Tescos because it was making a loss on it.

Jamestross:
I work on the Sainsbury’s contract, employed by DHL. But because we have a strong union we have by far better terms and conditions and a higher hourly paid rate for less hours than any Sainsbury’s run depot.!

Stoke?

toonsy:

i dont think they do at the snodland depot they certainly dont get the 1000 pound sign on bonus was told i would have to go to thurrock if i wanted that.

cooper1203:

toonsy:

i dont think they do at the snodland depot they certainly dont get the 1000 pound sign on bonus was told i would have to go to thurrock if i wanted that.

Snodland transport is ran by Maritime.

spacemanZ10:

Co op Godmanchester /Lea Green = Wincanton
Andover = XPO
Coventry = Stobarts (reason i took payoff after 11 years service)

toonsy:

cooper1203:

toonsy:

sorry thought you were asking if thoes that work for a logistic company at supermarket sights like dhl for sainsburys got the same perks as people that worked direct for supermarkets

mickymidas:

spacemanZ10:

Andover = XPO

Ok, I didn’t know that. I’ve only ever done bits for Castlewood and they are in house. Always found them to be decent.
Coop is a few different societies who all do thier own thing under one logo, unlike Tesco et al.

toonsy:

No Sainsbury’s discount card

stuwozere1:

Jamestross:

Stoke?

No Dartford.

mickymidas:

spacemanZ10:

Andover = XPO

There was talk of Stobbies going into Co-op West Thurrock before I left in 2016. Do you know if that happened?

LazyDriver:

mickymidas:

spacemanZ10:

Andover = XPO

There was talk of Stobbies going into Co-op West Thurrock before I left in 2016. Do you know if that happened?

Don’t know, sorry.

cooper1203:

toonsy:

cooper1203:

toonsy:

sorry thought you were asking if thoes that work for a logistic company at supermarket sights like dhl for sainsburys got the same perks as people that worked direct for supermarkets

I was lol

But I was also answering your bit about the 1k bonus. Because Snodland is Maritime they’d be employing you, not Tesco directly, hence no 1k at Snodland.whereas at Thurrock and Dagenham it’s directly with Tesco so you do get it at those sites.

It seems to be a deliberate ploy by the big supermarkets (excluding Aldi) to mix in house depots with contractors running others.

Sainsbury’s Haydock in house
Sainsbury’s Stoke DHL
Sainsbury Sherburn Wincanton

Co-op Castlewood in house
Co-op Avonmouth GXO
Co-op Coventry Stobarts

I’ve found some contractors get the same store discount as in house drivers, while others don’t, as with everything it varies from contract to contract.