"Greasy Spoon Cafes" The public face of Truckers

Just seen this DM article, where it still seems to be distorting the facts somewhat…

There are individual shifts available via agencies at top dollar rates - True
There are full time directly employed jobs via recruiters working directly for supermarkets - False.

Where do I sign up to an agency offering £27 an hour I’m in what’s not to like!!!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

It’s getting too much attention now the shortage
All big corporate companies getting their say
Any time soon now the government will bow and the flip flops will be back in their droves
There is just no other way around it

leeds-live.co.uk/news/uk-wo … r-21586800

Seemingly too good a rate is being offered? Same type of article, different rag.

Has anybody heard of anyone being approached whilst on their break being offered astronomical rates?

Does anyone know Barney?

einstein:
HGV drivers 'offered £54 an hour' by desperate agents trying to poach them at truck stops - Leeds Live

Seemingly too good a rate is being offered? Same type of article, different rag.

Has anybody heard of anyone being approached whilst on their break being offered astronomical rates?

Does anyone know Barney?

When I was on the coaches I was coming back through Calais to catch the ferry. All my passengers were getting passports checked etc so I was just waiting for them. I was doing scheduled intercity euro stuff at the time so think National Express but London to wherever and back again…

Anyway I was stood there waiting and an undercover agent who just looked like an undercover agent - a bit like inspector gadget - comes over to me, offers me his hand so instinctively I shook it and felt him pop a business card in it and he tapped his nose and off he went. Not a word was spoken. So i looked at this card and was in case I suspected people smuggling so I could report it.

To this day I’ve no idea why the secret squirrel act but it was weird and is probably the closest I’ve been to being poached by anyone :laughing:

Bigtruck3:
Any time soon now the government will bow and the flip flops will be back in their droves

Have you ever asked yourself why?
“Flip-flops” is a lazy, witless, cowardly, and racist way of talking about people. What do you mean when you use that term? Is it funny, witty or helpful?

Another snowflake.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Bigtruck3:

As I see it why would they bother? They’ve got 27 nations to choose, why would anyone come here to a country that doesn’t want them on what will probably be a temporary visa?

Has anyone considered that even with fast track visas, full benefits, and jumped-up the housing list - they might not want to come back anyway :question:

Winseer:
Has anyone considered that even with fast track visas, full benefits, and jumped-up the housing list - they might not want to come back anyway :question:

I fear I’m on his foe list :smiley:

Was an article on radio yesterday.
Saying drivers of bin lorries in various areas of the country .are being approached on there rounds by companies.
Basically offering them jobs and.more money. And it’s leading to shortage of bin men in areas now.
Mostly Devon and Cornwall area .

edd1974:
Was an article on radio yesterday.
Saying drivers of bin lorries in various areas of the country .are being approached on there rounds by companies.
Basically offering them jobs and.more money. And it’s leading to shortage of bin men in areas now.
Mostly Devon and Cornwall area .

Are Gregory’s that desperate :laughing:

einstein:
Does anyone know Barney?

I think the reporter left out the ‘L’… :stuck_out_tongue:

Surely this is fake?

Fella saying was approached by guy in truckstop with 2k in briefcase and offered it him on the spot to work for him.

Also here’s a quote from article i think they need a calculator

He was offered five night shifts a week paying £27-per-hour, with time-and-a-half for Saturdays and double-time for Sundays (£54).

All good so far then article says

An hourly rate of £54 is £432 for a typical eight-hour shift, £2,160 for a five-day week, £8,640 a month and £103,680 gross per year.

“In this industry, that is unheard of,” Barney, of Milton Keynes. said. "I mean my boss doesn’t even earn that.

“They are really looking for supermarket delivery drivers to do weekends, and the money is astronomical.”
Earn 100k err only if every day was Sunday at double pay then yes that’s how theve calculated it

edd1974:
Surely this is fake?
An hourly rate of £54 is £432 for a typical eight-hour shift, £2,160 for a five-day week, £8,640 a month and £103,680 gross per year.
Earn 100k err only if every day was Sunday at double pay then yes that’s how theve calculated it

At last! Someone here who can actually read (between the lines)
And write!

rearaxle:
Another snowflake.

Thank you for this valuable and enlightening contribution. Your opinions are very important to us, and will be noted down.
© Every phone help-line…

(and thrown in to the shredder, where they belong. Mind you, they may well stay there for some time, our local authority is having trouble recruiting drivers for their waste-recycling lorries, and are now only collecting twice per year.)

wakou:

Bigtruck3:

Have you ever asked yourself why?
“Flip-flops” is a lazy, witless, cowardly, and racist way of talking about people. What do you mean when you use that term? Is it funny, witty or helpful?

Sorry if he has offended you sweetheart, but should you not be sat blocking traffic on the M25? By flip flops he means the people from what used to be from the poorer European countries who were willing to work for peanuts thus keeping the wages lower for the past decade and our weak government are about to cave in and do what the corporates are wanting

Night-and-day:
Sorry if he has offended you sweetheart, but should you not be sat blocking traffic on the M25? By flip flops he means the people from what used to be from the poorer European countries who were willing to work for peanuts thus keeping the wages lower for the past decade and our weak government are about to cave in and do what the corporates are wanting

You mean those people who are more literate, better qualified and harder-working than you? And you are now envious of them?
After all they could actually pass a stringent test to drive a truck, learn to read and write, not only in their own language, but in two, three or four others.
People of our generation from “those countries” learned Russian, German and English. As well as their own “mother-tongue”, whether that was Polish, Czech, Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian. (all of which are very difficult to learn, except Romanian which is quite easy… If you know Latin or Italian, or even Esperanto.)
How many languages do YOU speak, “sweetheart”?
In which countries have you learned the precise details of tax and employment law?
Did you take advantage of IR35 when it was available?
Or are you just another miserable and jealous old racist?

wakou:

Night-and-day:

You mean those people who are more literate, better qualified and harder-working than you? And you are now envious of them?
After all they could actually pass a stringent test to drive a truck, learn to read and write, not only in their own language, but in two, three or four others.
People of our generation from “those countries” learned Russian, German and English. As well as their own “mother-tongue”, whether that was Polish, Czech, Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian. (all of which are very difficult to learn, except Romanian which is quite easy… If you know Latin or Italian, or even Esperanto.)
How many languages do YOU speak, “sweetheart”?
In which countries have you learned the precise details of tax and employment law?
Did you take advantage of IR35 when it was available?
Or are you just another miserable and jealous old racist?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: priceless