Movianto Knaresborough

Down for a Agency shift on Class 1 for Movianto Knaresborough on Friday, can anyone shed any light on what I can expect (types / ease of drops in particular…)

Experienced in a rigid, but first time out unaccompanied on Class 1…

Don’t work for them,but see them at alot of places I go.
Mixture of rdc/inter depot/pharmaceutical wholesalers.
Pharmaceutical wholesalers can be tight…especially if all the vans are back.
Don’t drive straight into these.
Park outside,and walk in.

Kempston memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=142351 works for them. He speaks very highly of them according to his posts. :smiley: Might be worth a pm.

commonrail:
Pharmaceutical wholesalers can be tight…especially if all the vans are back.
Don’t drive straight into these.
Park outside,and walk in.

Thanks for your reply Commonrail although I reckon I might have worked that out for myself - about 10 seconds after I’d driven straight into one :laughing:

So joking aside, REALLY appreciate the tip, Thank you.

DCPCFML:
Kempston memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=142351 works for them. He speaks very highly of them according to his posts. :smiley: Might be worth a pm.

Didn’t note whose posts they were, but did a quick forum Search last night which did make me wonder what I’m letting myself in for (something about having to use a stinking portaloo rather than the office toilets, oh and signing a foot deep wad of disclaimers, springs to mind).

Still on the upside it’s just one day and may (greatly) help to build my experience…

Will probably try a quick PM, hopefully get a response before 6am tomorrow…

Thought I’d do a recap of my Day here - might be useful for the next person searching for info on them.

Kempston wasn’t that complimentary about the Management of the Bedford depot in the PM he sent me (large understatement).

Fortunately everyone was pretty great at Knaresborough (maybe something to do with the no longer mythical, now seemingly real driver shortage situation, or my preferred view - that people are friendlier up here :slight_smile: ).

If they were just being nice in the hope I’d come back, it didn’t work, I was offered another shift the following Friday and declined :smiley:

There was a fair old wad of paperwork to get through at the start of the shift, still from my point of view (first day driving Class 1 professionally) was a big relief to only have 4 drops (round Leeds) and a collection (Sheffield).

3 of the Leeds drops were easy enough (even for me) plenty of space to drive in and turn round (eventually :slight_smile: ) and could just pull up anywhere with everything forked off the back.

The one Leeds drop that was a bit more awkward was in Hunslet (Moor House, 125 Moor Road). For a start my Garmin had led me there via a T junction onto a semi residential street (plus small parade of shops and steel railings on the junction corner). Would not normally have been a problem (just pinch a bit of the other side of the junction assuming no cars there or oncoming) however could only use my side of the road turning into the junction as other side was coned off and occupied by two workmen and a JCB.

Did hesitate for a moment but went for it, railings did look quite close in the mirror at one point, but got round ok. Once I’d made the drop and exited out the other end of Moor road, discovered THAT was straight onto a major urban DC so would have been a much better way in…

As for the drop itself, was also the most awkward. Goods In was right round the back, with a long straight driveway (maybe 10 feet clearance between building and fence) to access it.

So, as per Commonrail’s suggestion, on foot and assess the rear area. Just a couple of vans parked up, I’m reasonably confident should be able to spin it round ok, so drive straight in (forwards). As per other 3 drops, just park anywhere and forked off the back, so far so easy.

Less easy was getting back out (for this Novice) didn’t manage to get my trailer fully behind the cab for the drive back out (was maybe 5 or 10 degrees off the straight ahead, over to the passenger side, which made things quite tight down an - estimated - 10 feet clearance driveway).

First attempt at exiting looked verrry close in passenger mirror to yellow and black steel bollard protecting corner of building, so reverse and try again.

Don’t think I got the trailer any straighter behind the cab on the second attempt, what I did do this time was get the driver’s side mirror about 2 inches off the adjacent fence.
As I type this out now I realise I could have folded that mirror in to get the cab closer still to the fence - ah well.

Anyway, I could see a little daylight between the trailer and that bollard on the passenger side, so got out and nothing touched…

As I was taking my time exiting there was someone waiting to come in. I initially assumed another Artic driver (thinking Gawd what’s taking this guy so long :unamused: ) but as I got out discovered he was in a Rigid (so maybe thinking glad I don’t have to do this drop in an Artic :laughing: ).

Anyone else got experience of that drop (I’m not saying it was Tight, I really do not yet have the experience to judge, just saying it was easily the tightest out of 5 I’ve done to date. Would be great to hear an experienced driver’s perspective).

With the 4 drops done round Leeds, took half an hour break at about 1.30pm at A1/M1 link road services. After 6am start and hitting the road about 7, I’ve still only travelled about 70 miles up to this point.

Took me a while to manoeuver into line between Artics at the Mway services, but I’m already too tired to care. Notice my Artic is a foot or two longer than the two I park between.

Nothing better when you are tired and have been up 9 hours already, to take your first 30 minute break with a flipping diesel powered fridge unit noise maker chugging away right behind you the whole time :imp:

Er, this has turned into quite a long post, so will just wrap it up by saying for the Sheffield collection had to back onto a bay and got a big cheer when I finally managed it. :smiley:

Well done.

Always remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and experience will come. If you do the job to the customers satisfaction as an agency bod, you will build up your reputation as a grafter and looker after of equipment, and will get asked back constantly. Don’t fall into the trap of moaning about the job as you will join the long list of agency drivers sat at home. Although given the current climate, that may be different.

As an agency bod, you get to learn who the best companies are, and who are ones to avoid, and work can become enjoyable at the right place. With that comes longevity in the quiet times. I was always lucky in that respect in my days as an agency driver.

Never be afraid to ask the customer to explain something if you are not sure. What a lot of companies don’t realise, is that the agency driver might go to 100 places to work, which means 100 different procedures to remember.

And always remember. Manners cost nothing.

Ken.

I have never been, but looking at 125 Moor rd on google maps, could you not have spun it round in the yard at the rear, there looks like loads of room, in the sattelite view you can see the tyre marks where others have spun it round.

Quinny:
Well done.

Always remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and experience will come. If you do the job to the customers satisfaction as an agency bod, you will build up your reputation as a grafter and looker after of equipment, and will get asked back constantly. Don’t fall into the trap of moaning about the job as you will join the long list of agency drivers sat at home. Although given the current climate, that may be different.

As an agency bod, you get to learn who the best companies are, and who are ones to avoid, and work can become enjoyable at the right place. With that comes longevity in the quiet times. I was always lucky in that respect in my days as an agency driver.

Never be afraid to ask the customer to explain something if you are not sure. What a lot of companies don’t realise, is that the agency driver might go to 100 places to work, which means 100 different procedures to remember.

And always remember. Manners cost nothing.

Ken.

Thanks Ken !

Had a real feeling of accomplishment when I got back to the depot about 12 hours later (all the drops done and nothing touched - unless you count hedges).

Current climate certainly is different. When I contacted the agency looking for Class 1 experience (first time in 4 years, having been with the same employer on Class 2 through that period) They came back to me within a few days with the following:

1. they could get me ongoing Class 1 work for Mondays and Fridays (I’ve been down to 3 days with my current employer since I came off Furlough)

2. But would I like a job instead? (Artic / circa 40 hour week allegedly / a couple of nights out a week / based in the same village as my current employer that’s a 13 minute drive from my house).

I start in a week’s time. My takehome pay is going to double, which is nice.

A fair amount of it is delivery to farms.

shullbit:
I have never been, but looking at 125 Moor rd on google maps, could you not have spun it round in the yard at the rear, there looks like loads of room, in the sattelite view you can see the tyre marks where others have spun it round.

I did spin it round in the yard at the rear, just not quite well enough to get the trailer fully straight behind the cab when I came to attempt the exit.

Probably not an issue for a more experienced driver …