Hgv class 1 fail

Hi guys. I failed my class 1 today. Everything perfect literally perfect. He failed me on 4 times not checking my over shoulder blind spot before pulling off even though I WAS CONSTANTLY checking my blind spot mirror. Im thinking this was very jobsworth and petty. I know i cant do anything about it now. He even said to my trainer hes a brilliant driver but ive had to fail him on blond spot checking

Jayjay1976:
Hi guys. I failed my class 1 today. Everything perfect literally perfect. He failed me on 4 times not checking my over shoulder blind spot before pulling off even though I WAS CONSTANTLY checking my blind spot mirror. Im thinking this was very jobsworth and petty. I know i cant do anything about it now. He even said to my trainer hes a brilliant driver but ive had to fail him on blond spot checking

Can’t see an instructor failing you for not doing it if you were tbh. We’re you moving your head and looking right out the window and down the side of the cab? It would be very hard not to notice someone doing a shoulder check as an examiner.

You were told you need to do it in training. You haven’t done it on your test as instructed, silly thing to do.
Not sure how it’s petty.
You’re required to do it for 1 hr to pass your test, simple as that.
I feel for you, on your retest, make sure to do it and you’ll pass, simples.
Good luck.

I believe…

You can appeal the examiners decision but, the court cannot change your test result. You might be awarded a free re-test if the court rules in your favour.

I think that with the modern mirrors there is less need for the over the shoulder thing. There ball there rules. Just nail it next time.

Good luck for your retest.A great feeling when he tells you you passed the classone,you have this to come

Over the shoulder checks are important - not just for passing the test.
I still do that in a car, never mind a truck.

It’s not petty at all. A blind spot is somewhere you can not see from normal vision or with a mirror. The examiner gave you 4 chances to demonstrate, in case you’d forgotten on occasion, but after failing to check that many times, they had no choice but to fail you.
Take it on board, but remember the positives they gave as well. Get your retest booked, and you should fly through it next time

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

In the real world no lorry driver does an over the shoulder check. Having said that, if that’s what the test demands then simply do it. It’s only one hour out of many thousands that you have, so no great hardship really.

As an aside, my HGV instructor told me to adjust my mirrors for the test so that I had to make enhanced head movements to check them. They like that apparently.

the maoster:
In the real world no lorry driver does an over the shoulder check. Having said that, if that’s what the test demands then simply do it. It’s only one hour out of many thousands that you have, so no great hardship really.

As an aside, my HGV instructor told me to adjust my mirrors for the test so that I had to make enhanced head movements to check them. They like that apparently.

Yep even exaggerate your head movement for any mirrors whether car or truck to ensure the examiner has seen you look in the mirrors.

ScaniaUltimate:
Over the shoulder checks are important - not just for passing the test.
I still do that in a car, never mind a truck.

Me too. Don’t believe in the ■■■■■■■■ posted about not needing to check properly. Only a week or so back I came up on an artic close to home. He’d had plenty of time to see me in his mirrors, so should have known I was there. I got as far as the suicide spot beside his cab and over he came. Luckily for me the kerb on my right was one of the roll over type and I got over far enough to avoid him. If he’d looked down he would have seen me! My Mrs nearly ■■■■ herself.

Your own words “failed 4 times for not checking over your shoulder blind spot when PULLING OFF” different to constantly checking your blind spot mirror whilst driving

simcor:

the maoster:

Yep even exaggerate your head movement for any mirrors whether car or truck to ensure the examiner has seen you look in the mirrors.

Just going to say this… its abkiut showing the examiner that you’re doing. If you’re doing it anyway great but it’s making it obvious to him/her

I failed mine the first time, for a very similar thing as I remember. I got the same examiner when I did the retest and after I passed I said something like " you failed me the first time" and his reply was " you failed yourself, all I do is watch and record what you do and don’t do, then add the numbers up at the end". Couldn’t really argue with that although I suspect there is a bit more to it than that.

manski:
I failed mine the first time, for a very similar thing as I remember. I got the same examiner when I did the retest and after I passed I said something like " you failed me the first time" and his reply was " you failed yourself, all I do is watch and record what you do and don’t do, then add the numbers up at the end". Couldn’t really argue with that although I suspect there is a bit more to it than that.

Not that I like using the over used word but your ABSOLUTELY spot on

Jayjay1976:
ive had to fail him on blond spot checking

Those blonds get you every time :blush:

alamcculloch:
I think that with the modern mirrors there is less need for the over the shoulder thing. There ball there rules. Just nail it next time.

You think wrong. No matter what mirrors you have you still have a blind spot!

CookieMonster:
It’s not petty at all. A blind spot is somewhere you can not see from normal vision or with a mirror. The examiner gave you 4 chances to demonstrate, in case you’d forgotten on occasion, but after failing to check that many times, they had no choice but to fail you.
Take it on board, but remember the positives they gave as well. Get your retest booked, and you should fly through it next time

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Spot on.

As a bus driver myself for 18 years, check your blind spots always! Saved me a few times!!

Very easy to forget to do, I often forget! But yes be a nodding dog next time, even say it out allowed, mirror, mirror, blind spot, go!

RoadHogMad:
As a bus driver myself for 18 years, check your blind spots always! Saved me a few times!!

Very easy to forget to do, I often forget! But yes be a nodding dog next time, even say it out allowed, mirror, mirror, blind spot, go!

Nice to hear of a proper driver that knows the score. :smiley: