At what point ?

So if we beleive theres a "driver shortage " and rates of pay and terms and conditions are getting better the question has to be -

At what point does the bubble burst ?

At some stage drivers will become more expense than they are worth to companies . At that point (if not long before ) drivers will be accused of holding the country to ransom and there will be calls to open the floodgates for cheap labour from whereever. Much as I hate to mention it but the miners thought they had the country held to ransom and we saw how that ended up .
Where do you all see it going ?
What do you think the new normal will be - £45 , 50 , 60 k or more a year.

Interested to hear others opinions on where it will end up.

You’ll find the answer to your question on any one of the half dozen threads started on the same subject this week, if you can be bothered to look.
They’re all on this page!

beefy4605:
So if we beleive theres a "driver shortage " and rates of pay and terms and conditions are getting better the question has to be -

At some stage drivers will become more expense than they are worth to companies . At that point (if not long before ) drivers will be accused of holding the country to ransom and there will be calls to open the floodgates for cheap labour from whereever. Much as I hate to mention it but the miners thought they had the country held to ransom and we saw how that ended up .

Americans get up to 100k i hear in dollars of course…

beefy4605:

In my opinion the bubble doesn’t burst, it just means that we end up with a pay that reflects the job that we do, it won’t keep on going up and up. It will level out where our T&Cs and hours will improve significantly. The wage will improve from where we are at. Hauliers will have to either raise their rates or not able to keep drivers, the supermarkets will have to reduce their profit margins and so will the hauliers. Prices of goods will only increase if they try to keep their present profit margins. Those who try this will probably dissapear. This is my opinion only and based on my belief.

It will last until the new passes have reversed the situation and there is a glut of drivers looking for work, then we shall see new contracts being imposed just as before with a drastic reduction in pay and conditions. The ‘empty shelves’ propaganda will morph into ‘drivers pay rises hitting the cost of your weekly shop’ headlines becasue that will be better received than continuing the current ‘bring back the immigrant labour’ approach.

Someone care to work out the effect per £1 hr on the price of one can of beans on a trailer load? Probably about an average 12 hrs of driver pay including drive, load, drive, unload, return.

cav551:
It will last until the new passes have reversed the situation and there is a glut of drivers looking for work, then we shall see new contracts being imposed just as before with a drastic reduction in pay and conditions. The ‘empty shelves’ propaganda will morph into ‘drivers pay rises hitting the cost of your weekly shop’ headlines becasue that will be better received than continuing the current ‘bring back the immigrant labour’ approach.

Someone care to work out the effect per £1 hr on the price of one can of beans on a trailer load? Probably about an average 12 hrs of driver pay including drive, load, drive, unload, return.

it’s got to be less than 1 pence per can with a full load
If you have 30 ton of beans for example
500g a tin would be 30000 ÷ 0.5
which mean you could carry a full load of 60,000 tins of beans
1 pound x 12 is 12 pound a day
I get 0.0002 pound per tin

cav551:

assuming 1 tonne pallets 26 pallets to a lorry 26/£12 = £2.17 per tonne

tesco sell hienz backed beans at £2.05 per kg or £0.85 for a single can according to thier site
£2.05 x 1000 = £2050 per tonne
£2050 + £2.17 = £2052.17 per tonne
£2052.17 / 1000 = £2.0517 per kg
an increase of £0.0017
at the rates stated there are 205/85 = 2.4 cans per kg
£0.0017/2.4 = £0.00071 per can

thing is this probably pales into signicance compaired to the tax hike on fuel and road tax

So…

Give or take a few 0.0002 to 0.0071 pence per can difference, that’s the amount of increase.

Yeh, the public and media will lynch us on the spot for destroying their household budgets for the foreseeable future.

thanks maths chappies :smiley:

Double…

yourhavingalarf:
Give or take a few 0.0002 to 0.0071 pence per can difference, that’s the amount of increase.

Yeah but then give this to the accountants and they multiply that by the number of tins they sell per year and OMG we’re losing £27 profit…lets pay agency drivers instead. Of course they ignore the amount of bonuses the chief exec has gotten.

Expect wails from the Daily Mail soon.

I’m still not tempted to give up my free time for “Umbrella assignment rate is X”, when the umbrella assignment rate is the current PAYE rate. Yellowbelly DH agency take note.(I’m quietly confident zero notice will be taken until they have no choice).
I hold a full Class 1, DCPC and Tacho card as an insurance policy to redundancy. Highly unlikely in my profession, but you never know. I’ve often considered driving on a Sunday for extra holiday money, but the rates dropped to poop. In 1998/9 ish on weekend agency I was paid £10ph, minimum 10 hours guaranteed plus £10 expenses, just off the A14. I often only did 8hrs max. £110 / 8 = £13.75 equivalent. That was 22 years ago.
There is no elusive reason for the driver shortage.
1.) Government:- Improve / legislate LGV facilities.
2.) Employers :- A sea change in attitude and working patterns
3.) Show me the money

Themoocher:

cav551:

it’s got to be less than 1 pence per can with a full load
If you have 30 ton of beans for example
500g a tin would be 30000 ÷ 0.5
which mean you could carry a full load of 60,000 tins of beans
1 pound x 12 is 12 pound a day
I get 0.0002 pound per tin

Can confirm the maths. If you put up the wages by £2/hr for the driver it’ll add what, £20 to the delivery from manufacturer to RDC, RDC to store. Working on that it’s actually 0.03p per tin as I did the calculations on a standard pallet with cases of 400g tins. It’s not even one pence and if the retailer put up the price by a penny they’d be making several hundred percent profit on the increase in the cost of supply to them.

Beetlejuice:

beefy4605:

$100k is about £33k in our money based on what a friend of mine gets over there. He is in Seattle and gets $29/hr driving our equivalent of a 17 tonner delivering stationery to Staples stores. That would be about a tenner an hour over here.

phobus:
I’m still not tempted to give up my free time for “Umbrella assignment rate is X”, when the umbrella assignment rate is the current PAYE rate. Yellowbelly DH agency take note.(I’m quietly confident zero notice will be taken until they have no choice).
I hold a full Class 1, DCPC and Tacho card as an insurance policy to redundancy. Highly unlikely in my profession, but you never know. I’ve often considered driving on a Sunday for extra holiday money, but the rates dropped to poop. In 1998/9 ish on weekend agency I was paid £10ph, minimum 10 hours guaranteed plus £10 expenses, just off the A14. I often only did 8hrs max. £110 / 8 = £13.75 equivalent. That was 22 years ago.
There is no elusive reason for the driver shortage.
1.) Government:- Improve / legislate LGV facilities.
2.) Employers :- A sea change in attitude and working patterns
3.) Show me the money

The DH franchises do seem to have some of the lowest rates around. Effectively as low as they can go and still get drivers. What they charge the clients nobody knows, but many would have their suspicions.

Beetlejuice:

But that means little anyway. Costs of living including, health, holidays, taxes, housing, food, etc etc are all different.

DCPCFML:
$100k is about £33k in our money based on what a friend of mine gets over there. He is in Seattle and gets $29/hr driving our equivalent of a 17 tonner delivering stationery to Staples stores. That would be about a tenner an hour over here.

xe.com/send-money/
$100k is about £70k.
Hey! You are more than 100% wrong… :smiley:

An average Indian truck driver gets about £150 a month.
But…so what?

Wehn you say 45k, 50k or more p.a. I hope you realize there’s record inflation so 50 is the new 40 etc. in terms of purchasing power. Wages seem to be going up everywhere not just drivers.

DCPCFML:

Beetlejuice:

beefy4605:

How do you calculate that? Did you fail math at school? Are you unable to use a basic currency converter ? Can you tell me how big his house is in comparison to most people in the UK ? How much is his weekly diesel compared to us?
Add some more facts to back this BS up.

P.S 1 dollar is approximately 72 pence.

Beetlejuice:

DCPCFML:

Beetlejuice:

beefy4605:

How do you calculate that? Did you fail math at school? Are you unable to use a basic currency converter ? Can you tell me how big his house is in comparison to most people in the UK ? How much is his weekly diesel compared to us?
Add some more facts to back this BS up.

P.S 1 dollar is approximately 72 pence.

I know exactly what the exchange rate is thanks, my comparison is what pay US truck drivers are on vs us. It’s not a simple matter of taking our GBP wages and converting them to USD at the prevailing rate. There are clearly other factors otherwise he’d be on more like $14/hr for our class 2 equivalent, not over double that. US truckers are not getting £72k in our money. If you want to believe that (which is clearly what you’re implying), then be my guest.

For anyone who is interested, Simon sideways a HGV driver is doing a live stream at 8PM UK time about the driver shortages and collecting questions from drivers as he is being interviewed by some politician, you do not need to subscribe to him i am not. But i am interested in the discussion he is having.Have a look in and be professional people…
youtube.com/channel/UCfDcxQ … YuwNzzM4Sw