Hi, from a Wannabe with a driving hours question

Hi, there, so… yeah I fancy driving a truck.

I have been driving buses for 18 years and in-between that coaches so am familiar with domestic and EU driving rules, but I have a few questions…

I have told my employer that I plan on doing a class 2 first and that it would be in my own time and with a private company, not a problem I thought but they seem to think that it will count towards my driving hours/rest period, that they can’t document it and that I can’t do it. I was under the impression that if I was learning to drive a class 2 on my day off that it wouldn’t count as driving as it was training and exempt in some way or another, a bit like learning to ride a motorcycle. Help with this question is appreciated as even my director doesn’t know.

I plan on doing my class 2 first but over a period of time (on my days off), I have sent off for the D2/D4 forms so that I can add the provisional entitlement to my licence, locally there are HGV medical centres which charge around £50 for a medical, I presume I attach that with the D2/D4 forms and show any relevant training centre upon my first drive?
Will that one medical cover me for class 2 and 1 as i’m going to do one after the other?

I will then book a theory, my first attempt was 40/50 (fail), second 49/50 (pass). I knew all the other driving related questions but failed on ones I’ve never heard of, for example… What is the colour of the aux air hose, err… red? No! it’s blue, now I know! lol.

Does the theory pass certificate allow me to do both tests (class 2 and then 1) on one certificate?

I will invest in a theory book too!

That is my plan anyway, class 2 then class 1.

The wife also suggested a number plate for the cab window…

Untitled.png

Learning to drive in your spare time is nothing to do with your employer. However, if it was paid by the employer on company time then it would be work, but your card would not be in I don’t believe (you are not delivering or collecting anything). Don’t mention it and carry on regardless, just like having a walk in the park. At some stage your licence would have to be sent away, which is the only thing remotely relevant to your employer.

The theory covers both classes.

Noremac:
Learning to drive in your spare time is nothing to do with your employer. However, if it was paid by the employer on company time then it would be work, but your card would not be in I don’t believe (you are not delivering or collecting anything). Don’t mention it and carry on regardless, just like having a walk in the park. At some stage your licence would have to be sent away, which is the only thing remotely relevant to your employer.

The theory covers both classes.

That’s the path i’m probably going to go down as it makes sense.

LGV C training with a training school is exempt from all the driver regs

The vehicle is not being used for goods

Thank you for the reply guys!!