Tomtom 6250 fault (AGAIN!)

Ok so ive only been driving for about 7 months and it looks like ive knackered 2 satnavs already.
Any idea what im doing wrong.
1st one just died on me after about 4 months. Had driven from Bedfordshire to Bristol so itd been switched on for about 3 hrs. Pulled up at a drop, swithced the engine off and did the delivery.
Went back to the truck, started it up and the satnav was dead. Now, every evening I used to switch it off properly at the end of each day,stick it in its protective case and took it home with me. So though it could be me constantly fitting it and removing it from its magnetic holder that was the problem, ie wearing the connecting pins on the back out.

Take it back and get another.
This time ive just left it in the truck in its holder and let it switch itself of with the ignition.

Today, the same thing has happened!

Thats 2 satnavs in 7 months!

The only common denominator i can see is both of them have packed up after ive done updates on them.

The 1st one lasted 2 or 3 days after its 1st update then died.
The one i have now thats just died i updated yesterday.
Both updated at home using the wifi.

Help please, ive no idea whats going on with them/it.

Rich

Same truck? Possible power surges killing them…

Have you tried plugging it in to charge then holding the power button for a really long time (couple of minutes at least)? If the battery is dead dead (so badly drained) that’s the way to restart them, otherwise it won’t start until maybe it’s fully charged? 2nd option plug in leave to charge for 2-3-5 hours try starting it up. I’ve had mine for 2+ years used everywhere all sorts of plugs n trucks, only problem I’ve had is draining it too much then I do 1)

ps you can’t wear the pins out on the mount/sat nav itself as they’re magnetic :laughing: In your 1st case are you sure it was properly plugged in and charging because some sockets are very flimsy and a few bumps can be enough to ‘‘unplug’’ (cut off the power supply to your cable) and the snav will lose the juice without you noticing (happend to me on a few…occasions)

The power leads themselves seem to be susceptible to damage and constant plugging and unplugging isn’t doing it any favours.

As a matter of interest o/p you’re not driving a MAN are you?

Yeah my thought is the plug? Is it plugged into a 24v or 12v socket?

toonsy:

It’ll take either voltage mate. The problem occurs where it plugs into the cradle. I’m on my second in six months. A bit like the I phone charger which always breaks near the end that goes into the phone.

the maoster:

toonsy:

It’ll take either voltage mate. The problem occurs where it plugs into the cradle. I’m on my second in six months. A bit like the I phone charger which always breaks near the end that goes into the phone.

Ah you say that but I’ve a couple of melted charging leads that I’ve accidentally slipped into a 24v that have ended up hastily being withdrawn in a haze of smoke of burning plastic type smell :laughing:

My current multi says 12/24v but I’ve always had it in a 12v in a Scania but when we moved to Merc there’s only 24v sockets available so I was wary but this one is holding up.

Curious! I say curious because I plug mine into mains electricity no problem at home when I’m wanting decent wifi to do upgrades.

Thanks for your input everyone.
Its a 2015 DAF.

I put it on charge for a couple of hours last night at home. Then held the power button for about 30 seconds and it came back to life!
After a quick qoogle i found it was reccomended to do a factory reset after doing an update (strange but true) so did that too.
Then put the vehicle details back in and switched it off.

My deliveries today involved driving down the M1 and clockwise round the M25, over the dartford bridge to Croydon then onto Orpington. All good so far.
Then on the way back to the yard, the satnav tried to send me all the way around the M25 to get back to the M1!
Even tried to turn me off the last slip road just before the tunnel and get me to go clockwise round the m25!
Strange!
Checked the settings when i got back and couldnt find anything to see the cause if this. It took me over the bridge so why not through the tunnel?

Just to add, the plug and wiring is all routed well and isnt twisted or strained or anything. All looks ok there.

There is an anomaly with Dartford Tunnel. I’ve heard a few say the same thing but mine either works fine and doesn’t have that anomaly, or I don’t see it because I’m not looking at it as I know I’m going under it and next time I look I’m probably through and it’s sorted itself out.

Setting it for my yard is another. It’s no right turn out of my onto A5 for HGV but youcan turn right from A5 into the yard, but because that junction is flagged as no right turn from one direction it counts it from all directions so offers longer routes to circumvent it.

It probably didn’t want to route your return through the tunnel because of traffic delays at the tunnel and figured that the quickest route was the longest route. Live traffic does that sometimes.

If its dying after updates I assume you’ve got it plugged into a mains to USB charger? If so, I would buy another one, ideally not a cheap one as some are pretty dodgy. Branded phone chargers are also good.

There’s a known issue with the latest TomTom Truck map updates that leads to the device thinking there is a 7.5T weight limit for the Northbound (tunnels) Dartford Crossing. Hopefully to be fixed in the next map update. Workaround is to change your vehicle settings to 7.5T (retaining the height setting, obviously) if your route involves using the Dartford Crossing.

Rich T:
Thanks for your input everyone.
Its a 2015 DAF.

I put it on charge for a couple of hours last night at home. Then held the power button for about 30 seconds and it came back to life!
After a quick qoogle i found it was reccomended to do a factory reset after doing an update (strange but true) so did that too.
Then put the vehicle details back in and switched it off.

My deliveries today involved driving down the M1 and clockwise round the M25, over the dartford bridge to Croydon then onto Orpington. All good so far.
Then on the way back to the yard, the satnav tried to send me all the way around the M25 to get back to the M1!
Even tried to turn me off the last slip road just before the tunnel and get me to go clockwise round the m25!
Strange!
Checked the settings when i got back and couldnt find anything to see the cause if this. It took me over the bridge so why not through the tunnel?

Mines been doing the same for ages now tomtom admit it’s a fault and are trying to correct it last they told me it’s a fault on all versions that update via WiFi I did ask them why they keep selling them if they know they’re faulty but I never got an answer

Roymondo:
There’s a known issue with the latest TomTom Truck map updates that leads to the device thinking there is a 7.5T weight limit for the Northbound (tunnels) Dartford Crossing. Hopefully to be fixed in the next map update. Workaround is to change your vehicle settings to 7.5T (retaining the height setting, obviously) if your route involves using the Dartford Crossing.

That defeats the point of using a hgv sat nav if you set it to 7.5 tonnes

Rich T:

They’ve mis-applied the weight restriction on the right hand lanes to all lanes.
Set a way-point just north of where the roads rejoin after the tunnels. It forces a route through the weight restriction. (It will only moan about it being unsuitable)

paberriman:

Rich T:

They’ve mis-applied the weight restriction on the right hand lanes to all lanes.
Set a way-point just north of where the roads rejoin after the tunnels. It forces a route through the weight restriction. (It will only moan about it being unsuitable)

The issue then being that (as it does pretty much every day of the week) the traffic gets snarled up on the approaches to the tunnel but the all-singing, all-dancing TomTom can’t find you a better route because you’ve already forced it to use the tunnel, thus defeating the object of having the Live Traffic function in the first place…

Hopefully they’ll have it sorted for the next map update in a couple of months’ time.

Thanks everyone.
I went through the tunnel and there were no holdups on my way back to the yard.
Its a strange thing as the satnav didnt mind going either way before its update.
Never mind, at least i know its not just my unit.

Got a cheap Chinese one.Has done a good job so far no problems .