Allison Automatic Gearbox

So have been looking for a low horse power tractor unit and have found one a 2003 Renault premium but with an Allison automatic gearbox … are these boxes any good? What are they likely to be like on fuel? I thought these were only in garbage trucks / fire engines etc which I guess would make them suitable for urban stop / start stuff and might be a bit thirsty?? Anyone got experience of them in a tractor unit??

not in a tractor unit , but when i was at christian salvesen we had an 18 tonne DAF LF built with an alison fitted (this would be 2002 / 2003 ), it was a bit heavier on fuel than a manual , it was based at northampton and worked multi drop in leicester and coventry , and on nights it covered more miles on overnight deliveries with a larger area . i always rated it , so did the drivers, especially on urban deliveries. never had a problem with it , easy to use and it would out accelerate any of the other motors in the yard. i was really hacked off when the pratt of a night man nodded off and wrote it off up the arse of a stationary 44tonner.
tony

The Allison is reliable enough, but does rob a bit of power and use slightly more fuel.

I drive a Volvo 3 axle FE with said box - select drive and it’ll creep just like a car, great for tight manoeuvres but with only six speeds it isn’t the most economical.

It’s a torque converter box not an automated manual and pretty bullet proof made by GM in the good ol’ USA. Spares are supported well in the UK.