Effects of a Failed Leaf Spring?

What is the likely effect of a failed nearside front leaf spring on a large rigid vehicle, while going round a right hand bend?

By failed you mean snapped?

It makes the vehicle more unstable and is likely to put extra pressure on the other leaf springs and could cause them to fail.

Either way you do not drive if they have ‘failed’

Not braking particularly sharply either but had a front single leaf (weren’t they known as parabolic?) spring snap many years ago braking for a set of lights, almighty bang.
Came to rest on the bump stop, no trouble controlling the vehicle whilst driving it to the nearest dealer a few miles away, but obviously it was a harsher than usual ride.

Bearing in mind that the spring also anchors the axle to the chassis via the axle clamping bolts and the shackles and hangers you’re going to know about it if it lets go.My bet is some ‘interesting’ under steer characteristics ensued which applying more right hand lock just made worse. :wink: :laughing:

who still has leaf springs ?.

gingo:
who still has leaf springs ?.

Most lorries on the front steer .

The effects I found were that a grumpy mechanic having to bring a empty motor out to a rural back road because I was just a little over on the front o a four wheeler and he was missing his snap … were a dirty look lots o swearing and general bad temperament and threats to tell the gaffer I was a naughty boy!!

Depends on which leaf breaks and whether ahead of or behind the axle. A main leaf breaking ahead of the axle could result in a loss of steering control. If a leaf digs into the road surface it could turn the vehicle over.

cav551:
Depends on which leaf breaks and whether ahead of or behind the axle. A main leaf breaking ahead of the axle could result in a loss of steering control. If a leaf digs into the road surface it could turn the vehicle over.

Yep, Main leaf can cause a bit of trouble, but the others, not so much. I had a centre bolt go on the rear of a prime mover. I didn’t realise until I noticed it crabbing. No air bags in those days.

Thanks all.

It’s a good few years ago now, but I have experienced front spring damage.

My first Middle East trip and arrived at the foot of the Taurus Mountains in the dark - as I went over the railway level crossing I felt what I thought was a pothole and a bit of a bang, from then on its a slow crawl up the winding mountain road until you reach the top and feel the warmth of the Mediterranean contrasting the winter behind you.

A few hundred ks and finally at Bab Al Hawa, the Syrian Border and time for a detailed look round the truck - Oh ■■■■ - half my front offside leaf spring had snapped.

One of the local drivers transhipping there saw my problem and in no time at all, I was surrounded by Syrian & Turkish drivers eager to help fix my problem. Suddenly there were U Bolts and wedges appearing out of toolboxes and 2 of them took charge clamping up the broken springs with wedges & u bolts.

That bodge repair saw me all the way to Jeddah, a backload in Beirut and then back to the UK, my only regret - in hindsight - was not getting the springs repaired in Turkey as it took nearly 3 weeks to get a full replacement from Mercedes in Germany.