5G pilot to demonstrate advanced logistics in the UK

smartcitiesworld.net/news/5 … he-uk-6134

Now I know this is just a pilot project but if I read it right the purpose of this is to solve the issue in last mile logistics. They plan to do that by using 5G to allow remote teleoperations to control the vehicles .

The pilot will enable the removal of the driver from the process and allow remote teleoperations to control the vehicles which can carry up to 40 tonnes of materials. The project aims to showcase how network providers and industry can come together to design and develop automated logistic solutions which address industry challenges with innovation.

Will no doubt but of no concern to most of you. But its kinda easy to see why becoming a HGV driver does not appeal to most young people as a long term career path.

So I drive…

It all the way down the motorway and then R2-D2 takes over whilst I sit in a bus shelter presumably drinking Fanta?

Prepare for more dead cyclists.

Incidentally, where can I find a 44 ton vehicle that tares out at 4 tons?

yourhavingalarf:
So I drive…

It all the way down the motorway and then R2-D2 takes over whilst I sit in a bus shelter presumably drinking Fanta?

Nope.
If I am reading it right they are planning to solve the final mile logistics themselves by using 5G powered remote control tech.
As is it states.

The pilot will enable the removal of the driver from the process

They already have the tech to self drive on motorways the goal of this is to remove the driver completely via the use of 5G tech.

Now, the issue will obviously be what happens when the 5G networks go down. :grimacing:

I still think true auto pilot is still like 5-10 years away for HGVs. But they are really working on the tech to bring it to fruition.

:unamused: yyyaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn…have you nothing better to do… :confused: :neutral_face:

m.a.n rules:
:roll: yyyaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn…have you nothing better to do… :confused: :neutral_face:

Go on then. Elaborate, some very sensitive people on here like to get offended.
At a guess? Am I preaching doom and gloom? How dare I.

I hope they can remotely programme the tech to automatically scream “bell end” out the window at the cyclist/taxi/van who decides to dive down the inside when it wants to turn left :slight_smile:

Sorry if this is a bit vague.
But about 6 months ago went to.some warehouse for a collection. Wasn’t a big well. Known company.

And they had a self driving forklift truck.
Was.stood at roller shutter door watching.
This.big square thing was bringing pallets out placing them in a marked out area near the door…then the human forklift truck driver loaded them onto my truck

I wonder when 5g will take over for rigids and get the cages off multidrop supermarket lorries and push them up uneven kerbs into the store. There will always be a place for humans but it is reducing. We are sometimes our own worst enemies! When I left school as the pits shut they all came to work in our factories and call centres, that all got outsourced soon also. Now retail is the big employer and that shutting in droves only Amazon warehouses left to employ the bulk…

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

I recently watched a programme behind the scenes /how ocado works.
Was really fascinating.
Everything is done my computer’s and robots.
They bring the boxes up to the packer they take out the box of biscuits or what ever. the robot them takes the box away. And robot is waiting with next box of cereal for the packer to take pack into a bag.
Is good how they do it all .
But when you think years ago would of been a shop floor full off staff now it’s mostly robots

yourhavingalarf:
So I drive…

Tares out at 4 tonnes including all those batteries?

youtube.com/watch?v=3SAbJjktk7E