The joys of dealing with managers

Last week I was having a good day up to my 4th load, loaded, on the weighbridge, weighed out, spotted that my o/s steer was on the way down so reversed back into the site and called in the puncture.

2 hours later the fitter turns up, goes to sign in and a visiting manager (from the site that I’m based at) decides to not permit him on site. Tyre is now as flat as a pancake so I say I’m not moving it, tyre fitter says fair enough, goes outside and calls his boss whilst I call mine.

Fitter is told to go to his next job, my boss says that he’ll talk to the visiting manager. 45 minutes later I get told to tip the load off and go outside to wait for the fitter, not happy but the call has been made by my boss, so any damage is not my problem.

Unsurprisingly whilst I’m manoeuvring the tyre is trying to get off the rim, said manager now makes a call complaining that I’m damaging the yard!

To the real reason for this post, the site he ‘runs’ has 2 shifts of around 30 in each shift, part of their shift includes 15 minutes at end of shift to change/ wash before clocking out. Last month, using Covid as the reason, he told them to clock out on the way to the locker rooms rather than after changing/ washing, they have now found that many of them have been docked 15 minutes pay for each shift worked for unauthorised early finishes! One has had £45 docked in the month for the ‘early’ finishes.

Any ‘better’ managers out there?

To be fair you shouldnt be driving round with a flat tyre even in the yard.
You obviously work at a site that is full of micro-mangement. If they want it that way, then do everything by the book.

I was sent to collect a Gritter from our Godstone depot.When I reached the gate to leave with it the depot manager leapt out in front of the wagon to stop me.I stopped and shouted out the window whats the problem.He says you can’t take it we need it.I said I’ve been told to take it back to our workshops at Ewell it’s mid Summer and it ain’t going to snow tonight.
Next thing I know he’s opened the door and dragged me out of the cab onto the ground wanting a fight.I hadn’t even had time to apply the hand brake and the thing went rolling back across the yard.
That type of manager.
Then my manager defended the zb saying that he didn’t know that they wanted to use it for road surface dressing.
That type of manager.
Just another day on the council. :imp: :unamused: