Drivers medicals

Do i need to have a medical when i renew my licence i am 55 next and just received my renewal with a D4 medical form , i thought they had been deferred for 12 months

Not quite the situation: during the original lockdown you were allowed to request an extension if your licence was due to expire (all the usual caveats are assumed) but that was then. No excuse for not getting a medical now as most HGV-medical providing doctors are working as normal.

If you’re on Tyneside I can tell you where you can get one done for £45

Zac_A:
Not quite the situation: during the original lockdown you were allowed to request an extension if your licence was due to expire (all the usual caveats are assumed) but that was then. No excuse for not getting a medical now as most HGV-medical providing doctors are working as normal.

It says on the DVLA website that you don`t need to have a medical , just renew for 12 months ■■? confusing

ramone:

Zac_A:

It says on the DVLA website that you don`t need to have a medical , just renew for 12 months ■■? confusing

There was a thread of two on the Pro Forum. Several have had licences renewed, no medical. Definitely true pre Christmas, I think it still is so.
Nothing to stop you having a medical if you wish, and you should declare any problems, but not an issue.

Do you mean this page?
gov.uk/guidance/dvla-corona … te#history

I guess if you want to look at it as “medical not required” you could, but if it were me needing a licence renewal I would find the advice too vague, for the sake of a 15minute medical at under £50 I personally wouldn’t risk it.

EDIT: that’s the bit that would concern me and make me think I don’t want to take the gamble

Capture.PNG

Last year I had a bye on taking the annual medical as there has been a great deal of difficulty getting an appointment with the doctor because of Covid19, following the instructions I just sent in the old licence and within 10 days it came back renewed. My doctor charges £95 for the service and he has to do it in his own time ie his lunchbreak as he is obviously contracted to the NHS & it has to be paid in cash but with a receipt, it only takes about 20 minutes to do so a good earner for him. Usually I get the eye test done by an optician before going to see the doctor as this is always the bit that worries me, maybe one should give up the class one as nowadays I have a 7.5ton truck but never saw the sense in that as you could do a lot of damage with a vehicle of that weight if it went wrong. Will go for it again this year if one can as its a sort of pride thing having driven heavies for 50 years, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Last year I had a bye on taking the annual medical as there has been a great deal of difficulty getting an appointment with the doctor because of Covid19, following the instructions I just sent in the old licence and within 10 days it came back renewed. My doctor charges £95 for the service and he has to do it in his own time ie his lunchbreak as he is obviously contracted to the NHS & it has to be paid in cash but with a receipt, it only takes about 20 minutes to do so a good earner for him. Usually I get the eye test done by an optician before going to see the doctor as this is always the bit that worries me, maybe one should give up the class one as nowadays I have a 7.5ton truck but never saw the sense in that as you could do a lot of damage with a vehicle of that weight if it went wrong. Will go for it again this year if one can as its a sort of pride thing having driven heavies for 50 years, Buzzer.

Booked in at 8pm at a private medical centre on wednesday my doctors aren’t doing them

If it costs more than £60 then you have been ripped off

ROG:
If it costs more than £60 then you have been ripped off

£55 , my doctor charged £95 5 years ago , but why the confusion last year they were defering for 12 months this year they dont give out a clear message

Hi all, my licence was due to run out in November i rang DVLA who told me i had an automatic extension of 11 month,s so that would take me to October. Not that i don’t trust DVLA i ask a traffic officer who was have a coffee in local garage as he would be the one to nick me nd he said that it was right, but just to be on the safe side i also asked the traffic office of my at that time employer who is a very big company and they said they had a directive from DVLA and they also confirmed it was right but i believe as of the 1’st January you do have to get a medical. The DVLA also sid that if the photo on your licence expired in 2020 that also got an 11 month extension that’s what they told her indoor’s. :sunglasses: