Local knowledge Bideford

Got my last drop off last night at Clovelly rd ind est.
Heaed out to the main road to head towards Barnstaple for the M5, road closed RTA.
Headed back into Bideford, back past the ind est (Clovelly rd) past Maccy Ds, and stopped at petrol station to ask if that road was artic friendly to join the link road.
One guy said no probs, carry on then an argument started, :smiley: , between them, was told there was a bad bend up ahead (7.5 tonne wt limit, but circumstances prevailed) and with increased traffic, it would be a problem…so I.decided against it.
Did well to back up in dark on wrong side of road to turn around, :unamused: looked on map, surrounded by back roads, and as far as I could see, the only feasible way was back down A39 to cut across to Holsworthy, which was a long way round, and a complete ball ache that cost me an extra couple of hours in total.
Ok, it’s too late now, but just wondering if I COULD have got down that road back into Bideford.
Just curious…cheers.

It is quite narrow with plenty of parked cars. Steep near the bottom but I would say do-able. I drove down there a coupe of weeks ago in a car and met an 8 wheeler tipper coming up the other way.

We used to do a drop right behind that petrol station u mentioned and the bods there said not to go down into the town that way with an artic as the â– â– â–  would hit the fan , so I alway went back up to the 39 to the 386

Pleased I didn’t try it, last thing I wanted would be to be stuck down some narrow road in dark and ■■■■■■■ rain, with loads of diverted traffic coming other way. :unamused:
No way I would have unless I got some assurance anyway.
Thanks btw.

robroy:
Pleased I didn’t try it, last thing I wanted would be to be stuck down some narrow road in dark and ■■■■■■■ rain, with loads of diverted traffic coming other way. :unamused:
Thanks btw.

Quite right, Blackwells would have been closed anyway and you would have missed out on the ‘big bertha’

I would say it probably do able - BUT you would need to be lucky and not meet much oncoming traffic. The road is full of parked cars on both sides, and does narrow at the bottom with a couple of pretty sharp bends. It’s quite a busy road at the best of times as it’s only one of two roads out of Bideford town that join the a39. I used to take an 18 tonner up and down there quite often as I had a delivery on that street, could be a ballache sometimes as I was constantly stopping and meeting cars, so in an artic you could potentially get into a few difficulties. No other escape route for an artic down there either and no turning available. I wouldn’t recommend it if the main road traffic was being diverted onto this road.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Wildy:

robroy:
Thanks btw.

Quite right, Blackwells would have been closed anyway and you would have missed out on the ‘big bertha’

Come again. :neutral_face:

robroy:

Wildy:

robroy:
Thanks btw.

Come again. :neutral_face:

Google it!

So if that route was at the best dodgy,.and at the worst impossible,.was there a better alternative to the one I took?

You can just follow Clovelly rd down into Bideford it does go through a weight limit near the bottom and is narrow in places with some sharp turns. I’ve had to do it several times over the past few months ( both directions) because of RTC’s.
Met plenty of other trucks going through there was well.

Just follow that road right down to the roundabout at bottom of hill, turn left follow River until you meet A39 again.