Why is it acceptable to steal from other drivers..?

I don’t understand this - a truck cab is as much a shared working space as a desk. Why is it then that transport staff (desk jockeys) won’t do anything to investigate thefts committed in a cab? I’m sure if one of them left their phone at their desk and came in the next morning to find the phone is gone the whole place would be in uproar and likely the police involved.

Case in point, I forgot my sat nav mount in a truck last week on my last day…didn’t notice until this week when preparing my backpack for work. Asked office staff - cold blank stare. Asked shunter, he said he saw it that morning but left it on the windscreen where it was as he didn’t know who it belonged to…of course later the truck came back with it gone. It’s been used by who knows how many drivers in the 3 days and no one can be bothered to check. The replacement costs £35 plus shipping (magnetic one which doubles as a charger). No honor among drivers either which is the really sad part. I’ve found jackets, flasks, sat navs, headphones, documents etc. - always bring them to the office but now no good karma for me :cry:

On the bright side I’ve not yet managed to forget my sat nav itself (although I rarely even take it out of the bag nowadays); bought it 2 years ago for £250, now it’s £330 lol. Friend of mine managed to lose (have stolen) 2 already, 1 quite expensive (£300-ish), obviously transport couldn’t care less about “his” troubles so I guess employing thieves is ok in this day and age as long as you don’t steal something that belongs to THEM.

Just because there are nasty thieving drivers in the world, and nasty ignorant office workers, that isn’t a reason for you to copy them. Keep trying to do the right thing.
Daresay some will be here telling you what a gullible mug you are, and how it’s dog eat dog etc, but it always will be so If none of us care about doing the right thing.
It does leave a bad taste in the mouth knowing we work with thieves, but I think most drivers are mostly decent. Don’t let the bad uns drag you down.

Trust no one, it will help you get by in the long run. There are good people about it takes time to find them.

If you came to me and said you had a 200 quid satnav nicked while you were off I would ask you why you left it in your truck to be honest…

What if you came back to work and your motor was at the dealers or didn’t make it back, could you work without your satnav?

Darkside:
Trust no one, it will help you get by in the long run. There are good people about it takes time to find them.

Excellent advice.
As for getting my stuff nicked, I’d want some kind of violent revenge. :imp:
There again I never leave anything desirably nickable in my motor while I’m off. :bulb:

There again I never leave anything desirably nickable in my motor while I’m off. :bulb:

And more excellent advice :laughing:

I bet it hasnt been nicked, it will have been removed and put somewhere where you havent looked yet, if they havent got a sat nav to fit it, its of no use to them,

ETS:
… I’ve found jackets, flasks, sat navs, headphones, documents etc. - always bring them to the office but now no good karma for me :cry:

Franglais:
Just because there are nasty thieving drivers in the world, and nasty ignorant office workers, that isn’t a reason for you to copy them. Keep trying to do the right thing.

I think the OP was just upset he received no good karma in return for his previous good actions; not suggesting he is going to change his good ways.

ScaniaUltimate:

ETS:
… I’ve found jackets, flasks, sat navs, headphones, documents etc. - always bring them to the office but now no good karma for me :cry:

Franglais:

I think the OP was just upset he received no good karma in return for his previous good actions; not suggesting he is going to change his good ways.

Quite so. Maybe any good karma will be coming to him soon.

Franglais:
Daresay some will be here telling you what a gullible mug you are, and how it’s dog eat dog etc, but it always will be so If none of us care about doing the right thing.
It does leave a bad taste in the mouth knowing we work with thieves, but I think most drivers are mostly decent. Don’t let the bad uns drag you down.

Truck drivers are some of the biggest thieves going. Don’t leave anything in your truck if you want it to still be there when you get back after your 2 days off.

Guys I didn’t leave it there, I forgot to remove it probably because I was being distracted chatting to one of the loaders who had come out and was waiting for my keys. I know 100% not to leave anything behind that I’m not prepared to never see again and that is the sad sad part, that it’s way more likely to get nicked away than removed and stored. I mean even the shunter just shrugged it off instead of removing it and bringing it to the office, I’m not sure if the first driver after me took it or someone later or the day shunter…fact is someone took it (no it’s not in any of the compartments/pockets in the cab)

If someone stole the radio from the truck or an armrest or a wing mirror/tacho rolls/spare bulbs whatever to sell on ebay I’m quite certain the company would be very interested to find out who did it and that person would probably get fired on the spot even if they returned the stolen part simply because they’re a thief. Yet it’s ok to continue to employ them so long as they only steal other drivers’ belongings so IMO companies are contributing towards this sort of behavior…Yes it would cost them ££ to chase every minor theft but it wouldn’t it be worth it to weed out the thieves?

Lorry drivers don’t steal from other drivers or from other working people, ie mechanics who often leave tools behind.

Sadly the job is infested with people who will never be lorry drivers as long as they have the relevant orifice.

Juddian:
Lorry drivers don’t steal from other drivers or from other working people, ie mechanics who often leave tools behind.

Sadly the job is infested with people who will never be lorry drivers as long as they have the relevant orifice.

Nice comment.
Lorry drivers aren’t thieves.
Some thieves blag a job as a driver.
Sigh…
(where’s the wistful, yet wry, smiley emoji?) (Never find one when you need one)

> Juddian:
> Lorry drivers don’t steal from other drivers or from other working people, ie mechanics who often leave tools behind.
>
> Sadly the job is infested with people who will never be lorry drivers as long as they have the relevant orifice.

That’s not quite correct. Just because someone will never be a lorry driver doesn’t make them a thief. You would not steal, I would not steal and most decent drivers would never steal.

There have always been thieves amongst us young and old. :wink:

Franglais:

Juddian:

Sigh…
(where’s the wistful, yet wry, smiley emoji?) (Never find one when you need one)

Robroy has nicked them

Due to medical problems with a family member I’ve recently gone onto nights to be at home in the day. So I share the lorry with one other driver. No one else touches it. He has it in the day and I have it at night.

I feel really lucky after reading this. We both leave our satnavs and other stuff in the cab. We wouldn’t dream of touching each others stuff. I leave my map books and have told him he can use them if he wants. I leave my can’s of pop and other stuff and again I know it won’t be touched.

We both keep the cab clean and make sure it’s mint for when the other man gets in. Never have a problem.

If your stuff is being robbed etc then I think you need to look for a new job where you can both treat others well and be treated well. I’d be mortified to touch the other drivers stuff - I’d also be mortified to leave it dirty or without a full tank of diesel. Respect goes both ways I suppose and I get it back.

Juddian:

Those mysterious half moon slits you find in your trailer curtains at 5am aren’t done by nomadic travellers.

Mick Bracewell:

Juddian:

Those mysterious half moon slits you find in your trailer curtains at 5am aren’t done by nomadic travellers.

The ones 2 or 3 metres off the ground aren’t done by some one with long arms and a periscope.

Ages ago I had week off…they had some agency lad in while I was off.
For in truck.monday morning .
Found his bank card wallet and tacho card on dashboard.
God knows how he manged to leave them.behind.

I got into the routine as a Day driver that anything I put in at the beginning of my shift, I take out. The occasional biro is the only this I loose.

Did you check all the compartments, behind / under the seats etc? I would have said there would be a fair chance of said mount at least being detached from the windscreen and put somewhere out of the way. Thought it was worth a mention.