The weird and odd world of Agency telephone calls

So, after I passed my class 1 licence, I put my CV up on CV Library.

Here are some of the ■■■■ right weird to the outright scam calls I received -

Rrrrringggg…

Hello, can I help you?
You put CV up. You want class1? we have class1 we pay between 12.50 to 18.95 in your location.
Okay, that sound’s interesting. I take it you’ve read my CV so you know I’m a new pass? so what would I paid and what is the work?
Yes. it is trucking. class1. pay is between 12.50 and 18.95
Okay, I get that. can you confirm what sort of work it is and how much as a new pass I would be offered?
Fill form in online. you get work. pay between 12.50 and 18.95
Excellent! How far is the job from my location?
job is in your location. you fill in form online.
(I haven’t said where I am and he hasn’t either. Although it is clearly stated on my CV. We are just using ‘my location’ which could be anywhere!)
Okay, can you tell me what the work is? Steel? General Haulage? Supermarkets? RDC drops? Containers?
Yes. we have work.
Hmmm…tell you what mate, firm up what I’ll be paid and what sort of work it is and call me back.
email: …you not fill in form online. fill in form.
I was waiting for you to get back to me with pay pay rates and work details.
we have work

NOPE…

Riiinnngggg…

Hi, I’ve seen your CV online, you look like a perfect fit for our client.
Brilliant! what’s the rate of pay and what’s the work?
Well, you’ll be making two or three drops a day and it’s £120 a shift
Okay, so how many hours is that a day?
Oh, it’s usually 8 hours (smiley face)
You mean it’s booked as 8 hours?
No, it’s a shift rate
Okay, that’s interesting. So what am I paid after 8 hours?
It’s a shift rate so it’s still £120 but they hardly ever do over 12 hours
So is it a shift rate at 8 hours or a shift rate at 12 hours? That’s a huge difference on hourly pay as I’m sure you’re aware and what if I end up out for 15 hours?
You’re a new pass. It doesn’t really matter. It’s a shift rate.
So if I end up out for 15 hours doesn’t that send me under minimum wage which is illegal?
No, because it’s a shift rate.
I really don’t fancy working for less than minimum wage.
Well, it’s the traffic you see. The company can’t do anything about you being caught in traffic.
Yeah, and neither can I. But I’m still working aren’t I?
I don’t think is a job for you
Neither do I. If you want to firm up the pay after the first 8 hours, feel free to get back to me.

RRRiiinnnggggg…

I saw your CV on CV Library.
Yep, that’s correct, how can I help you?
We’ve got class 2 work running out of the airport paying £12 an hour PAYE
Okay, that’s interesting, tell me more
They’ll send you through your class D airport thing. Work is ongoing. Monday to Friday 7am- 5pm
Okay, I’m interested. What do I do next
Whatsapp me your licence and bank details
Pardon?
Just Whatsapp me your licences and bank details
Eeerrrmmm…yeah, okay. Bye
As if I’d ever send my licences to an unknown cold calling mobile number!!

RRRrrriinnngggg…

Hi,is this Build5?
It is, who’s this?
Hi Build, my name’s Steve. I work for ■■■ agency and I’ve seen your CV. I’m aware you’re a new pass, but we may have a client interested in you. It’s only until Christmas but it might give you some basic experience to put on your licence and hours on your card. It’s only RDC to RDC. It’s £12 an hour. PAYE. weekly pay. Job finishes Christmas Eve.
That sounds really interesting. You’re aware I don’t work weekends?
Of course, I read your CV, you’re available Monday to Friday and flexible on start/finish times
Hmmm…he’s actually read my CV.
Can you start Monday morning?
Monday is going to be really tricky for me. Can we say Tuesday morning? I can do Monday at a push, but Tuesday works better for me?
Tuesday is fine. We’ve got a guy that does weekends and he’ll do Monday for sure
Can I ask who’s it for and where is it?
Yep, it’s in Trafford Park and it’s working XXXX and their postcode is ■■■ I’m guessing that’s quite close to you because I only 5 miles away from your house.
Wow! this guy really did read my CV!!
I’m going to send you a link to our website. If you can fill in the details I’ll get back to you on Monday morning for a start on Tuesday.
Checked the company out on gov.uk before filling the form in. They’re registered.
I know the company he mentioned. Decent sort of firm. They definitely do take new passes. Part of a larger group. Lots of RDC to RDC work.

If anything this is just a heads up to some of the stupid offers and potential scams you’re going to be exposed to by posting up your CV online. BE VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU GIVE YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS TO!

Oh the joys I have waiting for me once I pass :laughing: :laughing:

I passed on the Thursday, interview Friday, started Monday on supermarket work. I’d been reading on here about how hard it was to get a job and got one straight away

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:
I passed on the Thursday, interview Friday, started Monday on supermarket work. I’d been reading on here about how hard it was to get a job and got one straight away

I wasn’t saying it’s hard to find work, I was just mentioning how many fakers and scammers there are out there. Lots of agencies seem to contact you to fill in a form to bulk up their drivers. There really isn’t a job and certainly not at the pay rates they suggest. I’m betting you’re not on £18.59 an hour?

I’m guessing you didn’t put your CV up online?

I was giving my experience of putting my CV up on a well known and reputable site and my experience.

I stand by what I said. BE VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU GIVE YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS TO.

You also have ‘right to ersaure’ if you think the angency won’t find you work or if you’ve found work - gov.uk/government/publicati … Fprocessed

There’s no point leaving your licence, bank details, national insurance number floating about if it’s not going to get you work.

Close everything that isn’t being used to stay safe.

Build5:

stuwozere1:

I wasn’t saying it’s hard to find work, I was just mentioning how many fakers and scammers there are out there. Lots of agencies seem to contact you to fill in a form to bulk up their drivers. There really isn’t a job and certainly not at the pay rates they suggest. I’m betting you’re not on £18.59 an hour?

I’m guessing you didn’t put your CV up online?

I was giving my experience of putting my CV up on a well known and reputable site and my experience.

I stand by what I said. BE VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU GIVE YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS TO.

You also have ‘right to ersaure’ if you think the angency won’t find you work or if you’ve found work - gov.uk/government/publicati … Fprocessed

There’s no point leaving your licence, bank details, national insurance number floating about if it’s not going to get you work.

Close everything that isn’t being used to stay safe.

I’m on £16.75 an hour plus overtime

Honestly had pretty much the same experiences as yourself with agencies cold calling .

Ah, yes. “Let us know 3 dates and times which are good for you for an interview”

Well, to do that. I need to see how long it takes me to get to you, which is difficult as you have no postal address apart from that drop box address in London which I have seen advertised as register here, collect your mail here.

So, thinks me, I’ve not got a phd in Astrophysics but after a week’s work, if you decide to disappear then I won’t get paid and there’s nowhere to go to to seek my wages, Hmmm, do you do holidays…?

The number of companies out there who are working out of their own toilet or from a table in McDonalds is increasing since lockdown.

It’s so easy to re-advertise a job, direct it to your phone, applicants phone you, you send them to work, client pays you, you’ve got now £700 in the bank and change your mobile phone, easy peasey.

If there ain’t a postal address there ain’t a pay packet.

Since big people like phone companies and banks etc have been working from home due to Corona Virus now everyone is trying it on, and without a postal address there is no way you can tell between a bona-fide company and a criminal set up.