Satnav speed limit

Hi All,

I’m looking at getting a new sat nav. Either Garmin LGV770 or TomTom 6250 pro.

My question is: Suppose I start my journey in Peterhead (Scotland) and finish in Hull (and assuming I’ve set up the satnav with my truck details correctly) will either of the above units calculate an arrival time based on the actual speed limits applicable to the two countries? I can’t find any info about this on either manufacturers sites (guess that’s not surprising :unamused: ) so I’m guessing it won’t increase the trip time for the Scottish leg …

Ta,
Ken

Morning Ken,

I don’t have a Garmin so cannot comment, but I do have the TomTom you refer to and can tell you that this does account for the speed limit difference and so your estimated time of arrival is a true reflection.

I hope this helps.

Bryn

I have set my max speed to 54mph on my tomtom pro, even though my vehicle does 56mph, gives a bit of leeway with arrival time for the inevitable phone call from the office when asked “when you gonna get there”

Regarding actual road speed limits, the tomtom does tell me what the speed limit is on any particular road and consequently adjusts the arrival time due to the varying speed limits.
(Not sure about Scotlands 40mph on single carriageways)

On the Garmin you can set your maximum speed (incase you’re in one of these limited to 52mph). It also knows the speed limits for every road, widths, heights etc. You can set profiles for multiple vehicles, eg if you pull different trailers or different load heights/widths. Whatever country you are in it knows the limits [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Good to know that at least the Tomtom knows what’s going on :laughing:

Whilst the 40mph on single carriageways is a pain, it’s the 50mph on the duellers that kills … as OBVIOUSLY, I wouldn’t be exceeding the posted limit … :wink:

Look forward to hearing from anyone with a Garmin :smiley:

@stuwozere1 Great, thanks - That sounds like I’ve got my answers!

Now to make my choice … :frowning:

Afaik tomtom will adjust the ETA according to the speed your traveling at irrespective of what speed peramiters you input in the device.

I’m more of a ‘It gets there when it does’’ kinda guy.
Try my best to be on time, but it goes on my ‘Couldn’t give a ■■■■’’ list if it doesn’t,.and I certainly don’t want to be put under any pressure by a ■■■■ sat nav. :sunglasses:

robroy:
Try my best to be on time, but it goes on my ‘Couldn’t give a [zb]’’ list if it doesn’t,.and I certainly don’t want to be put under any pressure by a [zb] sat nav. :sunglasses:

Same as that ^^^^

But it’s a handy bit of ammo to chuck back at the transport team when they say they expect me to be there at silly O’Clock :wink: Or to guess where I’ll be nestling doon for the night :smiley:

Dinny Ken:
Hi All,
I have a garmin hgv sat nav and the eta reflects the different speed limits when in Scotland if your doing 41mph on a single carriage way it says your speeding similar doing 51 on a dual , hope this helps
I’m looking at getting a new sat nav. Either Garmin LGV770 or TomTom 6250 pro.

My question is: Suppose I start my journey in Peterhead (Scotland) and finish in Hull (and assuming I’ve set up the satnav with my truck details correctly) will either of the above units calculate an arrival time based on the actual speed limits applicable to the two countries? I can’t find any info about this on either manufacturers sites (guess that’s not surprising :unamused: ) so I’m guessing it won’t increase the trip time for the Scottish leg …

Ta,
Ken

Thanks @Alant - Although It took me a while to work out why ya’d just reposted my question??

Then I saw you’d put your answer in my quote :confused:

Appreciate the info in any case :smiley:

Dinny Ken:

robroy:
Try my best to be on time, but it goes on my ‘Couldn’t give a [zb]’’ list if it doesn’t,.and I certainly don’t want to be put under any pressure by a [zb] sat nav. :sunglasses:

Same as that ^^^^

But it’s a handy bit of ammo to chuck back at the transport team when they say they expect me to be there at silly O’Clock :wink: Or to guess where I’ll be nestling doon for the night :smiley:

:smiley: …Like your style. :laughing:

Dinny Ken:
Thanks @Alant - Although It took me a while to work out why ya’d just reposted my question??

Then I saw you’d put your answer in my quote :confused:

Appreciate the info in any case :smiley:

Hoped you would work it out also the eta,s it gives are accurate to a couple of minutes unless you get incidents / accidents on route which is useful for route planning for breaks etc

Thanks @alant :slight_smile: Garmin has been ordered based on your written guarantee :open_mouth:

Updates will follow :wink: