Scania 2006 P series 5 cylinder 9 litre Low oil pressure

Good Morning Guys,

Im not if I have selected the section on this forum. Sorry If I havent.

We have Scania 2006 P series 5 cylinder 9 litre Low oil pressure warning light that comes on.

When you drive the vehicle to warm it up. Then when slowing down @2.2 Engine oil pressure the dash lights up red with the pressure in the bottom left corner and a warning low engine oil pressure. Once the engine speed is below 1000rpm the light goes out. Approx. 1.7bar pressure. Raise engine speed above 1000rpm light comes on. Continue raising engine speed once 2.3 bar is reached light goes out. When checking oil pressure with a manual gauge (in oil cooler chest tapping). It’s approx 1 bar higher than registered on the dash! Pressure sensor has been replaced & engine oil was changed in December last year.

We had been told that pressure is far too low & suggest we started with looking at the shells etc.
If this is the case The truck is scrap, I was wondering if there was any Scania Guru’s on here who may be able to point us in another direction (away from stripping the engine !)
Any help will be gratefully received

Thanks
Shaun

Just a suggestion…you might find that given the age of the truck, and the fact it’s an obsolete model, your local Scania agent would be happy to give you any advice on it over the phone.
Maybe not so much on a modern truck, as they will want the business themselves.
Just a thought mate, good luck with it.

Thanks - I am going to call them tomorrow, in the past I have found all they want to do it get the truck in & charge for the investigation time … I do get why. I will see how I get on. Thanks again

Robboboy:
Thanks - I am going to call them tomorrow, in the past I have found all they want to do it get the truck in & charge for the investigation time … I do get why. I will see how I get on. Thanks again

A guy I know restored an F10, and he’s always found the older fitters at the dealers very helpful with advice, he says they always want to talk about the old motors they were brought up on. :smiley: in a ‘‘Have you tried this or that’’ way…that’s what gave me the idea anyway.

Had a similar issue with a Daf 08 reg does still happen but like a yr apart ,change oil & filter remove & clean pressure relief valve and it’s fine for a long time .

Thanks Guys.

I will have alook at both your suggestions.

Really appreciate your help

There’s a simple and relatively cheap fix for this problem.
Call in any MSA fuel station or any car parts shop, buy a roll of black sticky tape, tear a square off it and place it over the warning light.
No need for thanks Rob, it’s Sunday and I’m feeling in a charitable mood.

You’ve done the pressure sensor for the oil pressure guage but have you done the oil pressure light switch? Warning lights on older vehicles are operated by a switch, not from the reading from the oil pressure guage like modern lorries do.

1. According to a ‘proper’ gauge it’s 1 bar higher than is being registered by the electrics.

2. If it’s the worse case scenario of knackered bottom end it’s scrap anyway it usually goes that if the shells are knackered the crankshaft will probably also need work.

Put 1 with 2 just keep running it and check the oil pressure regulary with the proper gauge.That will provide an indication of where its heading.
Assuming you don’t want the aggro of changing the shells in the hope that they are just worn and thereby preventing damage to the crank and saving the motor.

Let’s just say that a 15 year old 5 cylinder Scania probably isn’t exactly a piece of classic kit that is worth doing whatever it takes to keep it going.

Had a P series doing something similar a few years back, we traced it to the front rocker assembly coming loose, easy repair by removing side plates on the block to check, and if the bolts are loose we replaced the old bolts and used loctite on the new bolts, about six months later we had another which was doing the same but driver did not mention this until rocker shaft had broke, new shaft and some helicoils and it was as good as new.

It must be hard running 2nd hand older stuff. How much do I throw at it , but at least I don’t need to plug into a computer etc to fix it.

Just a suggestion here - but can you get a “second opinion” on the pressure measured by a manual pressure guage? ie Can you borrow another manual guage to confirm the readings of the one you are using?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk