Everyone back to work

Does anyone else think the country will be getting back to work bigtime next Monday? I feel as if this week was building towards something approaching the new normal… I realise some have worked all through and have kept the shelves full and I salute you all, thank you! Some of us were dumped on the sidelines and are gradually being brought back into the fold, so to speak. My lot do glass and after about a week where no one was in, we started up again and have gradually been doing more. Week before last we were up to 80% back to work. End of last week customers were not at all happy with one delivery a week and were wanting something every day. Next week will be full-on I reckon. I did one shift the week before last, two last week and will do three next week. But I think I’ll be asked to do more… pity the roads will be busier…

I would have thought so. From what I’ve seen, traffic levels seem to have gradually increased over the last month. Firms in my village and the surrounding area are starting to get back on the road. Let’s just hope the food places in MSA’s start opening up so we can get a decent lunch. As opposed to home made sarnies, or parking in precarious positions to access roadside burger vans.

But, on the adverse side of that I worry about the firms who are still parked up in June. Part of me thinks that companies who aren’t back on the road in the coming days will have serious trouble surviving.

But, on the adverse side of that I worry about the firms who are still parked up in June. Part of me thinks that companies who aren’t back on the road in the coming days will have serious trouble surviving.

Not looking too good at our place. Around 50 of us were furloughed at the end of March. None of us have been asked to go back yet and at the beginning of last week everyone got a letter stating redundancies will take place.
They’ve asked for voluntaries initially but out of 130 drivers at our depot I reckon they’ll be looking to let go around 40%.

apart from pubs . everything else is more or less open be it as a drive though or click and collect.
so obviously places will still want there stock delivering.
so id say business as normal more or less now.
weve been back in 2 weeks now last week was busier next week got few more jobs lined up so for us almost back to where we used to be really

tezza:
Not looking too good at our place. Around 50 of us were furloughed at the end of March. None of us have been asked to go back yet and at the beginning of last week everyone got a letter stating redundancies will take place.
They’ve asked for voluntaries initially but out of 130 drivers at our depot I reckon they’ll be looking to let go around 40%.

Yeah, I was talking to a driver in Hull who was saying a couple of firms on the other side of the Humber are making redundancies. Both Danish firms with North Lincolnshire bases. Sad times ahead.

tezza:

They never wanted their own drivers, they want the subbys and it looks like that’s the way it’s going.
Seen plenty of subbys pulling your trailers whilst your own drivers have been at home.

The longer people stay on furlough the less likely they will return to work, and as soon as employers have to pay a % of the furlough money the redundancy letters will be in the post.

Grumpy_old_trucker:
They never wanted their own drivers, they want the subbys and it looks like that’s the way it’s going.
Seen plenty of subbys pulling your trailers whilst your own drivers have been at home.

Well DUH. They didn’t want subbies, they were kind of cornered into it by the rules of the furlough scheme. Unless you furloughed your drivers for 3 weeks at a time the government didn’t pay the furlough money. So your only option if your main customers wanted goods moving but you didn’t have enough work to have drivers back anywhere near full time was to either use agency or to use subbies.

You only have to look at companies servicing the car manufacturing industry, most of these have announced job losses and plant closures.

So the number of trucks and drivers required will drop.

Pubs, restaurants, hotels, airports and airlines may take years (if every) to recover to pre-covid levels. Posted a picture elsewhere of 6x Virgin Atlantic 747’s currently at Manchester Airport awaiting de-commissioning and scrapping!

Conor:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Well DUH. They didn’t want subbies, they were kind of cornered into it by the rules of the furlough scheme. Unless you furloughed your drivers for 3 weeks at a time the government didn’t pay the furlough money. So your only option if your main customers wanted goods moving but you didn’t have enough work to have drivers back anywhere near full time was to either use agency or to use subbies.

I have absolutely no idea what you are rabbiting on about (I suspect you don’t either).
My post is specifically targeted at the company Tezza works for!
I know who he works for, I was there myself for 9 years.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Conor:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

I have absolutely no idea what you are rabbiting on about (I suspect you don’t either).

Spot on Grumpy. As you will know we don’t have any of our own drivers on the continent, they’re all subbies. This is the ideal time to get even more in the UK. Looks like I might be retiring 2 years earlier than I was going to. :neutral_face:

. Let’s just hope the food places in MSA’s start opening up so we can get a decent lunch. As opposed to home made sarnies, or parking in precarious positions to access roadside burger vans.

You’ve never eaten in a MSA Then !!

tezza:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Conor:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Spot on Grumpy. As you will know we don’t have any of our own drivers on the continent, they’re all subbies. This is the ideal time to get even more in the UK. Looks like I might be retiring 2 years earlier than I was going to. :neutral_face:

I guess your work in the evenings has dried up as well, or am I confusing you with another driver with a fine voice?

Must be someone else mate. I have a broad Lancashire accent :smiley: :smiley: . Been where I am since 2006.

Rottweiler22:
Let’s just hope the food places in MSA’s start opening up so we can get a decent lunch. As opposed to home made sarnies, or parking in precarious positions to access roadside burger vans.

MSA a decent lunch?? :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: …surely you can’t be serious mate.
Give me home made good sarnies any day over the overpriced crap they serve in those places, that’s including McDs and ■■■■ Burger King,…and as for roadside burger vans, :open_mouth: that is just admitting defeat.
I know of only 2 I would and do use, both opp sides of country, one in Hartlepool, one in Abington Oxon, both on a retail park, and both serving good quality roast meat rolls.
There are obviously more that I ain’t aware of, but most of them are unhygienic salmonella traps.

robroy:

Rottweiler22:
Let’s just hope the food places in MSA’s start opening up so we can get a decent lunch. As opposed to home made sarnies, or parking in precarious positions to access roadside burger vans.

MSA a decent lunch?? :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: …surely you can’t be serious mate.
Give me home made good sarnies any day over the overpriced crap they serve in those places, that’s including McDs and [zb] Burger King,…and as for roadside burger vans, :open_mouth: that is just admitting defeat.
I know of only 2 I would and do use, both opp sides of country, one in Hartlepool, one in Abington Oxon, both on a retail park, and both serving good quality roast meat rolls.
There are obviously more that I ain’t aware of, but most of them are unhygienic salmonella traps.

Fair enough, I wasn’t quite thinking straight. It’s Subways I miss. Big time. Back tramping then it’s home / cab made stuff all the way, decent prepared meals, and so on. Otherwise cost would be ridiculous. But on days I just like something every so often to fill a gap. I really do miss Subway.

Rottweiler22:

robroy:

Rottweiler22:

Give me home made good sarnies any day over the overpriced crap they serve in those places, that’s including McDs and [zb] Burger King,…and as for roadside burger vans, :open_mouth: that is just admitting defeat.

Fair enough, I wasn’t quite thinking straight. It’s Subways I miss. Big time. Back tramping then it’s home / cab made stuff all the way, decent prepared meals, and so on. Otherwise cost would be ridiculous. But on days I just like something every so often to fill a gap. I really do miss Subway.

Same here, but it’s parking somewhere decent and going out for a good pub meal that I miss, maybe after arranging to meet a mate.
I even found myself parked in a lay by the other night ffs :open_mouth: , no point looking to park near facilities as there ain’t any.