Motor transport mg

Just been looking through motor transport mag…lots of things for safety…in cab camera ect…no where was anyone wanting a cut in drive hours or weekly work hours.or conditions sleeping out ,parking ect.you would think that with CLOCS,FORS,AND A FEW OTHERS one would have thought in this day of safety one of them would have put forward a cut 15 down to 12…take us back to 1960s s

if they did that(perish the thought) then it would be great using all that free time to be able to park down at all the docks,red light areas,lorry parks and adjacent side streets sleeping in digs,and getting bladdered every night with various prozzies and enthusiastic amateurs in all the truckie pubs watching the strippers again.

dieseldog999:
if they did that(perish the thought) then it would be great using all that free time to be able to park down at all the docks,red light areas,lorry parks and adjacent side streets sleeping in digs,and getting bladdered every night with various prozzies and enthusiastic amateurs in all the truckie pubs watching the strippers again.

Oh, yes please!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dieseldog999:

That reminds me of nighting out in Southend.

sometimes you saved money doing a prozzy…though to be fair,there was sometimes a good breakfast if you got lucky with an amateur.

it always helped when on the prowl if you could happily trade the option of good looks for a complete lack of moral standards… :smiley:

fuse:
Just been looking through motor transport mag…lots of things for safety…in cab camera ect…no where was anyone wanting a cut in drive hours or weekly work hours.or conditions sleeping out ,parking ect.you would think that with CLOCS,FORS,AND A FEW OTHERS one would have thought in this day of safety one of them would have put forward a cut 15 down to 12…take us back to 1960s s

Simple answer to that, all the examples you give are gimmicks, lip service and ‘seeing to be doing the right thing’ schemes with no real substance…aka pure ■■■■■■■■ and b/s… :unamused:

As you say if ‘‘they’’ (the powers that be) , genuinely gave a ■■■■ about our welfare in terms of genuine Health and Safety, the ridiculous legal hours we are expected to work would be numero uno on the list.

robroy:

fuse:

Simple answer to that, all the examples you give are gimmicks, lip service and ‘seeing to be doing the right thing’ schemes with no real substance…aka pure ■■■■■■■■ and b/s… :roll

As you say if ‘‘they’’ (the powers that be) , genuinely gave a [zb] about our welfare in terms of genuine Health and Safety, the ridiculous legal hours we are expected to work would be numero uno on the list.

Just feeling like a devils advocate for a moment…

How many shop owners open up early doors, and close late at night. And they have to do their book keeping in their “time off”.

How many people work in factories, 12 hour shifts, doing the same soul destroying task, looking at the clock, and being told when, and exactly how short, to have a legal break or go to the toilet.

How many people work in offices, and are ‘expected’ to work through their lunch break (less your outer as “not a team player”, and loose your annual bonus…).

How many people work outdoors, in rain and crap, often on their knees, getting the harvest in?

How many people hate their job, with no alternative, or way out, and simply exist until they die?

How many people out there, working on ■■■■■■ short or zero hour contracts, not knowing wether they will earn enough next week (or month, year, or ever… ), to pay the rent or feed their family??

Stop whining. You can vote with your feet. Theresplenty of decent driving jobs out there (I’ve got one, and I’m considering moving across to another one. In South ■■■■■■■ Wales…) . And at least you are doing what you choose to do, and want to do.

Try handing in your notice tomorrow, and find a non driving job you like…

(Sorry Rob, nothing personal, it’s just you who brought it up. And yes, I do agree that facilities need to improve)

dieseldog999:

I like the sound of this

Anyone got a DeLorean because i fancy going back in time

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

fuse:

Simple answer to that, all the examples you give are gimmicks, lip service and ‘seeing to be doing the right thing’ schemes with no real substance…aka pure ■■■■■■■■ and b/s… :roll

As you say if ‘‘they’’ (the powers that be) , genuinely gave a [zb] about our welfare in terms of genuine Health and Safety, the ridiculous legal hours we are expected to work would be numero uno on the list.

How many shop owners open up early doors, and close late at night. And they have to do their book keeping in their “time off”.

How many people work in factories, 12 hour shifts, doing the same soul destroying task, looking at the clock, and being told when, and exactly how short, to have a legal break or go to the toilet.

How many people work in offices, and are ‘expected’ to work through their lunch break (less your outer as “not a team player”, and loose your annual bonus…).

How many people work outdoors, in rain and crap, often on their knees, getting the harvest in?

How many people hate their job, with no alternative, or way out, and simply exist until they die?

How many people out there, working on [zb] short or zero hour contracts, not knowing wether they will earn enough next week (or month, year, or ever… ), to pay the rent or feed their family??

Stop whining. You can vote with your feet. Theresplenty of decent driving jobs out there (I’ve got one, and I’m considering moving across to another one. In South [zb] Wales…) . And at least you are doing what you choose to do, and want to do.

(Sorry Rob, nothing personal, it’s just you who brought it up. And yes, I do agree that facilities need to improve)

:smiley:
Yep you’re right ND lots of jobs involve long hours…BUT.
My answer was purely and exclusively in the context of the o/p , …that context being SAFETY. ! :bulb: :bulb:

So we have guys, drivers of varying degrees of skill and ability, working in a comparatively stressful environment (ok I know it ain’t frontline Afghan, but stressful none the less) in excess of over 70 hours per week, (in lots of cases being pushed to do so every week) including some days at 15 hours with a break of 9 hours (sometimes consecutively) required by law, of REST NOT SLEEP :bulb: …, taken in varying environments of facilities varying from good to downright ■■■■ poor zero.

A job that includes taking 44 tonnes on busy roads alongside the same, and much more vulnerable vehicles and pedestrians.

Ok, that’s maybe an over dramatic description of the job yeh, but an accurate one.
So where are the usually very vocal H&S lobby, that we have to endure daily, mostly in cases when it suits them and when it is usually ott and derogatory to us■■?
I’ll tell you, nowhere to be seen because in reality they do not give a flying ■■■■, so our excess hours to health and safety ratio, is suitably ignored, until the next time somebody runs over a car or equal amount of disaster, …and only THEN are we suddenly described as ‘‘Professional drivers’’ (in a court of law) who should know better than to drive tired. :bulb: :bulb:

As for your examples of shop owners, factory workers, farmers, outdoor workers etc, they are complete different ball games, because afaik none of those occupations are legally regulated and as constantly monitored to make sure those regulations (in the guise of said ‘safety’) are strictly adhered to, as our job is. :bulb:

Btw ND I too now have a relatively and comparatively ‘decent’ driving job at the moment, 3 and a half to 4 days a week, because I FINALLY came to my senses after a lot of years of doing stupid bloody hours and wk.ends away, then I finally saw the industry and it’s format for what it is…both a complete crock of ■■■■ and a cluster ■■■■ of pseudo safety regulations to make it look acceptable.

So I’m not ‘whining’ mate, as you put it… just pointing out facts. :wink: :smiley:

I agree ROB ROY all I was pointing out was that they all go on about safety and conditions but never driver hours .It is looking at safety out one eye,you hit the nail on the head with the words lip service and I think they make more money out of it than the actual hauliers.People can say pack in if you do not like this is not the point mind you I think a lot have packed in .

fuse:
I agree ROB ROY all I was pointing out was that they all go on about safety and conditions but never driver hours .It is looking at safety out one eye,you hit the nail on the head with the words lip service and I think they make more money out of it than the actual hauliers.People can say pack in if you do not like this is not the point mind you I think a lot have packed in .

Way I see it is why should I pack in a job I once loved and have done most of my life, just because the goalposts have been moved.
Since overtime rates were lowered to the same rate of pay right through, many have no choice to work these stupid hours, just to meet their expenditure, so the limits are now looked upon as targets to many, in order to live.
If health and safety WAS actually real, it would have been sorted years ago, whereby hours would be brought in line to modern civilised conditions, and pay rates adjusted accordingly, but instead we are hit with…‘‘Prices will go up to compensate’’ but why should drivers have to subsidise prices by taking a relatively low wage, it’s about time that we also got a bite of the cherry, and about time that for us the health and safety concept either put up or shut up in terms of driver’s hours and t.s and c.s.
It will never happen, so until it does, we just have to try and make the best of it all individually for ourselves.

dieseldog999:
enthusiastic amateurs in all the truckie pubs watching the strippers again.

Sadly the last one standing in Hull closed some time ago.

Conor:

dieseldog999:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thankfully theres never been any real need for strippers and a red light area in hull as most of the available women are slappers anyway… :smiley:

Conor:

dieseldog999:

Sportsman?

robroy:

Conor:

dieseldog999:

Sportsman?

I’ll see your Sportsman and raise you an Earl De Grey!

Who started this frivolous post taking us back to the 60s indeed, i never got up to any mischief, let alone see any red lights, the only ones i saw were on the trailer in front of me, and that was only 27 ft long ha ha remember hitch hikers, the red lion and Headlights guide on where to get a back load ( thought that was rude at the time ) same as parking near the reeper bahn` or the fish market in Hamburg amongst other well known places where you could get a spliff and ogle the girls in the windows as you got stoned…no not me mister.!!

But your right Rob, any mention of an hours reduction and some moan at how much theyre gonna lose per week, as i have always said a 12 on 12 off would have been nice…but in my opinion, hours will increase before they decrease and it seems there’s not a lot of call for it mate, but lots of drivers up for the extra hours…glad i`m retired now.

same as parking near the reeper bahn or the fish market in Hamburg amongst other well known places where you could get a spliff and ogle the girls in the windows as you got stoned…no not me mister.!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

one plus point about herbertstrasse was that if you park at the fishmarket,then at least its downhill all the way back to the cab when your blocked.

robroy:

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

fuse:

How many people out there, working on [zb] short or zero hour contracts, not knowing wether they will earn enough next week (or month, year, or ever… ), to pay the rent or feed their family??

Stop whining. You can vote with your feet. Theresplenty of decent driving jobs out there (I’ve got one, and I’m considering moving across to another one. In South [zb] Wales…) . And at least you are doing what you choose to do, and want to do.

:smiley:
Yep you’re right ND lots of jobs involve long hours…BUT.
My answer was purely and exclusively in the context of the o/p , …that context being SAFETY. ! :bulb: :bulb:

So we have guys, drivers of varying degrees of skill and ability, working in a comparatively stressful environment (ok I know it ain’t frontline Afghan, but stressful none the less) in excess of over 70 hours per week, (in lots of cases being pushed to do so every week) including some days at 15 hours with a break of 9 hours (sometimes consecutively) required by law, of REST NOT SLEEP :bulb: …, taken in varying environments of facilities varying from good to downright ■■■■ poor zero.

A job that includes taking 44 tonnes on busy roads alongside the same, and much more vulnerable vehicles and pedestrians.

Ok, that’s maybe an over dramatic description of the job yeh, but an accurate one.
So where are the usually very vocal H&S lobby, that we have to endure daily, mostly in cases when it suits them and when it is usually ott and derogatory to us■■?
I’ll tell you, nowhere to be seen because in reality they do not give a flying [zb], so our excess hours to health and safety ratio, is suitably ignored, until the next time somebody runs over a car or equal amount of disaster, …and only THEN are we suddenly described as ‘‘Professional drivers’’ (in a court of law) who should know better than to drive tired. :bulb: :bulb:

As for your examples of shop owners, factory workers, farmers, outdoor workers etc, they are complete different ball games, because afaik none of those occupations are legally regulated and as constantly monitored to make sure those regulations (in the guise of said ‘safety’) are strictly adhered to, as our job is. :bulb:

Btw ND I too now have a relatively and comparatively ‘decent’ driving job at the moment, 3 and a half to 4 days a week, because I FINALLY came to my senses after a lot of years of doing stupid bloody hours and wk.ends away, then I finally saw the industry and it’s format for what it is…both a complete crock of [zb] and a cluster [zb] of pseudo safety regulations to make it look acceptable.

So I’m not ‘whining’ mate, as you put it… just pointing out facts. :wink: :smiley:

Glad you didn’t take my reply too personal Rob :sunglasses: . It’s a fine line, because what is ok for one driver, is totally unacceptable for another. How many drivers would not dream of doing a night out, prefering to commute every day? Good for them, but not for me (or you :wink: ). Some drivers are ok with sleeping in road side laybys, being rocked and buffeted by every passing vehicle, good for them, but ot for me. Me, I can live a few days basic, having just a strip wash (living on a boat does that to you… :grimacing: ), others must have a shower at all cost.

The bottom line is, there must be more, accessible and free or affordable, facilities for drivers. I think one problem here is, that people expect such facilities to be free. But if you want showers a d toilets that get cleaned very regularly, it takes a person to do that constant cleaning. On the continent (well, I know about Germany and the Benelux), you are expected to pay when you use toilets, either with the old “honesty” saucer by the entrance, or by coin entry system. Everybody accepts that, because that is for the person you see busying around, keeping the place clean.

I glad you’ve joined the “part-time” crew, you’ll be amazed how quick you go from “wow, how much time off?” to “what, back tomorrow already, what happened to the last four days…” :grimacing:

Yep I know, since I had longer weekends off, it just makes it so much harder to start back in after it …anybody would think my heart ain’t in it any longer, and I didn’t want to go. :laughing:

:grimacing:

robroy:
Yep I know, since I had longer weekends off, it just makes it so much harder to start back in after it …anybody would think my heart ain’t in it any longer, and I didn’t want to go. :laughing:

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Ahh, you’re a lost cause now…

(Next your beter half will start hinting about fishing rods or golf clubs…)