Wheel nuts - alloy wheels. (Update)

I have some factory fitted alloy wheels on my TGX, complete with wheel nuts with a collar apparently to help the nuts seat against the alloy.

I don’t suppose anyone knows the diameter of the collar? I was given some doughnut style wheel trims for xmas and when I went down to the local Euromaster to have them fitted, the tyre guy explained that the trims were for steel wheels, and that the bracket holes would have to be enlarged to accommodate the collar on my wheel nuts. I just need to know the diameter to enlarge the hole to if anyone just happens to know?

Talking of nuts, I see there’s a few new user names on trucknet so thought I’d repost a link, showing how a girl in a mini skirt can help you if your nuts get stiff. :smiley: Someone may find the info on her ‘nut cracker’ useful. She’s not a patch on Angelica Larsson though.

youtu.be/uribk1Yha6M

Sounds like you have retro fit wheels and nuts ,the trims are for aluminium or steel wheels .

I wouldn’t bother making the holes bigger unless you have a miller as if you use a step drill or cone you will need to be very careful or the trims will go round ■■■■■■ up when fitted but you wont see it just others going past will .

Punchy Dan:
Sounds like you have retro fit wheels and nuts ,the trims are for aluminium or steel wheels .

I wouldn’t bother making the holes bigger unless you have a miller as if you use a step drill or cone you will need to be very careful or the trims will go round ■■■■■■ up when fitted but you wont see it just others going past will .

Thanks for the info. I’m hoping a local metal work company may have a machine good enough to enlarge the hole. Otherwise, a pair of black wheel trims going cheap if anyone is interested? Need to come to Holland to collect though. :smiley:

citycat:
I have some factory fitted alloy wheels on my TGX, complete with wheel nuts with a collar apparently to help the nuts seat against the alloy.

I don’t suppose anyone knows the diameter of the collar? I was given some doughnut style wheel trims for xmas and when I went down to the local Euromaster to have them fitted, the tyre guy explained that the trims were for steel wheels, and that the bracket holes would have to be enlarged to accommodate the collar on my wheel nuts. I just need to know the diameter to enlarge the hole to if anyone just happens to know?

Talking of nuts, I see there’s a few new user names on trucknet so thought I’d repost a link, showing how a girl in a mini skirt can help you if your nuts get stiff. :smiley: Someone may find the info on her ‘nut cracker’ useful. She’s not a patch on Angelica Larsson though.

youtu.be/uribk1Yha6M

They must be really good ones if so better get it done right

Take off the relevant nuts, get a mate to hold trim square to studs and wack hard with a sledge hammer (the trim not your mate :smiley: ). Least that’s how we did back in the day when you bent a step ring on an Atki!

citycat:

youtu.be/uribk1Yha6M

I hope you’re not knocking our Aussie Sheilas. :wink:

the sleeve on the alloy wheelnut is 30 mm in diameter, the hole in the wheel trim needs to be 32mm.

Star down under.:

citycat:

youtu.be/uribk1Yha6M

I hope you’re not knocking our Aussie Sheilas. :wink:

I wouldn’t dream of it. You have some very nice ones, and they’re handy with a set of tools when my coach broke down in Austria.

tc trans:
the sleeve on the alloy wheelnut is 30 mm in diameter, the hole in the wheel trim needs to be 32mm.

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like you have short studs which use a countersink in the wheel and a nut with a short sleeve on it, also known as a retro fit as you can fit them on hubs that previously had steel wheels on.
So therefore the sleeve on the nut wont go through the hole in the trim.
Two options. One - Wang the nut up with a big air gun and force it through the hole, which is the option most tyre fitters use.
Second option, which is the one I use - use a cone cutter to increase the diameter of the hole in the trim so it will allow the nut sleeve to pass through. If done carefully you won’t damage the trim bracket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coiler:
Sounds like you have short studs which use a countersink in the wheel and a nut with a short sleeve on it, also known as a retro fit as you can fit them on hubs that previously had steel wheels on.
Two options. One - Wang the nut up with a big air gun and force it through the hole, which is the option most tyre fitters use.
Second option, which is the one I use - use a cone cutter to increase the diameter of the hole in the trim so it will allow the nut sleeve to pass through. If done carefully you won’t damage the trim bracket.

Thanks for the response. The tyre fitter did indeed try option one and used his air gun to try and force it through the hole. Only because he didn’t notice at first that the hole was too small and became puzzled why the nuts weren’t tightening up. It was only then he noticed and told me the bad news.

So it’s option two hopefully. You too reckon 32mm should do it? I shall update the thread if I manage to get the trims on.

citycat:

coiler:

Thanks for the response. The tyre fitter did indeed try option one and used his air gun to try and force it through the hole. Only because he didn’t notice at first that the hole was too small and became puzzled why the nuts weren’t tightening up. It was only then he noticed and told me the bad news.

So it’s option two hopefully. You too reckon 32mm should do it? I shall update the thread if I manage to get the trims on.

I’ve never measured it, I just make it larger until the nut easily goes through, thats why I use a cone cutter.

Just for anybody who is slightly interested.

As the lockdown has eased, I’ve managed to get my doughnut wheeltrims finally fitted. It gives my bog standard unit a little bit something that was missing. It looks smarter when coupled up to the black trailer.

Thanks to my kids for pooling their pocket money to buy them for my xmas present.

And bedankt to the Euromaster NL tyre fitter, who put them on and politely but firmly refused my several attempts to bung him a few euros for his time.

Try cleaning those alloys once a year, state of them is shocking.

TheUncaringCowboy:
Try cleaning those alloys once a year, state of them is shocking.

Errrr, I do clean them, regularly, but my brake pads unfortunately throw out a lot of dust. Thanks anyway for the critique.