Licence, one out, one in?

With the constant increase in traffic, which is by all accounts unsustainable, is there a case to be made for a “one out, one in” system, where a new driving licence can only be issued when an existing licence holder hands his/hers back?

Discuss…

the nodding donkey:
With the constant increase in traffic, which is by all accounts unsustainable, is there a case to be made for a “one out, one in” system, where a new driving licence can only be issued when an existing licence holder hands his/hers back?

Discuss…

For every one issued there are probably more people with licences who die every day
Sorted

they could always make the driving test on a par with several european countries where its exceedingly hard to pass due to the level of competency required…not a bad thing,or,close the borders,and sling out anything illegal till the numbers tally up again,

the nodding donkey:

Discuss…

Great idea! I can see the replies now , selfish greedy pensioners refuse to give up their licences :laughing: :laughing: without a cash incentive :imp: :imp: We could even supplement our already generous :unamused: :unamused: pensions with a licence lottery!!
Regards Kev.

dieseldog999:
they could always make the driving test on a par with several european countries where its exceedingly hard to pass due to the level of competency required…not a bad thing,or,close the borders,and sling out anything illegal till the numbers tally up again,

Right on the test and no if’s, but’s or maybe’s, close the borders.

So the tourists ie flopflops are to blame now for the traffic

the nodding donkey:

Discuss…

Apply the same principle to the increasing world population?
If you want a child you must kill off one of your parents first.

Franglais:

the nodding donkey:

Discuss…

Apply the same principle to the increasing world population?
If you want a child you must kill off one of your parents first.

Interesting concept :sunglasses: .
Although the basic idea would eventually be necessary.

dieseldog999:

One of your most sensible posts ever DD. Great idea but let’s also get current license holders re tested as well then we definitely would have a driver shortage. :laughing:

Harder driving test?
Hmmm?
Maybe a psychiatric assessment too?
I reckon there’d be about half a dozen licence holders left if all the loons were weeded out.

Franglais:
Harder driving test?
Hmmm?
Maybe a psychiatric assessment too?
I reckon there’d be about half a dozen licence holders left if all the loons were weeded out.

I fear your estimate is overly optimistic…

You want cars off the road.
Run more busses trams etc. And.make them free or very cheap.
I live in south Manchester near the airport.
Work.in Trafford park

Where I live was once the biggest housing estate in Europe .
Trafford park is maybe one of the biggest employment areas in the area…
Yet you try get there by public transport not a chance.

No direct routes. We have the metrolink but only goes to Manchester city centre. Same as the buses

Now if they had public transport that went direct am sure it would take a few cars off the road.

Now Logan’s run had the right idea , get to 30 years old and that’s it
bing.com/videos/search?q=Lo … 3dModerate

Why not use the Chinese idealism, and have 1 license families

peirre:
Why not use the Chinese idealism, and have 1 license families

Looks a good idea.
Their enforcement may not be…to our taste, but the principle? Fine.

blue estate:

Now that would create a driver shortage. :laughing:

blue estate:

Jenny Agutter in her mini dress I remember that film she was as Fit as ■■■■ :smiley:

VOLSCADAF:

blue estate:

Jenny Agutter in her mini dress I remember that film she was as Fit as [zb] :smiley:

She also appeared in another film - Walkabout - a few years earlier when she revealed rather more. As you say, Fit as ■■■■.

Bigtruck3:

the nodding donkey:

Discuss…

For every one issued there are probably more people with licences who die every day
Sorted

DVLA issue around 800k “first application” provisionals every year. The UK death rate is rather less than that (around 600k per year) - and not all of them hold licences.

Roymondo:

Bigtruck3:

the nodding donkey:

Discuss…

Sorted

DVLA issue around 800k “first application” provisionals every year. The UK death rate is rather less than that (around 600k per year) - and not all of them hold licences.

How many hold a licence in the UK but do not drive in the UK, myself and my wife have a UK licence but live in Australia so that is 2 obsolete licence’s but are still valid on the UK roads.