Holiday-use it or lose it by the end of the year

Alright all the agencies/companies I’ve worked for before had a policy of use it or lose it but until the end of the financial year, April. This time I found out I had to use it before the end of the calendar year, December…Kinda ■■■■■■ off as I have no plans for a holiday before January when there will be no work anyway. Is this a new thing or just the agency being ■■■■■■■■■■ I’m going to speak to them and ask them to let me work through my holiday and pay it parallel to my regular wages, if they decline I’ll be VERY ■■■■■■ :frowning:

I’m fairly certain that legally you must have holiday at some point, but it’s up to an employer to decide how the holiday year runs. Mike is April to April, the wifes is January to January.

In short I’m not sure if paying parallel is permitted. I know my old place you had to take 20 days leave but any more (lieu days etc) they’d pay it as test day work.

toonsy:
In short I’m not sure if paying parallel is permitted. I know my old place you had to take 20 days leave but any more (lieu days etc) they’d pay it as test day work.

You’re probably right. Last agency was using a ‘pay company’ (whatever it means) and was setting aside 12% (or so) from my earnings as PAYE for holiday pay so I was able to get my pot on demand pretty much every Friday if I wanted to. This one however said I have 9 days (as opposed to the previous one who was quoting an amount of £££ I had available) and my pay comes from the agency directly.

I was trying to use a day here and a day there when they’d cancel a shift but they said they need 14 days notice before booking a holiday so that didn’t work either now I’m stuck with almost 10 days of literally nothing to do. Unless I can find some work through another agency for the same time period :smiling_imp:

Why would you not want to just take all the holiday your entitled to? Time off but still getting paid. Have some time of work!

Where I work get 20 days from.jan to jan
How ever your expected to save 3 days as we shut down from 24th until the 2nd.
Meaning in reality your only getting 17 days for the year.
Or take Xmas off unpaid and get 20 days.
Me personally I take the full 20 days off not fussed about losing a weeks pay over Xmas. As can soon make it back in overtime anyway.
I think holidays should be 25 days as 20 days isn’t enough really 4 weeks a year .

Rowley010:
Why would you not want to just take all the holiday your entitled to? Time off but still getting paid. Have some time of work!

+1… ■■■■ work take a week’s holiday.
Or if an agency driver is desperate to work that period, take the holiday with pay off the agency they work for, and work on another agency at the same time…win win.
It aint complicated.

I’ve just had 6 days off to use up the outstanding holidays I have with the agency. Ironically the pay rate was higher than that what they paid me while at work. To be doubly curtain that I’m having enough time off, I’m taking two more weeks off at Xmas without holiday pay and flying out to Cyprus on an all inclusive holiday. This will ensure that I won’t have to worry about getting up & going to work on Xmas day or Boxing Day and spoiling the festivities

Guess I better find out how much holiday I have left :grimacing:

I believe it’s due to the Working Time Directive, you can’t get paid for not taking holidays, I think to make sure everybody takes their entitlement.

I used to take holidays and do three days driving twice a year, but now have to take time unpaid, as company said I couldn’t work during paid Holidays.

Being on 4on-4off, I get so much time off anyway, I didnt realise I had 6 days left, until they were automatically paid out a few weeks ago, on top of my regular salary. (Our aholiday year starts from 1st november)

worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/ho … sed-annual

Rowley010:

I had 2 weeks off in June between jobs, the last month and a half I’ve been working 3-4 days (nights) out of 7 and I suspect January is going to be way worse. I was planning to use it for rainy days but alas. I’ll probably chase some of the spam-like emails I’m getting from other agencies see what’s out there for the next few weeks.

shullbit:
https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/hours-and-holidays/holidays/does-my-employer-have-let-me-carry-forward-my-unused-annual

Thanks for that.

Where I last worked I was only casually employed , this was through choice , it meant that I worked as much or as little as I wished .
The holidays system accrued much the same as agency work. The company paid the accrued holiday pay twice a year . End of June and at Christmas.
Due to nature of the work we could often max out permitted working time and get extra days because rest days taken away from home were on full pay ( we were paid on day rate ) . This could soon rack up the paid days and also the holiday paid days .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

edd1974:
I think holidays should be 25 days as 20 days isn’t enough really 4 weeks a year .

I had 10 weeks in 28 years. TBH, I never knew what to do with holidays, generally found them boring :blush:

edd1974:
How ever your expected to save 3 days as we shut down from 24th until the 2nd.
Meaning in reality your only getting 17 days for the year.
Or take Xmas off unpaid and get 20 days.
Me personally I take the full 20 days off not fussed about losing a weeks pay over Xmas. As can soon make it back in overtime anyway.

If i want more time i just don’t do any overtime

ETS:
Alright all the agencies/companies I’ve worked for before had a policy of use it or lose it but until the end of the financial year, April. This time I found out I had to use it before the end of the calendar year, December…Kinda ■■■■■■ off as I have no plans for a holiday before January when there will be no work anyway. Is this a new thing or just the agency being [zb]? I’m going to speak to them and ask them to let me work through my holiday and pay it parallel to my regular wages, if they decline I’ll be VERY ■■■■■■ :frowning:

Different companies run different holiday years. Some run Jan-Dec, others run April-March.

Legally they can’t let you work through your holidays until you’ve taken a minimum of 20 days or they’ll be in breach of the working time directive as the EU minimum under the directive is 20 days.

edd1974:

You actually get 28 days statutory paid holiday however 8 of those can be used to cover bank holidays leaving you 20 to book whenever. If you’re not getting bank holidays off paid then they’re breaking the law.