Competition for Road Haulage

It’s just been announced that a new multi million pound port is to be built in Leeds(Stourton)to connect with the Humber with the aim of taking lots of LGVs off the roads.An expert says that one barge can carry 17 truck loads off stuff.Success is guaranteed,surely!

Gidders:
It’s just been announced that a new multi million pound port is to be built in Leeds(Stourton)to connect with the Humber with the aim of taking lots of LGVs off the roads.An expert says that one barge can carry 17 truck loads off stuff.Success is guaranteed,surely!

Good for “just in time deliveries”.
Those fresh eggs will arrive just before they hatch.

Gidders:

Why not upgrade the railway? get at least a 100 containers on a train and be cheaper than building an in land port

Mazzer2:

Gidders:

Why not upgrade the railway? get at least a 100 containers on a train and be cheaper than building an in land port

Yep

if they can get back to horses pulling the barges then thatl be the perfect green answer,moreso if you can develop gas retaining nappies for the horses when they ■■■■.

Presumably, every business in Leeds who buys goods in, are directly attached to the port? Otherwise, how will goods get from there to final destination? Maybe replace one artic with eight or nine 7.5t, or a few dozen vans? Sounds like a huge environmental success to me [emoji23][emoji23][emoji3061]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spinonit:
Presumably, every business in Leeds who buys goods in, are directly attached to the port? Otherwise, how will goods get from there to final destination? Maybe replace one artic with eight or nine 7.5t, or a few dozen vans? Sounds like a huge environmental success to me [emoji23][emoji23][emoji3061]

But at least the air in Hull will be marginally cleaner :smiley:

Franglais:

Gidders:

Good for “just in time deliveries”.
Those fresh eggs will arrive just before they hatch.

As you probably have noticed on your side of ‘le tunnel’, barge traffic on the rivers and canals is very successful for large bulk transport, not so much for fresh eggs :grimacing: . Unfortunately, the rivers in this country, with very few and specific exceptions, are not suitable for craft large enough to make this viable. As for the (200 year old)canals, they can only take vessels carrying a max of 20 tons, and only here and there where the (lack of)maintenance hasn’t reduced them to stilted up drainage ditches, or linear mooring sites.

Even the tanker transport on the Humber has seized.

This is another pipe dream by CRT, as it was a pipe dream by British Waterways.

London gets £18bn crossrail, the north gets a canal and barge. Go figure.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-50172317

A cheaper and easier way to get freight out of hull.

Yep you’re right that relatively low value goods especially can be transported by barge etc quite efficiently.
Valuable stuff ties up too much capital in “goods in transit”. Stuff on a barge has already had labour etc invested in it, but until it arrives has generated no revenue.
This is part of the “just in time” philosophy. No need for warehousing giving savings, offsetting the extra costs on inefficiencies in using quick road transport…
Build more warehousing, improve canals and railways. Means more employment for construction industry and storage opportunities and a booming economy for all.
Digging holes in clay pits, to make bricks for canal tunnel linings, will keep the unemployed busy too.
Know anyone who does cheap printing rates for manifestos?

Franglais:
Know anyone who does cheap printing rates for manifestos?

Just do what the main political parties do and write your manifesto on the back of a ■■■ packet

Canal from Hull to Leeds then road from Leeds to Tossco’s Goole. You know it makes sense :smiley:

You guys are so cynical.

I have always thought the waterways of the UK have been underutilised.
Granted they are limited in what they can be used for but still. A lot of wasted potential.

adam277:
You guys are so cynical.

Granted they are limited in what they can be used for but still. A lot of wasted potential.

Only a very few of the northern waterways have sufficient gauge to make freight traffic viable. There is no north-south route which can accommodate boats over 7’ wide.

adam277:
You guys are so cynical.

Fishing!

Beau Nydel:
Canal from Hull to Leeds then road from Leeds to Tossco’s Goole. You know it makes sense :smiley:

You say that but a large part of transportation is woefully inefficient.

Last week I set off from Rugby, dud some bits around Portsmouth/Southampton before backloading out of Southampton for Rugby.

Seems fine so far?

Except when I got there the stuff was being unloaded off a Carlsberg wagon which had come from Northampton (25 miles from Rugby) to deliver it to Southampton fr it to be put straight on me to take it back past Northampton again.

Leeds to Goole is a walk round the block by comparison :laughing:

Some goods that are not time sensitive could be taken closer to the point of use by ship or rail obviously the final leg has to be road transport. I heard about a firm saying they used produce from local growers but they didn’t mention that it was grown in Central Scotland trucked down to Manchester to be wrapped in cellophane then trucked back. What would Greta say about that.?

alamcculloch:
Some goods that are not time sensitive could be taken closer to the point of use by ship or rail obviously the final leg has to be road transport. I heard about a firm saying they used produce from local growers but they didn’t mention that it was grown in Central Scotland trucked down to Manchester to be wrapped in cellophane then trucked back. What would Greta say about that.?

Probably not your killing me. Your literally killing me and all the kids of the world!

Here is a link to a French site. A few pictures say it all.
eaufrance.fr/le-transport-f … t-maritime
Those are barges, not narrow boats. There is a well used waterway from Le Havre container port into Gennevilliers, Paris.
And here at Lyon Terminal, container and Kangaroo interchange for Road/Rail/Barge. Just click on the photo gallery.
lyon-terminal.fr/#home
Whole different ballgame.