#####phone users - read this####

DVSA are going to get you…
twitter.com/DVSAgovuk/status/11 … 01184?s=20

Crusaderrr:

Well according to that the driver should be ok as they say they are going after Heavy Goods Vehicles on their phone no mention of the drivers :smiley: :smiley:

I’m not a twitter user, so I should be safe…

Reading the article it has nothing to do with drivers’ phone usage, but one of the points in the article intrigues me:

• “access to ANPR recognitions to validate drivers hours records”

Anyone have any idea how this would work? The only way that leaps to mind is trucks arriving at ferry ports being tracked later in the day, but any other possibilities?

tallyman:
Reading the article it has nothing to do with drivers’ phone usage, but one of the points in the article intrigues me:

Anyone have any idea how this would work? The only way that leaps to mind is trucks arriving at ferry ports being tracked later in the day, but any other possibilities?

Only way I can think is if the trucks a new one with bluetooth tacho in it.
They are real read an article about in in a truck magazine.
Not sure how they work .
as surely if they want to pair to your tacho be like a phone have to input a pin number and allow access to it?

They will match your anpr map to your tacho trace I assume and see that they match.

Crusaderrr:

The DVSA officer has an app on their phone, with information about the truck you are driving/their looking at, MOT test, insurance, outstanding prohibitions and so on.

scrolling down the post and seeing vosa posing at the manchester gay pride parade just makes my day… :slight_smile:

What if you’re calling on the bluetooth?

Where have you been the last few years the digital tec was always in the pipeline to be accessed by the law
Even when you’re moving, enter reg and they will have full access to everything
It’s not fully there yet but it will be very soon

Some think they have it bad now with in cab facing cameras
You won’t believe what’s coming down the road

It’s instant access to anpr data basically to catch out the drivers who wind the clock on or back ect . :open_mouth:

Geoffo:

This is nothing to do with phone use. It’s an app DVSA can use to get all data about a driver and truck in one hit rather than manually searching several databases.

109LWB:

Geoffo:

This is nothing to do with phone use. It’s an app DVSA can use to get all data about a driver and truck in one hit rather than manually searching several databases.

It will tell them everything they need to know even more than your transport office can access

The full potential won’t be inforsed till all the time frame comes into force ( ie old trucks)
It will come to a stage where they just have to point a scanner at the truck not even the reg because the hot point is the digital tec that will tell them everything

It’s yet another example of the Big Brother Stazi esque modern UK.
Watch your every move to keep you in line to be ‘‘good citizens’’.
All this ■■■■ is getting ■■■■ worse and I hate it, wtf has happened to our country.

On the other hand on this specific latest venture, to catch bent drivers that is, I still can not believe that some drivers are sooo ■■■■ stupid to break driver’s hours rules in modern times today,…and this is coming from the guy who habitually flaunted them in the 80s when it was just ‘‘The done thing’’ .

I would not dream of it today, mostly because I have no desire to experience the dubious delights offered in the showers of Durham nick :open_mouth:

If you are habitually breaking tacho rules today, wake up ffs… your boss is laughing his ■■■■ off at you risking your freedom licence and livliehood to make him more money. :bulb:

So having said that, it won’t affect me, so don’t give a toss tbh.

Personally thought this was a bit of a time-saver.

Our lot are on that Earned Recognition scheme, a ‘blue’ light on DVSAs OCRS system. Recently got randomly pulled into Beattock by cops. DVSA staff simply entered reg onto their little PDA and waved me straight back out. Was probably stationary for about 15-20 seconds. Works for me!

Earned recognition

You might be wondering how this all links in with the earned recognition scheme.

So, being on earned recognition doesn’t mean your vehicle won’t ever be pulled in – it’s just much less likely. It can happen if the vehicle is obviously dangerous or it can still happen as part of a random check.

If an earned recognition operator’s vehicle is pulled over at random, our staff will scan the vehicle with the app.

The app will then show that it belongs to an earned recognition operator’s vehicle and they’ll be sent on their way unless there’s an obvious problem with the vehicle or driver.

It’ll all take much less time than it would have done before they had the app.

robroy:
It’s yet another example of the Big Brother Stazi esque modern UK.
Watch your every move to keep you in line to be ‘‘good citizens’’.
All this [zb] is getting [zb] worse and I hate it, wtf has happened to our country.

On the other hand on this specific latest venture, to catch bent drivers that is, I still can not believe that some drivers are sooo [zb] stupid to break driver’s hours rules in modern times today,…and this is coming from the guy who habitually flaunted them in the 80s when it was just ‘‘The done thing’’ .

I would not dream of it today, mostly because I have no desire to experience the dubious delights offered in the showers of Durham nick :open_mouth:

If you are habitually breaking tacho rules today, wake up ffs… your boss is laughing his ■■■■ off at you risking your freedom licence and livliehood to make him more money. :bulb:

So having said that, it won’t affect me, so don’t give a toss tbh.

I was the same, broke taco rules every day back in the day. It was just the done thing, now I get couple minor offences a year to sign off, you would be a total prat to run bent. The fines, loss of licence, possibly jail for what? few hours overtime, hardly worthwhile is it?

tallyman:

There is currently a nationwide system of ANPR cameras that record where you are normally used for law enforcement. It would be trivial to adapt the same system so you can locate where a truck was at any particular point in time. Not accurate enough to validate a 15/30/45 minute break to the minute but certainly accurate enough to prove it wasn’t possible to do the delivery you did at the time and place it was and get to where they stop you without running bent.

tallyman:

They can see where & when the truck was last recoded by the ANPR system. If you are at the other end of the country on a Monday morning when the tacho shows the truck was parked up for a weekend rest at the depot, then they know something’s amiss.