Wannabe driver in Liverpool

Hi guys,

I would appreciate if any of you could help with a few questions that I have.

I am considering the option of getting the class 2 license and later on, maybe get the class 1. I have contacted a few training companies and they all talk about an entry salary of 28,000 a year, loads of work and pretty much presenting a wonderful picture. It’s this true or it is just an exageration? Also what would you say is the amount of hours that you can get minimum and maximum per week. And lastly, if anyone works in the Liverpool area, could tell me how difficult is to find a job or how the situation is over that area?

Thank you all in advance!

Which training companies have said that to you - we need to know because it could be you are contacting brokers and not training schools

At the moment only 2. The first one was HGV driver training centre, and Easy as HGV.

Rodriguez70:
At the moment only 2. The first one was HGV driver training centre, and Easy as HGV.

BROKER - DO NOT ENGAGE

NEVER pay any money until you have visited the school - that will exclude just about every broker because they farm you out to the cheapest nearest school they can so they do not want you to engage directly with that school as you will probably find out that for the same money you get one day extra training by going direct

Thanks for the advice, would you recommend any school that operate in the Liverpool area?

Rodriguez70:
Thanks for the advice, would you recommend any school that operate in the Liverpool area?

Check out the link in my signature below :bulb:

Contact Peter Smythe Transport Training. You really can’t go wrong.

The whole setup is very very professional but relaxed and the training area at his premises are a godsend for reversing practice.

I’m from Cambridge and was struggling to find a really good training provider locally so after looking further afield for a training provider the one I kept going back to was peters. I really couldn’t find a single bad review and after talking to them on several occasions I booked up. I passed my C & C+E first time.

As for jobs, there are plenty of them about. Yes, lots ask for 2 + years experience but there are a lot that don’t. I start my new job (which is my first HGV job) at the beginning of September and the salary is 33k for an average 40hr week. Yes I can do more hrs and yes there may be some nights out. But it just goes to show there are good jobs out there for new drivers.

Once you’ve passed, get your CV done some boots and a high vis and go see some TM’s I think you’ll be surprised.

Lastly… Good Luck

I think you’d be lucky to start on 28k with no experience, presuming you will start work on class 2 first? I’ve not seen many class 2 for that that’ll take a newbie, but I’m job hunting in the West Midlands area. Don’t know whether the area makes a difference?

I’ve seen similar on the job sites advertising as ‘Trainee HGV driver wanted’ where they promise to train you, find work and then take affordable monthly payments once you’re employed. It all sounds too good to be true! Probably because it is.

I Googled training schools in my area and tried to find reviews on Google and Facebook if they have a page. I found one I liked the look of and then went to visit their office in person, see the vehicles and discuss the training, costs and when they could book me in, etc. They let me do a deposit to secure my dates and then pay the rest when I started training.

Definitely visit them in person, that way you can make your mind up whether you like the look of them or not.

Anyway, wishing you the best of luck on your journey to HGV!

Hayley

Sorry, my above wage quote is for class 1. I think 28k for a class 2 newbie might be a bit rich sadly.

You could try Chevron LGV Training in Bagillt, just off the A548 north of Flint. Have an assessment drive with at LEAST two different trainers before deciding which firm you choose to do your training with.

Like everyone else in this thread, NEVER, EVER TOUCH ANY BROKERS WITH A 10-FOOT BARGE POLE! They often go bust and then come back under a different name the following morning in another office across the street.

All the very best on the road to becoming a wagon driver!

Garbo. :smiley: :grimacing: