Robsons of Carlisle

Not a very clear picture but this is one of Robson’s of Carlisle that came to grief at Eamont Bridge one Sunday afternoon. It was pre-motorway days. The driver obviously came down Kemplay Bank a bit too rapid hoping to get a run at the sharp click up onto the bridge when all the traffic suddenly stop he had to take evasive action hence the result… (just south of Penrith, ■■■■■■■■

Looks like I’m first out the trap on this one…

Agency (or insecure load) :smiley:

Are my eyes deceiving me or is that a four-in-line trailer ? I can never recall seeing Robsons running 4 in-line trailers only single axles and tandems. But you learn something every day ! I’ve got to say though that was a ■■■■■■■ bit of road on the old A6 ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Are my eyes deceiving me or is that a four-in-line trailer ? I can never recall seeing Robsons running 4 in-line trailers only single axles and tandems. But you learn something every day ! I’ve got to say though that was a [zb] bit of road on the old A6 ! Cheers Bewick.

I don’t think those trailer wheels are in line now Dennis! :laughing: I thought that Robsons were virtually 100% Foden men but presumably they used Leyland/Albion products for their lighter traffic?

Pete.

windrush:

Bewick:
Are my eyes deceiving me or is that a four-in-line trailer ? I can never recall seeing Robsons running 4 in-line trailers only single axles and tandems. But you learn something every day ! I’ve got to say though that was a [zb] bit of road on the old A6 ! Cheers Bewick.

I don’t think those trailer wheels are in line now Dennis! :laughing: I thought that Robsons were virtually 100% Foden men but presumably they used Leyland/Albion products for their lighter traffic?

Pete.

Hiya Pete, Robsons sort of ran two fleets in the 50’s/60’s, the heavy stuff was all Foden but the on the lighter end it was mainly Traders that were both tractor units and 4 wheelers which ran a lot of Metal Box traffic. But they did have a few LAD Albions 4 and 6 wheeler and the odd unit as per the accident. They also had a number of permanent Subbies running in their livery which confused the issue a bit with a few Guy Warriors and Leyland Comets. Cheers Dennis.

Just ‘bumped up’ an existing Robsons thread. Here’s the link for future ref:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=94478&hilit=robsons+carlisle

Robert

Eamont Bridge was a nightmare sometimes with poor brakes. Full attention needed!

John.