Bus V bridge

It’s not just stobarts that hit bridges or are they ex stobart drivers?
This 1 is in Leicester 16 November
bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan … way-bridge

Sent using smoke signals

Here’s another.
This is in Bristol 2 November
bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan … way-bridge

Sent using smoke signals

§hit, ! that first clip is totally incredible. The driver was totally oblivious to his height. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: He made no attempt at all to slow down. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

pierrot 14:
§hit, ! that first clip is totally incredible. The driver was totally oblivious to his height. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: He made no attempt at all to slow down. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I know. They roam among us.

Sent using smoke signals

pierrot 14:

It was more than likely a single decker route and the driver was not used to having a decker … however, he should be sacked no excuse. Must be and
Ex truck driver,

One thing which baffles me is why it seems Network Rail can get the lines open really quickly or just slow the trains for a few minutes when buses hit. But a curtainsider causes hours of delays?

The second one they reported no significant delays and the first one i saw them say they only slowed trains for 20 mins. That bus looked like it was a lot more solid than a trailer so presumably more damage.

Maybe theres a UKBN site where they discuss how trucks seem to hit bridges too and what sat nav avoids low bridges. :slight_smile:

First bus Hampshire drivers have a history of hitting the same bridge in Portchester near Portsmouth :unamused: its at the station and is 11ft 9" They use the road to go to the local comprehensive school , but some times the single decker gets swapped for double decker :open_mouth:
itv.com/news/meridian/update … orchester/
portsmouth.co.uk/news/trave … -1-4226363

trevHCS:
One thing which baffles me is why it seems Network Rail can get the lines open really quickly or just slow the trains for a few minutes when buses hit. But a curtainsider causes hours of delays?

The second one they reported no significant delays and the first one i saw them say they only slowed trains for 20 mins. That bus looked like it was a lot more solid than a trailer so presumably more damage.

Maybe theres a UKBN site where they discuss how trucks seem to hit bridges too and what sat nav avoids low bridges. :slight_smile:

Had to go and search for BNUK but all I could find was The Bus Forum.
It’s mainly about bus drivers moaning about bus drivers and 1 thread about lorry drivers making deliveries in town centres.
Apart from that, it seems rubbish.
Nothing about bridge strikes in the last couple of months that I could find.

Sent using smoke signals

discoman:

pierrot 14:

It was more than likely a single decker route and the driver was not used to having a decker … however, he should be sacked no excuse. Must be and
Ex truck driver,

Why would a company (this is first isn’t it?) have a DD out on a single decker route though. Surely if they are putting a DD on and SD route it would be the first thing they’d check? This is why I don’t grt how service bus drivers can hit bridges because all the routes are planned by the company and the driver must stick to them. Road closed? They have to phone/radio base to see which way they want them to go.

This one just outside of City of Manchester is a magnet for busses (and other victims!)

Screenshot (113).png

DickyNick:

discoman:

pierrot 14:

Ex truck driver,

Why would a company (this is first isn’t it?) have a DD out on a single decker route though. Surely if they are putting a DD on and SD route it would be the first thing they’d check? This is why I don’t grt how service bus drivers can hit bridges because all the routes are planned by the company and the driver must stick to them. Road closed? They have to phone/radio base to see which way they want them to go.

Maybe because most of them didn’t grow up wanting to do that job, instead just responded to the ad on the back of one inviting anybody to “drive this bus”…

Driving a bus used to be a respectable job, nowadays I have as much respect for them as I have for minicabs - absolutely zero.

Drempels:

DickyNick:

discoman:

pierrot 14:

Ex truck driver,

Maybe because most of them didn’t grow up wanting to do that job, instead just responded to the ad on the back of one inviting anybody to “drive this bus”…

Driving a bus used to be a respectable job, nowadays I have as much respect for them as I have for minicabs - absolutely zero.

I tend to agree with you but it still is a respectable job let down by bad drivers but let’s be honest it’s the same with all categories of vehicles.
Is it lack of proper training or lack of responsibility by drivers?

I take it you don’t live in London :laughing:

I think it’s a lack of giving a toss, if you haven’t been motivated enough to pay for your own training, you’re unlikely to care about the “vocational” part of your licence.

Most of them seem to have very little interest in what they do. They could be working in a warehouse or a hospital, it would all be the same to them.

I know a few lads who drive coaches, totally different kettle of fish. They’re pro’s and do try their best. Good blokes too.

Drempels:

I think it’s a lack of giving a toss, if you haven’t been motivated enough to pay for your own training, you’re unlikely to care about the “vocational” part of your licence.

Most of them seem to have very little interest in what they do. They could be working in a warehouse or a hospital, it would all be the same to them.

I know a few lads who drive coaches, totally different kettle of fish. They’re pro’s and do try their best. Good blokes too.

No I don’t but I have done and still there on a fairly regular basis.I do know the way the london bus drivers get a licence and yes some probably take the job because they cannot get anything else which does not encourage professionalism at all however there are a lot of bus drivers who have driven coaches at some point and vice versa and at the end of the day it boils down to driver attitude.
I know a few coach drivers myself (me included) and like lorry drivers there are good and bad. Some take pride in what they do and follow the rules and others do exactly as they want and could not care less. Then there are the dozy ones who hit bridges. :open_mouth:

jakethesnake:

Drempels:

No I don’t but I have done and still there on a fairly regular basis.I do know the way the london bus drivers get a licence and yes some probably take the job because they cannot get anything else which does not encourage professionalism at all however there are a lot of bus drivers who have driven coaches at some point and vice versa and at the end of the day it boils down to driver attitude.
I know a few coach drivers myself (me included) and like lorry drivers there are good and bad. Some take pride in what they do and follow the rules and others do exactly as they want and could not care less. Then there are the dozy ones who hit bridges. :open_mouth:

Yes, I agree with that, but proportionally the amount of bus drivers not giving a toss is far higher than truck drivers in my experience.

Are bus driver canteens as bad as RDC waiting rooms for tall (sorry) stories? :smiley:

trevHCS:

My (bridge) industry insider has just confirmed there is no difference in protocol between a truck and a bus striking a bridge. The call is made, damage assessed, taken from there.

Bus companies have adequate insurance, with lorries they have to check if the driver has agreed to pay his own excess. [emoji23]

Drempels:

jakethesnake:

Drempels:

Yes, I agree with that, but proportionally the amount of bus drivers not giving a toss is far higher than truck drivers in my experience.

Are bus driver canteens as bad as RDC waiting rooms for tall (sorry) stories? :smiley:

Maybe a little biased there with your conclusion.

Quite possibly, but not because I’m a truck driver. I’m also a biker and I’ve been taken out by a bus, plus countless acts of stupidity by bus drivers towards me when I’ve been on my bike.

Never had a truck vs motorbike incident.

Why would a company (this is first isn’t it?) have a DD out on a single decker route though. Surely if they are putting a DD on and SD route it would be the first thing they’d check?

Got the reg number or fleet number 1 digit out and sent the wrong bus by accident?