Supervising Learner on 18t Horsebox

Good morning All,

I’m new and old so please bear with me.
I’m retired and occasionally use the said Horsebox (Taxed as Private HGV), so when I use my driver’s card I always start a new shift, abide by the 4.5hr/45min rule and set the TACHO to rest during the day when parked waiting to go home - easy.
Now comes the difficult part, my partner wants to practice driving the box, so have told her to apply for a provisional HGV licence & a Driver’s Card, and I have checked that I have held my Class C for over 3 years, informed my insurance company and ordered the L Plates.
I understand that my card goes into the No 2 slot and hers into No 1 slot whilst she’s driving, but what Manual Entries should I carry out with her card as she works in an office M-F 9-5?
(In simplistic terms I’ve worked out that she can practice up to midday on Saturday or from 2pm Sunday to abide by the 45hr weekly rest period each week)

Retirednewbie:
Good morning All,

I’m new and old so please bear with me.
I’m retired and occasionally use the said Horsebox (Taxed as Private HGV), so when I use my driver’s card I always start a new shift, abide by the 4.5hr/45min rule and set the TACHO to rest during the day when parked waiting to go home - easy.
Now comes the difficult part, my partner wants to practice driving the box, so have told her to apply for a provisional HGV licence & a Driver’s Card, and I have checked that I have held my Class C for over 3 years, informed my insurance company and ordered the L Plates.
I understand that my card goes into the No 2 slot and hers into No 1 slot whilst she’s driving, but what Manual Entries should I carry out with her card as she works in an office M-F 9-5?
(In simplistic terms I’ve worked out that she can practice up to midday on Saturday or from 2pm Sunday to abide by the 45hr weekly rest period each week)

A diary of her office work seems to be acceptable for DVSA
As slot 2 only records POA and you are doing other work then a manual record for that needs doing

A 45 only needs to be taken every other week but make sure any payback is caught up with in time if reducing the 45

Retirednewbie:
I’m … old…I’m retired…I have held my Class C for over 3 years

Are you over age 21 … mentally :question:
This is why I ask

my partner wants to practice driving the box

:unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Forgive me if i’m wrong but if your partner is under your instruction in a training vehicle i thought that was tacho exempt??
And if its a private HGV ,unless you are using it for hire or reward, again i thought that was tacho exempt?

Or is it just to make sure you are both covered when she pass’s her tests?

My understanding is that as the Box is over 7.5t, then I have to use the TACHO, but since it’s classed as ‘Private HGV’ and not for hire or reward & retired, then I don’t need to keep any records another than the memory on the Driver’s Card and in the Tacho.

In answer to Rog’s comment, mentally - probably not, but sometimes to keep the peace you just have to do as you’re told. In my defence she has been driving 7.5t for the last 20 odd years, so I’m hanging my hat on that!!

I forgot about the exemptions :blush:

If the LGV is empty and used for learner instruction then it is fully tacho exempt

I would select or write - out of scope - on any recording
Then perhaps a written explanation on a printout roll or analogue card

ROG:
I forgot about the exemptions :blush:

If the LGV is empty and used for learner instruction then it is fully tacho exempt

I would select or write - out of scope - on any recording
Then perhaps a written explanation on a printout roll or analogue card

Just set the tacho to out of scope surely?

That’s very interesting Rog about the exemptions, so although I’m only a Supervisor and not Qualified Instructor, then provided the box doesn’t have a horse in it then the learner would select ‘Out of Scope’ on the Driver’s card and I wouldn’t need to use my card in slot 2.
If we are transporting a horse(s) then both cards would need to be used?
One other question, if the Box was loaded, do I apply ‘Double Manning’ rules whilst acting as a Supervisor?

Retirednewbie:
That’s very interesting Rog about the exemptions, so although I’m only a Supervisor and not Qualified Instructor, then provided the box doesn’t have a horse in it then the learner would select ‘Out of Scope’ on the Driver’s card and I wouldn’t need to use my card in slot 2.
If we are transporting a horse(s) then both cards would need to be used?
One other question, if the Box was loaded, do I apply ‘Double Manning’ rules whilst acting as a Supervisor?

No legal need to be a qualified instructor

Out of scope = no need for any tachos

With a load such as a horse then full EU regs apply

You will never get to double manning regs when teaching

Thanks Rog for all your replies, I’m now confident of the way forward :smiley: