Any thoughts on this insecure load from yesterday?

Regional CVU working in the GMP area today inspect HGV find over 20 tonne of paper not strapped securely.

Driver issued with GFPN and vehicle prohibited until load made safe

I agree with them that the internals are not adequate for a heavy load, but there never seems to be any consistency from them on that front.

It has been known for a very long time, internal straps are not adequate for heavy load securing

But, why did the driver open the rear doors?

Unless dvsa have a valid reason, the driver can refuse to open the load area

shuttlespanker:
It has been known for a very long time, internal straps are not adequate for heavy load securing

Probably thought he was ok with all the internals in place.

Besides, if you went down that road of being awkward and the load wasn’t sealed, couldn’t that give them reason to believe it’s insecure? Not worth the hassle I shouldn’t think. Plus you would just give them motivation to dig out the extra fine tooth comb to find something else.

How far had he travelled before he got pulled?
You can contest their argument that it’s an insecure load if you’ve already covered a decent distance before being stopped without the load moving.
At least he’'s used internals which is better than none at all and shows that he’s trying to follow guidelines. Maybe he failed the attitude test!

I wonder if they would have seen it differently if the straps were crossed over the load.

shuttlespanker:

Anyone willing to expand on this?

I’m not saying you are wrong mate - you have certainly done more miles going backwards than I have done going forwards in my car.

It’s just that I have been carrying high value bonded loads and am just given a bit of paper saying before I open doors for the Police/DVSA that I need to confirm their ID. It’s got DVSA and Police logos on it so I assume it’s legit. But why give me that if I can simply refuse to open my doors?

sammym:

shuttlespanker:

I’m not saying you are wrong mate - you have certainly done more miles going backwards than I have done going forwards in my car.

It’s just that I have been carrying high value bonded loads and am just given a bit of paper saying before I open doors for the Police/DVSA that I need to confirm their ID. It’s got DVSA and Police logos on it so I assume it’s legit. But why give me that if I can simply refuse to open my doors?

I’d be interested if someone could expand on this as well with some official wording to back it up and not just an RDC rumour.

I know DVSA don’t have the power to search a vehicle. But I would take that to mean more a police style stop and search that they don’t have the power for. I thought they were allowed to check inside for the purpose of load security.

Well were i work we are told to use ratchets and straps on paper loads even waste paper that goes to shotton is done that way also.So i would still think its down to the company’s and dvsa and the police all having different views on it.

DickyNick:

sammym:

shuttlespanker:

I’d be interested if someone could expand on this as well with some official wording to back it up and not just an RDC rumour.

I know DVSA don’t have the power to search a vehicle. But I would take that to mean more a police style stop and search that they don’t have the power for. I thought they were allowed to check inside for the purpose of load security.

If the trailer is unsealed they can ask the driver to open it up.If its sealed then they need to seek permission to bust the seal to see inside.If its a bonded load then they cant do jack about.

that looks iike 20 more straps than id have on that myself.
perfect example of the lunatics running the asylum again…beancounters at their best.

dieseldog999:
perfect example of the lunatics running the asylum again…beancounters at their best.

Exactly. If that load is “insecure” thank ■■■■ I’m out of it now.

axletramp:

dieseldog999:

Exactly. If that load is “insecure” thank [zb] I’m out of it now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
possibly the usual 2 across the back lightly pulled,but thats about it for anything like that…

Rentadent:
You can contest their argument that it’s an insecure load if you’ve already covered a decent distance before being stopped without the load moving.
At least he’'s used internals which is better than none at all and shows that he’s trying to follow guidelines. Maybe he failed the attitude test!

How would you do that? they have unlimited funds to fight anything unlike most drivers and just because the load hasn’t moved if its not strapped its insecure

Colin_scottish:

DickyNick:

sammym:

shuttlespanker:

If the trailer is unsealed they can ask the driver to open it up.If its sealed then they need to seek permission to bust the seal to see inside.If its a bonded load then they cant do jack about.

They can ask…but then without a warrant and no search power like the police can they actually make a driver open it up if he says you know what, no go and get a warrant if you want to look in there

DickyNick:

sammym:

shuttlespanker:

We received a memo a short while back regarding dvsa powers to check loads. There are two areas I’m aware of where they can check a load without reason. The m6 corridor and the m62. It’s part of a trial run to see how much money they make, sorry, see how they improve road safety before taking it nationwide. I can take a picture of said memo if you wish.

As others have said above,I have carried loads similar to this all over UK and Europe including bales of waste without strapping to modern requirements.Never lost a thing.I may have criss crossed pallets or bridged an upper layer but that’s it.On the other hand,as older drivers will recall,I used to do radical stuff like slow down for bends,etc.

Gidders:
As others have said above,I have carried loads similar to this all over UK and Europe including bales of waste without strapping to modern requirements.Never lost a thing.I may have criss crossed pallets or bridged an upper layer but that’s it.On the other hand,as older drivers will recall,I used to do radical stuff like slow down for bends,etc.

That is radical, most drivers are not happy if there are three axles on the floor.

Most paper mills I have loaded from, straps have not been allowed or they have used corners and Signode banding to the bed.

The load in the photo isn’t going to move back or forth, you would have to drive like Limey Phil to lose it over the side.

But unlike Phil. I am pleased to be retired because of all this bull manure

mac12:

Rentadent:

How would you do that? they have unlimited funds to fight anything unlike most drivers and just because the load hasn’t moved if its not strapped its insecure

Having unlimited funds doesn’t mean they would win a case if you contested it.

I used to transport oils and lubricants, IBCs and drums etc, which were always double stacked and we had no end of arguments over the loads and the loading with the lubricant company (We’ve done it like this for 20 years!) and with our own company (just get on with it) so one night I strapped up as norma, ratchets on some, internals on others, and took the truck into the DVSA at Crick for a definite answer (Am I risking prosecution if you pulled me with this load?). They looked it over and stated that although they weren’t crazy about how the company had loaded it as a driver I had done my best to secure it, and as I had already driven about 100 miles it was arguably secure as nothing had moved, and for that reason the guy said that if he had pulled me in for a check he would not be confident in trying to take the matter any further.

He also said that he needed a reason to pull somebody just for a load check, for example bulging curtains. That was about 3 years ago so I don’t know if that’s changed or not.

Gidders:

You mean you drive according to the load you’re carrying? Weirdo :open_mouth:
You’ll be driving to the conditions of the road next!!