Thinking of taking the plunge

Hello Guys

First time poster, long term lurker. Great forum, very informative.

Let me apologise in advance for the questions, I’m a bit stupid.

Ok so I embarked on a career change 6 months ago from my office job that I hated. Was quite well paid, decent hours, free parking, decent office fanny dotted about, free coffee, dress down Friday all that stuff, but it was eating my soul and being nice to people I wanted to nut was grating me, so after 12 years I bailed. Long story short my career change has gone ■■■■ up, been a nightmare. Cost me 5 grand to retrain and it’s been gash for a few reasons I can’t be arsed to go into.

Before retraining I told my missus I wanted my Class 1 and she convinced me it was not me. You’re too impatient on the road she said, you moan at everyone on the road and you’re never more stressed than when you’re driving. She’s wrong but I let her have that one. Yeah I moan at morons on the road, but I’m not stressing when doing it. More running commentary on what’s going on.

Anyway I’m nearly brassic now so I’m going to do class 2 first. She thinks it’s a good idea now as I’ve been moping around the house like a “bag of bones” for a month. So here come the questions:

Is driving for a living as bad as some on here say? Have they ever done anything else to
compare it to?
Is South Wales (Swansea area) a decent place to find work for a class 2 Driver?
Any knowledge of Big Wheelers in Cardiff being a good place to train?
I haven’t had medical or applied for provisional yet - what’s the shortest I can get passed in from say tomorrow?

Any answers, any advice greatly appreciated.

I was in a dead end job that was also eating into my soul. I retrained and passed C in Dec 17 and C+E in Feb. Best move I’ve ever made mate. Yes you have a good moan at other drivers, and more often than not certain hand signals are used as well.
The job itself is easy and if you like your own company it’s perfect. You can still find camaraderie amongst other drivers, but you will always find the ones that moan at everything and anything.
I’m not in South Wales so can’t comment on your location but I’d say have a look on Indeed or other job sites and get a feel for what your potential earnings could be.
The hours can be long and the planners can be a little…well…stupid, but that’s easy to overcome.

Good luck matey with whatever your choices are [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, yeah the older I get the more I realise it’s working closely with other people that make work ■■■■■■ I’ll check out the job sites and see what’s about. Warburtons are quite close and take new passes so that’s positive. Thanks again for your thoughts fella

Dangerous-Dan:
Thanks mate, yeah the older I get the more I realise it’s working closely with other people that make work [zb]. I’ll check out the job sites and see what’s about. Warburtons are quite close and take new passes so that’s positive. Thanks again for your thoughts fella

I don’t know about Warburtons your way but up here it’s 8hr shifts and paid 8hrs, even if you do under that. You’re paid of course if you go over as well. Sounds like a good start; and they’ve won a best employer award

The thing about “The shortest I can get passed in say, from tomorrow” Isn´t how many days will it take you. That´s easy, if you pass everything, about 4-5 days inc driving test. But you can´t just start “Tomorrow”. It seems like you really want to git on with it, like, right now :slight_smile:
It´s all gotta be booked in advance. Medical and Provisional licence can take up to 3 weeks to come back (tbf to DVLA I got mine in about a week), full CPC, Multiple choice and Hazard Perception tests, and finally, the actual driving test has to be booked in advance too.

When I head off for my Cat C, or Cat CE, I intend to go to the sponsor of this forums place, in the midlands. I have not seen one bad report about his school. Far from it, I see glowing reports.
petersmythe.co.uk/

The best thing, for me, is the free accommodation, while on the course, if you live over 70 miles away.
There are, of course, other training providers and you should always do a compare and see who suits you best.

Good luck though, mate. I´m sure you´ll do well :slight_smile:

stuwozere1:

Dangerous-Dan:
Thanks mate, yeah the older I get the more I realise it’s working closely with other people that make work [zb]. I’ll check out the job sites and see what’s about. Warburtons are quite close and take new passes so that’s positive. Thanks again for your thoughts fella

I don’t know about Warburtons your way but up here it’s 8hr shifts and paid 8hrs, even if you do under that. You’re paid of course if you go over as well. Sounds like a good start; and they’ve won a best employer award

That sounds good, I know it’s esrly starts with them, 4am start I think but that’s fine. Lots of drops too but I like the physical side. Can bin off the gym membership then!

steviespain:
The thing about “The shortest I can get passed in say, from tomorrow” Isn´t how many days will it take you. That´s easy, if you pass everything, about 4-5 days inc driving test. But you can´t just start “Tomorrow”. It seems like you really want to git on with it, like, right now :slight_smile:
It´s all gotta be booked in advance. Medical and Provisional licence can take up to 3 weeks to come back (tbf to DVLA I got mine in about a week), full CPC, Multiple choice and Hazard Perception tests, and finally, the actual driving test has to be booked in advance too.

When I head off for my Cat C, or Cat CE, I intend to go to the sponsor of this forums place, in the midlands. I have not seen one bad report about his school. Far from it, I see glowing reports.
petersmythe.co.uk/

The best thing, for me, is the free accommodation, while on the course, if you live over 70 miles away.
There are, of course, other training providers and you should always do a compare and see who suits you best.

Good luck though, mate. I´m sure you´ll do well :slight_smile:

Thanks mate, yeah funds are starting to run low and I’ve been around long enough to know that when you take a job you can easily get into that routine of working, getting paid, working getting paid, and before you know it a few years have passed and you’re stuck in a rut. Just feel I need to do it while I’m not doing anything else.

Yeah I’ve seen Peter Smythe mentioned here a lot, cracking reputation and great offers by the looks of it so definitely a consideration. I just need to get that provisional applied for ASAP and go from there. My gp has quoted me 130 for it, but there’s a place I can get it done for half that but not til mid sept which feels too far away. Could get my licence back by then and be studying for the theory side. Is there generally a long wait for that? Or can you get a slot in say a week / 10 days. Ideal scenario for me is to be qualified by end of October? Is that feasible? Want to get in ASAP as I know it ramps up big time heading towards crimbo.

Just for a helping hand, I used these two apps for my studying and cannot fault them as I passed first time. Yes they cost money but its money well spent

Multiple Choice/Hazard Perception is about a week ten days waiting time, London.
End of October would be, if you work at it, definitely do-able.

Medicals are HUGELY variable in price. General consensus is, I think, if you pay over 60 you´re paying too much.
First google I did…45 squids
nationwidemedicals.co.uk/?g … k4QAvD_BwE

If you look at Peters website he has the full package you need for LGV, medical, cpc, etc etc. Be worth giving them a ring just to find out what´s what?

EDIT: Medical is a tenner off for booking online. 35 quid? effin bargain!

About being impatient when you are driving, that’s me in a car. Put me in a commercial vehicle and my personality changes, no idea why, but I’m a lot calmer. You may be the same…

Used to be an electrician, now iv drove a few different types of lorries, in my opinion everyone of the driving jobs i enjoyed much more than working on a building site.

steviespain:
Multiple Choice/Hazard Perception is about a week ten days waiting time, London.
End of October would be, if you work at it, definitely do-able.

Medicals are HUGELY variable in price. General consensus is, I think, if you pay over 60 you´re paying too much.
First google I did…45 squids
nationwidemedicals.co.uk/?g … k4QAvD_BwE

If you look at Peters website he has the full package you need for LGV, medical, cpc, etc etc. Be worth giving them a ring just to find out what´s what?

EDIT: Medical is a tenner off for booking online. 35 quid? effin bargain!

Thanks for this info mate, much appreciated. I’m gonna get a better deal on the medical and definitely get that theory material you mention. Cheers again, I’ll let you know how I get on once I get the ball rolling.

albion:
About being impatient when you are driving, that’s me in a car. Put me in a commercial vehicle and my personality changes, no idea why, but I’m a lot calmer. You may be the same…

Yeah I think you’re probably right. Thing is, I feel calm but I moan. My heart rate is probably the same as if I’m just sat on my sofa but I moan and comment on what prats are doing! I need to stop though because it’s not nice for my passengers lol and it has the affect of people in the car thinking I hate driving when I actually really enjoy it. I’m just a miserable git basically!

Dangerous-Dan:

albion:

Yeah I think you’re probably right. Thing is, I feel calm but I moan. My heart rate is probably the same as if I’m just sat on my sofa but I moan and comment on what prats are doing! I need to stop though because it’s not nice for my passengers lol and it has the affect of people in the car thinking I hate driving when I actually really enjoy it. I’m just a miserable git basically!

You will fit right is as a driver.

95% of them are not happy unless they have something to whine and complain about. They could win the lottery and their first comment would be the jackpot was more last week.

marko91:
Used to be an electrician, now iv drove a few different types of lorries, in my opinion everyone of the driving jobs i enjoyed much more than working on a building site.

Interesting mate, especially as I’ve always thought building sites could be a laugh, interesting folk working on them, good banter, interesting and varied tasks etc. That reflects well on driving a lorry if someone has worked there is happier in a driving role now.

sammym:

Dangerous-Dan:

albion:

You will fit right is as a driver.

95% of them are not happy unless they have something to whine and complain about. They could win the lottery and their first comment would be the jackpot was more last week.

Ha ha - yeah that’s me! My other half always says I should be more positive. I always say I am positive. Positive that things are going to be crap!

Wouldn’t necessarily rule you out jbaz. Depends what the conviction was for, how long ago etc, financials again it depends. Lots of people have debt it doesn’t mean you are ruled out. It’s about how open you are to coercion a lot if the time.

albion:
Wouldn’t necessarily rule you out jbaz. Depends what the conviction was for, how long ago etc, financials again it depends. Lots of people have debt it doesn’t mean you are ruled out. It’s about how open you are to coercion a lot if the time.

Wrong thread, Boss?

Dangerous-Dan:
Thanks for this info mate, much appreciated. I’m gonna get a better deal on the medical and definitely get that theory material you mention. Cheers again, I’ll let you know how I get on once I get the ball rolling.

YW.
It was Stuwozere1 that mentioned the learning material.
Peter has said, in the past, that LGV4all was a good one, I think.

FREE ONLINE LGV THEORY QUESTIONS (approx 1000)