Your first Truck

I thought itd be fun to post a pic of your first truck ( did a search and couldnt find anything) or one of the first you drove.

My first driving job was for a family company in Lowestoft. Id heard a driver had left so rushed round there and got myself an interview. I did tell a little lie that Id driven trucks before but Id never even been in one. I got the job and my driving career started. I was taken for a test drive in a Ford D series which went ok but not great. But somehow I got the job. On the following Monday I was out on the road in an old Bedford TK.
Maybe rose tinted specs and all that but I loved the job. everyone got on great, it was a real family place. After a year I had an accident and my TK was a write off. But they knew how much I loved the job and how I looked after my vehicle so I ended up with a brand new Leyland Roadrunner. Well I was king of the road then spending a lovely summer working in Norwich city centre or around the coast from the Wash to Lowestoft. I loved it. Alas the company was taken over by another and it all changed. so then started my Tanker career.

Tankerman24:
0I thought itd be fun to post a pic of your first truck ( did a search and couldnt find anything) or one of the first you drove.

My first driving job was for a family company in Lowestoft. Id heard a driver had left so rushed round there and got myself an interview. I did tell a little lie that Id driven trucks before but Id never even been in one. I got the job and my driving career started. I was taken for a test drive in a Ford D series which went ok but not great. But somehow I got the job. On the following Monday I was out on the road in an old Bedford TK.
Maybe rose tinted specs and all that but I loved the job. everyone got on great, it was a real family place. After a year I had an accident and my TK was a write off. But they knew how much I loved the job and how I looked after my vehicle so I ended up with a brand new Leyland Roadrunner. Well I was king of the road then spending a lovely summer working in Norwich city centre or around the coast from the Wash to Lowestoft. I loved it. Alas the company was taken over by another and it all changed. so then started my Tanker career.

Although not the actual RL this was the truck I passed my class 3 in, and as naughty soldiers we all know how to pop the governor then they was like the proverbial muck of the shovel

Then got moved units and had a knocker to play with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[/quote]
That an AEC 10 tonner? Passed my class 2 on that effer. What a ■■■■■■■ to learn on. STeering wheel 3 foot wide. Double clutch up and down. Loved that thing :smiley:

My first as a civvy.

half cab foden.jpg

steviespain:

That an AEC 10 tonner? Passed my class 2 on that effer. What a [zb] to learn on. STeering wheel 3 foot wide. Double clutch up and down. Loved that thing :smiley:

My first as a civvy.
[/quote]
Same here at the ASMT, Leconfield and wach your hand on the ratchet handbrake ouch soon learned to bang them off with the heal of your hand :slight_smile:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hee hee yeah :smiley:
Did the test driving around Darlington. There´s a road there that goes under the railway, steep hill going down and JUST as you get under the bridge there´s a godawful right angle bend to go uphill on the way out.
4 miles an hour, pulling like a ■■■■ on the wheel, both hands on the right side pulling down. If you could do that you´d passed :smiley:

ldf3.jpg
20160827_161455.jpg
No pic as anyone could guess. My first as Kendricks in first pics colours. 679 BAY, would have been in 74, she were an old girl then. Spent a day with the gaffer to get the hang of the box n away I went, King of the road !!!

This S20 Foden was my first wagon as an owner driver, It made a few bob for me, With the old 150 Gardner engine & the 12 speed Foden gear box, The good old days IMO, Regards Larry.

This heat wave must be to blame for my laptop going daft, :blush: :blush: :blush: , Regards Larry.

I never had a truck,only a lorry or a wagon. :smiley:
First wagon I drove was in RAF,an “S” Type Bedford or an RL in RAF jargon, in Singapore 1964.
First lorry in civvie street was a Albion Reiver 7637 WJ running steel out of Sheffield after demob in 1967.

Passed test in a Ford D series 2417 artic then first lorry i had was a Dseries D1614 360 turbo 6 speed box N reg GWS544N 25 foot flat doing concrete products all over Wales and West Country bloody good lorry but had a tendency to blow head gaskets

clapped out J type Bedford builders lorry , well over 3 tons but the day after I passed my car test the gaffer said , you look 21 take the lorry and fetch a load of sand . That was one steep learning curve even though I’d driven lorries internal at the quarry .

also my first new lorry

Lawrence Dunbar:
000000This S20 Foden was my first wagon as an owner driver, It made a few bob for me, With the old 150 Gardner engine & the 12 speed Foden gear box, The good old days IMO, Regards Larry.

Nice motor Larry,the other 5 smart as well. :slight_smile:

Thank you, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Not my pic obviously, a Bill Clowes (Grey Stokie on trucknet) photo of one of my first trucks sisters! GWJ 823V, I had it in the summer of 1984, Bay Spencer from Ashbourne had it new but then went onto tankers so I came out of the garage to drive it. Coincidently mine, and the one in the pic, were both sold on to a haulier in Buxton in 1986 and we had new Fodens. ‘Allegedly’ mine went for test with its new owner and passed so the number plates and spec plates etc from FHL 567V were then swapped onto ‘mine’ and it passed again in disguise the following day! Can’t believe that any Buxton lads would do such a thing though! :laughing:

Pete.

My first Artic Foden Ex BOC Rotherham, Leyland 680 PP & The Foden 12 speed box, This was a great bit of gear I did lots of long distance work , In fact more than local tipper stuff, I took Spratts from North Shields To Hull Grimsby & Frazerbrough, Top paid jobs, Regards Larry.

windrush:
Not my pic obviously, a Bill Clowes (Grey Stokie on trucknet) photo of one of my first trucks sisters! GWJ 823V, I had it in the summer of 1984, Bay Spencer from Ashbourne had it new but then went onto tankers so I came out of the garage to drive it. Coincidently mine, and the one in the pic, were both sold on to a haulier in Buxton in 1986 and we had new Fodens. ‘Allegedly’ mine went for test with its new owner and passed so the number plates and spec plates etc from FHL 567V were then swapped onto ‘mine’ and it passed again in disguise the following day! Can’t believe that any Buxton lads would do such a thing though! :laughing:

Pete.

Now then Pete , how could you infer that fine upstanding Buxton men could possibly pull a stunt like that . Honest as the day is long ( in January )

A small family firm in Derbyshire, working the local gravel pits and limestone quarries. Loved it (at the time!)

Steve

rigsby:

windrush:

Pete.

Now then Pete , how could you infer that fine upstanding Buxton men could possibly pull a stunt like that . Honest as the day is long ( in January )

When working out of Croxden Gravel late 60’s, there was a company from Stoke (no names, etc) who had two red ERF 8 leggers which had the same registration numbers! I wonder if you could get away with it now?

Steve

I was driving and old J type Bedford for a farm supply place and the chassis snapped , not surprising when the average load was about 12 tons . Another J type appeared at weekend , body swopped , quick coat of paint , plates swopped and you couldn’t tell the difference .